What an awful awful day to post. I couldn't neglect not saying anything, so once again I risk engaging your emotions, and I'm sorry I have so much to say tonight.
First, our friend Jacob passed away this afternoon. He was with his family and he is finally at peace, cured from his cancer. Oh how I wish we could attend his services, but from our home they are four hours away. If you would like to visit his page or leave a comment or prayer for his family you can do so here.
On another very emotional note, I am extremely saddened to post that our president, the leader of the greatest country in the world, has completely embarrassed himself on national television. I know all of my readers who are special needs advocates caught this, but for those who may not be as tuned in, here he is in all of his brilliance. I wonder if everyone who voted for him is still glad they did?
Call me sensitive, tell me I'm overreacting, that's fine. I call it advocating. That's my job now and I don't take it lightly. My sister asked me tonight if I would have thought much of it five years ago ... you know, pre-Chelsea. I may not have blogged about it then, but the more I think about it, I do think I would have felt uneasy hearing that comment. I've always considered myself to be a professional. As a teacher, I filter my conversations and my language when in public. I may use the words crap, dammit or even worse when I'm at home with my family, but then again I use words like potty, toot and poo-poo only in the safe zone of my home as well. You just have a sensitivity for others when you are a professional. Especially in a professional setting where you are influencing young lives.
On the topic of influencing young people ... how many young people look up to the president? How many people watched the Tonight Show Thursday night? How many people got the message while watching our great president that it was okay to make fun of others who are disabled? It was funny, he laughed, and didn't even think twice about the joke. He didn't flinch. If Obama can speak like that then it's okay for the rest of society, right?
Wrong. And for those of you who blew it off, or who sarcastically noted, "he's gonna catch a lot of flack for that!" ... shame on you. The president of the United States insulted all individuals with disabilities when he compared his poor bowling skills to the skills of persons in the special olympics. He insulted your granddaughter, your niece, your cousin, your friend ... my daughter. And for that I am disappointed. I actually respected this man. Now I feel like I have to protect my daughter from him. What a sad day for America.
Hello world!
3 years ago
9 comments:
I think rob makes an interesting point
http://www.schuylersmonsterblog.com/2009/03/my-thoughts-on-dumb-joke.html
You may disagree with what he says, but it made me think.
I'm holding him accountable for what he said. He's not getting off easy from this democrat. Clearly Obama needs to be educated on the abilities of those with special needs. Because he's flattering himself if he thinks he can bowl as well as Kolan McConiughey, a special olympian who has bowled 5 perfect games.
Thanks, Carey. Your words go far.
I'm still just in shock over all of this....he should KNOW better!
I'm so very sorry to hear about Jacob. My prayers will be with his family.
I am exceedingly disappointed in our president, but I would vote for him again. My other choice was someone who clearly does not support people with disabilities in his policies - his stance on the community inclusion act was reprehensible. He basically had no policy on disability. His words may be more carefully turned, but his agenda is much more detrminental to my son than Obama's.
Obama needs to seriously address the situation and apologize to more than Tim Shriver. But, I'll still take his agenda over the agenda of the other side of the aisle.
Prayers for those who have lost their children. It's heartbreaking.
As someone who voted for Obama I will say that I am not upset that I voted for him based on this comment. I am the mother of a special needs child who passed away 2 years ago and I am disappointed that he made this comment, but I do not think this means he is a horrible president. I think all presidents make stupid comments occasionally including President George H. Bush who called his half hispanic grandchildren "my brown grandchildren". I think they can all offend a group of people without meaning too. I am glad that Obama has apologized and I do think he is now much more aware of the issues that face the disabled and hopefully he will continue to make strides to help during his administration. That is my hope.
Sorry for your week.Knowing all to well the feelings soaring through your mind and body as we continue to walk on our very own 4th floor.As for Obama ....I have been living in my bubble of 4E the last week so when I heard yesterday I was SHOCKED.Perhaps the President of our country should spend his time in the White House fixing this country instead of shmoozing it up on late night TV.Seriously ... what was the purpose of that?Trying to continue the illusion that he's just a regular "Joe Plummer"like the rest of us ... guess that backfired.
:) You have an award waiting for you on my blog!
I have been trying to put in writing what to say about the comments made by our President. I came upon your blog and you pretty much said it all. I'm not really sure why he would appear on the Late Show, you would think he had a few more important things to attend to. I posted a link on my blog to yours so my friends could watch the clip. Thanks
OMG!!! I did not see this, however I have now and completely IRATE! Who does that? What an idiot!
What kind of president would make fun/joke about that?
OMGosh am I outraged right now. I hope he realizes the idiot that he made himself out to be!
Post a Comment