I have a confession to make.
When Chelsea was born and it was confirmed that she had Down syndrome I was in denial.
When she started rolling over at 4 weeks old, I was in denial.
Her therapists started doing home visits, and they raved about her progress. Yep, still in denial.
You see early on, I knew she had a disability, but I was convinced she was the one. You know, the one who would walk on time, eat independently, drink from a straw. Talk (with impeccable speech I might add). Yep, I thought my kid might be special. Maybe, just maybe if I worked hard enough she wouldn't be "disabled". Chelsea would be the one who met all of the milestones of a "normal" baby.
But time started passing. We missed a few milestones. Sometimes we would just barely squeak into that "normal" range, like when she began walking at the end of her 18th month. That was good enough for me though. Maybe she could still be "normal."
Then more time passed. She started falling further and further behind. I really didn't have time to fret much while she was in the hospital receiving chemotherapy for her leukemia. We spent those days fighting for her life. After all, she was special. Surely she could catch back up once she was off chemo.
Reality check.
Second birthday. No words.
Third birthday. No words.
Immediately following the third birthday I was slammed with my first IEP as a mom. Ouch.
I began asking her therapists and teachers, "is there a chance she might not talk?"
A tough question I know. Who wants to answer that? No educator in their right mind is ever going to promise a frustrated mother that their child will speak eventually. That's a guarantee nobody can make. And they didn't. I did however note that nobody was using the "she'll talk, give her time" anymore. That's what scared me. Was everyone losing faith?
I've said since this child was born, the ONE thing I want her to be able to do, is speak. Communication is the most vital aspect of her success as an adult, and finally she is having a breakthrough in her language development. While most babies are meeting these milestones at 18-24 months, Chelsea, now 38 months has started talking.
She says:
ow or owie
ummy (yummy)
me
Ella (a friend in her class who also happens to be the speech therapists daughter)
Mom (yes finally I'm getting it fairly consistently)
uh oo (love you, this melts my heart)
wuh (one)
two
eeeh (three)
six
Add this to her repertoire of:
Dad, hi, bye, shoes, des (yes)
And we've finally got those first 15 words!!!
I know, not a big deal to most, but it's music to my ears. I think the longer we wait for our kids to talk, the more meaningful it is. I never knew how special these few words could be.
So clearly over the past year I've had to pull myself out of that place called denial and accept the fact that she does indeed have Down syndrome. She has a disability and things will be a little harder for her. So now when somebody asks me, "will she ever talk?" I can answer with confidence, "she will, in her own time."
* On a side note, I have to put in a plug for one of our all time favorite books. It is titled Ruby in Her Own Time. It's the most touching story of a duck doing things ... in her own time, just like our Chelsea (and Chelsea loves the book!) It's really a great read for all kids, and adults. Helping us all understand that faster isn't necessarily better. We will all do what we will do ... in our own time. Thank you to one of my Hillcrest friends who gave us that book at Chelsea's birth!
Hello world!
3 years ago
12 comments:
I am so glad she is beginning this new path of communication! Funny, I have always been patient about the speech delays more so than the others. I guess I just expected it more than the others.
Popped over from 'she's our angel'. My pumpkin with Down's doesn't talk yet. We adopted him, so I'm sure many windows were missed in the first 8 years, but I totally felt like you did. 'I'll potty train him. I'll get him talking'. Reality bites sometimes. I'm SOOO glad for you that Chelsea is starting to talk. That's when my oldest started (he has cp). He is 11 now and totally speaks in complete sentences (and starting to read!), so I'm sure you guys are well on your way. VERY exciting.
You guys are darling.
Yay for Chelsea!!!I can feel every bit of your post as I envision the future with my son. He's only a year old now - so they delays aren't as obvious. But, it brings me comfort to read your experiences and remind myself to just breath. The ability to communicate is the biggest hope for my son and I so hope he will be able to, but only time will tell!!
We received Ruby in Her Own Time as a baby gift and it has become a family favorite! Also love "My Friend Isabelle" incase you haven't seen it!
Carey,
I am glad to hear she is saying words, just give her more time and before you know it she will wake up saying complete sentences. My daughter was about 3 1/2 to 4 before she started talking in sentences and now I can't get her to shut up. LOL
good Luck
Donna
Carey,
I am glad to hear she is saying words, just give her more time and before you know it she will wake up saying complete sentences. My daughter was about 3 1/2 to 4 before she started talking in sentences and now I can't get her to shut up. LOL
good Luck
Donna
Go Chelsea! I can't wait for the day I hear your mommy tell you to just stop talking and be quiet for a minute. When that day comes I am going to remind Mommy how you have found your "normal". You are beautiful and I think everything you do in your time is the perfect time to do it.
AWESOME! Your post brought tears to my eyes.
Thanks for sharing your latest victory. I love your honesty and your perspective. Chelsea is just a doll, and she will continue to inspire as she goes through life.
You guys are awesome!
Way to go Chelsea!! That is awesome.
Carey--I think all of us Moms think our kids are going to break that mold, that stereo type that they are labled with at birth. I learned all to quickly and learn it over and over again....Tucker time, we are all on Tucker time. When he is ready he will go and do and say and BE everything he can. It is a very hard lesson...I question it a lot, wish it would be faster, pray that it will be progress made no matter how long it takes.
It was a great post...one that I think a lot of us can relate to. Hugs to you. Chels is growing so....it has been so fun watching her through the years. Your family has touched my life and I am grateful to you. :)
Oh and guess what.... we get it. WE, mothers, fathers, sisters, brothers....those who are closest to our loved ones with special needs. WE GET that it is the little things, that first word that took longer than a typical child, that first step, sitting up, eating by mouth, grabbing one cherrio not a hand full, standing on one leg, getting dressed on their own....we treasure these things... most take them for granted. That is our gift
Completely get it. I blogged about something similar recently, how when we first get that diagnosis, after the initial shock, we dream that OUR kid will be the one to break all those barriers.
Kayla is five and still nonverbal. But we finally have a couple of words -- NO and EAT. Really, what more do you need????
Post a Comment