Saturday, March 14, 2009

My Mystery Girl

Flu, negative. Strep, negative. Chest xray, clear. CBC, good.

No snot, coughing or sneezing. Only one last thing to rule out as the cause for the fevers.

We tried to say no, but the ER doctor made a good point so we let them do it; get a urine sample that is. Do you know how they do that from a three year old that isn't potty trained? You guessed it, straight catheter. Ouch. She actually fought less than she does for a blood draw so it wasn't as traumatizing as I thought.

The UA was clear though, so no infection there. We left with diagnosis of mysterious "febrile illness". I like the sound of that. No infections, no craziness showing up in her blood. Just a nasty fever and a few petechiae. She likes to keep us on our toes. I knew her counts were good from our clinic visit on Tuesday (which I haven't had time to update, but it was all good.) She may just have gotten the spots from her fever.

Today she's feeling much better. Her fever has broken! She's pretty crabby and hasn't eaten much all day, but I'll take that over her non-responsive lethargic little self I saw yesterday. Besides, if she gets hungry enough, she'll eat. She has no problem with her weight!

And Logan? He spent yesterday with one Grandpa, then came home long enough to pack an overnight bag and left for the night with another Grandpa. Right now they're out antler hunting and playing with the baby goats. I'd say that's a pretty good start to his spring break! Let's hope he doesn't get this fever. We've got some fun stuff planned for next week if we can all get and stay healthy!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Elainah had a virus a few weeks ago that we ruled out all of these, and mono, and yes we had the icky clean cath. She also had petechiae on her feet and side, and she was refusing to walk, crying that her legs hurt. After a few days in the hospital on a good rochepin drip she felt well enough to come back home.

Her dx was leucopenia and neutropenia. Her white count has been hovering around 3 ever since.

I hope Chelsea is feeling better soon.

Heather said...

If the CBC was good I really think you can breathe.How difficult it is and will be for me,when the time hopefully comes,when we can say "it's just a virus."Will it get easier?Gosh I hope so.Life long Xanax otherwise for me.Glad she is feeling better