Thursday, January 22, 2009

The Backpack (continued ...)

I hunted all morning looking for his requested black Spiderman backpack. Finally at Target I found it! This is really not the time of year to be looking for backpacks, they're mostly sold out or on clearance. Since Target is almost a half an hour from our house, I called to have one of my sisters pop in and make sure they carried this very special backpack. Sure enough, they had one left! She reservd it for us at the customer service desk. I felt bad for asking her to go out of her way, but I dreaded the idea of loading both kids up after school, driving across town only to discover they no longer carried it.

Before getting to Target, we had to stop for gas and to drop off some recycling. Logan about crawled out of his skin with excitement! He could hardly stand the waiting. We went straight for the customer service desk and there it was. Black Spiderman Backpack.

"I don't like that one."

Seriously?! Who is raising this kid? He sure needs to learn some manners!!!

Once again the hunt was on. We spent 20 minutes just trying to figure out WHERE they sold backpacks in Target. We finally found them, and fortunatley they had a large inventory still. Even better, they were all on clearance! I'll admit, I'm not a big fan of the over commercializd characters you see all over childrens' products. I try to avoid buying things with Spiderman, Batman, Transformers on them, but sometimes it's just not worth the fight. I had already decided I would give in this time and find him a nice backpack without a superhero for next year.

OR, maybe I could try, bribery. "If you get this backpack I'll get you a lunch box to go with it." And without a second thought, he took the bait. Fortunately the lunch boxes were also on clearance (I made sure of that before I made the offer). We ended up with a very nice backpack for $9.99 and an insulated lunch bag WITH water bottle for only $3!!! Together they were cheaper than the black spiderman backpack anyways, so everyone left happy!

On the way home Logan told me he never wanted a new backpack. He wanted to use this one forever. I have a feeling he'll be changing his tune come August.

*Update: Logan is home sick today. He came down with a fever last night after dinner. He was shaking like crazy in his sleep, it scared me a bit. He's fine today. Of course they have to be fever free for 24 hours before returning to school, so he's hanging out with Dad today. He's doing so well, he's already found time to break ... yes, break his new backpack!!! It's still usable, it's only the decorative string on the front.

3 comments:

My Three Sons said...

Well I'm glad it all worked out. I hope he gets to feeling better. I have had Coltan out for three days and Cody for two. They are both running fevers and feel achey all over. Guess it's the flu going around again. So far Carson and I haven't gotten it....knock on wood.

Becca said...

Oh my goodness, this is such a funny story. I loved part 1, with the big dramatic Kindergarten scene. :-) Well done on the bribery! A little bit of distraction never hurts...

I'm glad Logan's feeling better. This is definitely the year of the sicknesses--stuff doesn't seem to end!

Rachel Dominguez said...

LOL....funny backpack kid! Man do I know this feeling.

Sorry Logan is sick...I'll pray that it is better before school on Monday.

Love and Prayers,

Rachel