Sunday, January 25, 2009

New Bed!



Watching Chelsea crawling back in bed last night made me nervous to say the least. As she kicked her leg over the side railing she almost fell backwards. The thought of her climbing onto the chair and attempting to crawl back into her crib in the middle of the night while groggy eyed just makes me too uncomfortable. She's done it many times, and it's sort of become our norm. We put the gate up in her doorway, so if she gets out of bed, she can't come get us or run around the house. So far, she just gets right back into bed. It's dark anyways and there's not much to do in her room in the dark.

Today I told Ryan we needed to do something different, so he turned her bed into the toddler bed. The problem being there is no side rail! He could have concocted something by drilling some holes into the side of the bed, but we're still hoping to sell that thing someday and we don't want to mess it up. So here's our makeshift crib rail through this experimental period.



We put the side rail from the crib against the bed and it is held in place temporarily by her night stand ;) I know, a little trashy, but it works for now. I'm thinking about making some kind of bed bolster like this for her soon to help keep her from rolling out! It won't be inflatable, but more like a pillow. I'm still thinking of how (and what) I would use to make it heavy at the bottom to keep it in place. Then I'll stuff the rest with batting so it's soft. It will be pretty small too since it only needs to fit around her crib mattress.

If she does fine with this little bed, then we'll sell the crib as we originally planned and Daddy is going to make her a new toddler bed. It will match the rest of her furniture, and will be sturdy enough for one of us to crawl in there with her if we need to. There's nothing better than snuggling with your little one at night! IF this doesn't work, and she's up all the time, then we go to plan B. Put the crib back together and buy a crib tent.

Here is the setup with the gate keeping her contained! You can see her rocking chair next to her bed where she was climbing up onto the arm and kicking her leg over the railing and climbing in and out of bed! She's quite the little monkey!


Wish us luck!!!

12 comments:

Smurfy said...

Carey,
They make a rail for a toddler bed that slips under the mattress. You can go to this site and look at the type I am talking about. http://www.thenewparentsguide.com/baby-bed-rails-1.htm
I have one, don't need it and if I knew how to get it to you, you could have it.

My Three Sons said...

I was at Wal Mart and bought a toddler rail for under $25.00 for Carson. It is like the one mentioned above where it goes under the matress and is kind of like a baby gate where you can make it longer or shorter to fit the length of the bed. Maybe that would be a good investment.

She looks like a little angel while sleeping. That is win I love looking at Carson as well. LOL

Jamy Dunbar, Head Coach said...

Carey,
I have two bed rails that fit under the mattress and tighten up so they are snug. You can have one or both. We will be in town on Wed. I can bring them to you if you want them. I'll call you later about it.

She looks adorable sleeping there.

Pam said...

Okay so if Chelsea is anything like Rhett, don't buy one of the bedrails. Rhett squishes him self down no matter how tight they are and gets trapped in them all the time.

The little round thing you put the link to, well I saw one somewhere and it actually had a peice of flannel that you laid over the sheets and kind of tuck down into the side so that Chelsea's weight would keep it from falling off.

I can't remember where now, but I thought about buying one and putting one of those flat waterproof crib pads over it, then laying a blanket over it was well, (Rhett refuses to sleep on anything unelss its minky or a flannel quilt anyways, he never sleeps on sheets)

So anyways, that might be an idea. I know you are handy in the whole sewing business, so maybe you could make something like that for her.

Just an idea.

Hope you have a good week, and I LOVE her jammies!!

Pam said...

The flannel was attached to the pillow, like sewed to it...not sure if you got that out of what I said. I think my fingers were typing faster than my mind was working. ;)

All 4 My Gals said...

Looks good to me. I hope she does well, I am sure she will! HUGS

Tamara said...

Well, I'd use "inventive" rather than "trashy"!!!

When my older kids did that sort of thing, I used to put pillows on the floor in case they fell out of bed. I wonder if you could somehow make bolsters out of those full body pillows - whatever they call them.

I wouldn't worry about getting too extravagant. This is probably not going to be necessary for a long period of time ... hopefully :-)

Rachel Dominguez said...

Looks like it works for now. I'd see how she does and if she does well, go to Wal-mart like Kaci said above and get one of the toddler rails.

She is such a sleeping beauty.

Beth said...

Too cute!! Also look at snugtuckpillow.com - we have them for our girls and have not had any trouble with either of them falling out of their beds (and their in twin beds)!!! They are a little pricey ($50 each if I remember correctly)!!! Plus they look great and you can buy them to match the room decor!

Becca said...

Looks like a great setup--I'm anxious to hear how she does with it. Ikea also has those bed rails that slide under the mattress, for $10.00. She looks pretty comfy in the pics!

Becca said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
The Foley Five said...

That's very cute!! I love to see pictures of her sleeping! Brings back memories for me that I know you guys are glad to put behind you! She looks good... take care guys.