Wednesday, March 04, 2009

Green Hair and Owies

So after posting my wordless Wednesday pictures today I thought I may owe you an explanation. Renee, no, not a good mommy, you should have heard me by the time we were done with bath time!!! If you see me don't make fun of the bald spot in the back of my head (can you see me pulling my hair out?)

Well last night was night 6 out of the last 7 (tonight is 7 out of 8) that Ryan has been gone. No, he's not out with the boys, or with his girlfriend, almost every night he is working and gets home around 8, or he is at class and gets home after 10. Our kids go to bed at 7:30. Clearly this leaves one tired mom by the end of the night. The hardest part of my kids' day is dinner, bath, and bedtime, and I get all three, ... by myself. I feel like a single mom, really, I don't know how single mom's (or military mom's) do it alone! Ahhhh! You should see my house (or maybe not!)

So last night, tired, and sick of being stuck inside with the cold weather, I thought I'd be a nice mommy and let the kids use the bath paints they have been dying to use. The same bath paints Logan opened a while back and painted our carpet with. It started out so much fun, painting the bathtub walls, mixing colors, teaching mommy about primary and secondary colors. Then this oh so smart mommy thought it would be cute to put a dot of paint on the kids foreheads. They thought that was funny. Logan hadn't even thought about using it as body paint.

His next move? All over body paint. I mean ALL OVER. He was red, like Spiderman. Well gosh he was having so much fun, so wouldn't it be MORE fun to paint Chelsea all over too? With a handful of paint and one quick swipe, he had painted her entire face. Fortunately as you can see she kept her eyes closed. Okay, it was too cute, so I had to take a picture. Things quickly got out of hand. Next he grabbed another handful and plopped it in her hair.

Before I know it Chelsea is screaming, "ow, ow, ow" (that's one of her new words), and she's pointing at her face. Frantic, I realize the paint is hurting her eyes, so I grab a towel and try to wipe it away from her eyes. You can see the bath water is PURPLE and wasn't a good choice for splashing water on her face. I was doing everything I could to get the water drained, the shower going and getting this stuff rinsed out of her hair and off of her face. In the meantime Logan starts screaming and crying that his eyes are burning too! I was panicked and Logan was saying over and over, "I'm sorry Chelsea, I'm sorry!" He's splashing dirty water on her and I'm trying to get him out of the way. Do you see where this is going? What happened to that fun night Mommy had planned?

The best part? I bathed the kids before we started to paint. Obviously I had to bathe them both again, only the green paint in their hair ... didn't wash out. I washed Chelsea's hair three times and she still showed up to school with green hair today. When Logan realized his hair was green today he started crying hysterically and asked, "will it be like this forever?" He's a smart kid, but clearly hasn't grasped the concept of hair growth and haircuts.

Chelsea's teacher actually took her down to the nurse today. They couldn't figure out what the big purple spot was on her arm, she was afraid it was a bruise (I think I've made her a little paranoid!) No bruise, just bath paint! Here is the rest of our photo shoot from last night.









*Oh, and the nice green paint behind Logan, ... it's permanent ... as in not coming off.

15 comments:

Michelle said...

What an experience!!! It looks like they had a great time though. Love the pics.

btw, I just left you an award on my blog:)

Tamara said...

Sounds a bit crazy, but the pictures are adorable ...

are you sure the green paint isn't coming off the tub? There has to be something out there that will take it off ...

The Bryant Family said...

Looks like fun.....
Try soft scrub with bleach, it takes out everything it seems or the magic eraser by Mr Kleen.
I love the pictures!!

Jamy Dunbar, Head Coach said...

Oh no!! I guess at least they had fun while it lasted. We will be gone this weekend for a wedding, but how about next week on one of the nights Ryan works let's get together.

Believe me I know how tiring that last part of the day is when you are doing it alone. It always helps me to break it up with a fun activity like seeing friends!!!

Mommy to those Special Ks said...

Note to self: Never buy bath paint. LOL

Megan said...

Oh man!

If you haven't tried a Magic Eraser - try it. That thing gets everything off!

Natalie said...

Carey,
I love, love, LOVE the 1st pic of Chelsea and the pic ofhe kids hugging. They came out soooo good! Trust me, I know those nights doing all the bedtime stuff is hectic without the hubby...but it really makes you enjoy the nights when you have help!:-) Hang in there!

Rachel Dominguez said...

Holy Cow...you are brave to have done that.

As for being a single parent, even for just a few days, is very very very hard. I am a single mama to 4 kids and it is a struggle every day plus I work full time to make ends meet.

I feel for you...I really do!

Anonymous said...

So, when Grandma thinks it is a good idea to give Claire bath paints, I will make her leave them at her house...got it!!! I have already made her keep the markers at her house. Thanks for sharing. I love reading the description of your adventures. We will be thinking and praying for you as you tough out being a single mom. And for Ryan as he misses this time with his family.
Take care,
Sarah (Claire's mom)

Heather said...

Loved the follow up photos almost as much as the first!

Krissy said...

These photos are great! I've got to agree with the magic eraser as well.
Sounds like they had fun while it lasted!

Becca said...

Oh, my comment was going to be exactly the same as Renee's! Hahaha! Note to self: Do not EVER buy bath paint for Samantha.

Shannon @ Gabi's World said...

Yikes! Our experience wasn't as traumatic. Thank God! Ours washed off so easily! Hoping you get blond hair back soon!

SunflowerStories said...

OMG! What an experience! Phew, thanks for the warning about the bath paints, we've had the crayons and they take awhile to wear off the tub, too.

My Three Sons said...

You don't have to share that story twice. I will not be buying bath paint anytime soon. I have found that fingernail polish remover has taken magic marker off of things in my house when Carson tries to stay three messes ahead of me.