Friday, April 17, 2009

God Give Me Strength

Not to fold that is. I sure hope I'm not on His bad side after scooting out early of Easter mass. I could sure use some strength. I went to our local County Parks & Rec to sign Chelsea up for summer camp today. Of course it was too late in the day to speak with a manager about her "accommodations."

After talking to some coworkers today they confirmed my inclination that they would have to accommodate her b/c of her disability. They are state funded, so by law, they'll have to make reasonable accommodations ... mostly just for her not being potty trained.

I'm sure they're going to love me. They already know us well from a year and a half ago when I had to pull Logan from preschool b/c their unqualified teachers wreaked of smoke and were running a glorified daycare.

When Logan was in the preschool summer camps last year I asked them if Chelsea would be able to attend when she was three even though she likely wouldn't be potty trained. They said no. That was before I read in the city's brochure that accommodations are made for ALL individuals with disabilities. If the city does it, the county should too, right? I'm sure not without a fight.

This afternoon when I asked the registrar to speak with a manager about accommodations I need for my daughter the three employees behind the desk stopped what they were doing and they all looked up at me. I'm sure they were thinking, "great, who's this coming in here trying to cause a ruckus?" Well I am not trying to cause any problems. I love their summer camps, they are run by energetic, enthusiastic college students (unlike their preschool teachers). All I want is for Chelsea to have the same opportunities Logan had.

God, give me the strength to hold my ground. I will not fold on this. They will accommodate.

2 comments:

The Sanchez Family said...

Hold your ground! You have my support too!

Jamy Dunbar, Head Coach said...

I will add another prayer that there won't be a fight at all. I will pray that the manager is a caring, compassionate individual is knows what needs to be done and does it!