Thursday, March 19, 2009

Our Brave Boys

This week has been extremely difficult. I guess you could say I'm taking the easy way out. If we don't talk about it, it's not happening. But it is. Our kids are sick. Our kids are very sick. Everyday we're losing them to the most awful disease; cancer.

Sunday night I got word that one of our roomates, Hayden, passed away. He was at home, surrounded by his family, no doubt being held by the ones that love him the most. Knowing that doesn't make it any easier though. Here are Chelsea and Hayden last spring.




I also got the news last weekend that our friend Jacob has relapsed for the second time. He has rhabdosarcoma. His family has been blessed with 8 good weeks at home with little Jacob since his miracle surgery on Christmas Eve. They had been told the entire tumor was removed but they would still follow up with chemo after his recovery. They have been on chemo since, but last week after much pressing, Jacob's mom was able to convince the doctors to repeat his CT scan early. Not only was it back, but there were three large tumors in his stomach. We went to visit them on Tuesday night, and Jacob was having a good day. He blew kisses to Chelsea when she left, it melted my heart. His family has decided to keep him at the hospital and keep him comfortable. They live over three hours away and it would be too difficult a trip for his frail little body. They estimated that his tumor is growing as rapidly as 2 cm each day. It seems unfathomable. Jacob is 2 1/2. His birthday would be in May. Please pray for peace for his family and comfort for little Jacob. I was thrilled when his mom told me that they went and had family pictures taken the week before they learned of his relapse. They will cherish those photos forever.

Jacob


I call these kiddos our roomates because we spent so much time with them and their families. We lived next door (literally) for days, and weeks, and some even months. We ate together, we played together, we laughed together and we cried together. I remember the day both of these families were admitted to our floor. Both families in shock, trying to sort through the emotions and figure out what the next step would be.

During Chelsea's last round of chemo I remember staying up late one night (one of many) because Chelsea wouldn't sleep. We sat out in the hallway (just the thought of the dirty hospital floor .... yuck), anyways, Chelsea and I, and Hayden, his dad and grandma sat out there for the longest time while Chelsea and Hayden pushed hot wheels back and forth to one another. Quite a few times we had to catch the cars before Chelsea went to chase it, forgetting she was attached to a pole of chemo! I also remember during that same visit, Miss Chelsea escaped, down the hall and when I caught up with her she had an empty medicine syringe in her hand. Of course I had flipped out, but we finally traced it to Hayden's room. He had just taken his medicine (I think that med was an appetite stimulant, nothing too scary) and Chelsea had ran across the hall to see him and while he wasn't there, she found his syringe!

When Jacob was first diagnosed, Jacob's family grappled with the idea of being on a study protocol. Mom and dad were worried, confused, angry; all understandably so. I remember when they left after their first admit (yep, we were there when they were admitted and still there when they went home that first time), they were worried b/c Jacob didn't have his central line yet, but instead they were taking him home with a picc line in his arm. We told them about Babylegs and how helpful they were at keeping the line tucked in there, I think I even had an extra boys pair I sent home with them.

I don't tell these stories to make you sad, I don't want anyone to read and be depressed. I hope if anything, you're angry. It's not even comprehensible to me as to why we are losing so many children to cancer. These are our sons and daughters, our cousins, neighbors, and grandkids. These are their stories. Please remember these kids and join me in fighting this horrible fight against childhood cancer. We will continue to walk, fundraise and raise awareness for childhood cancer this year. I hope you will join us in our efforts, not only in honor of Chelsea, but also for the other brave heroes, Jacob and Hayden.

3 comments:

Mommy to those Special Ks said...

We're praying for Jacob and for both boys' families. Cancer SUCKS.

Stephanie said...

It is hard not to be sad but I am very angry too. PRAYING HERE for Jacob's tumor to stop growing and go away and also praying for Hayden's family. Cancer does suck!

Rachel Dominguez said...

OMGosh...the tears from my eyes are uncontrollable. I will PRAY like nothing else to help Jacob pass peacefully.

Thanks for the update....I dont know what else to say other than I'm so sorry!