We went out to celebrate tonight. It's a new day. Starting over really. Yesterday was Ryan's last day of "class" for his CNA course. A few days of clinicals and a state exam and he'll have one piece of the puzzle behind him. He has a 97% in the class so far. I told him he's been hiding those smarts in there somewhere, too bad he didn't pull them out in high school, things could have been a lot easier! Today, Ryan made it through his first day of clinicals. Do you know what clinicals are like in a CNA course? Not so much fun, ... at all. Poor guy, he stuck to it though and still plans to go back for more. That's reason enough to celebrate.
He also finally stepped up and talked to his instructor about her language. Earlier he had told another student in the class about Chelsea. The whole thing, the Down syndrome, the cancer, everything. Well on Saturday when when we were in the E.R. with Chelsea, he was called out of class early (yep I called him out, I felt like his mom calling to give him permission to leave early). I suppose after he left, the girl he confided in likely told the instructor all about Ryan's daughter, b/c today when she was talking one on one with Ryan, he asked about her. This took him aback for a second as he didn't know she knew anything about her, but he took the opportunity to make it clear her language was offensive and it made him very upset and offended him deeply. She apologized, a lot. Twice. I think she got it. He said she identified with him in sorts, b/c she is a lesbian and her daughter uses the word 'gay' a lot. You would think she would have "got it" a long time ago. I'm just happy she's in the know now, and hopefully will filter her language a bit. It was hard for me to sit back and let this one play out. I was furious when I learned the language this teacher was using, but I knew this was Ryan's class, he had to take care of it himself. Like Chelsea, he did it in his own time, in his own way. All in all, I'd call it a success.
I've also reached a fork in the road myself. A few weeks ago I sent in my resignation for teaching Jazzercise. I left over three weeks notice, my last day would be October 30. If you're counting that would be this coming Thursday. It was a difficult decision, but I felt it was best for me right now to take some time off. While it is a great program, and it does help relieve stress, as an instructor I was finding it to bring more stress into my life than what it was helping me with. I was losing two entire mornings with Chelsea (and her mornings are limited as preschool starts in January!) I also wasn't really making any money as we live almost a half an hour away, and the drive used up more gas than I would like to admit. I also really just want to be a student again. I don't want to have to worry that I'm not doing every last thing perfectly, I don't want to worry that I've said something to offend someone, I don't want to hear that I shouldn't talk about my kids ... because people don't really care. That's hurtful, and I take it personal; a little too personal usually.
So after putting in my notice, I knew I wanted to have a special last class, and with the holiday, I thought a Halloween class would be fun. I was asked not to tell any of the students I was leaving, not even at my last class. So I didn't, but someone heard, from someone else ... you know how that goes, so by last Thursday, I felt I couldn't lie. So my story was out to my students. Students who I absolutely adore by the way. Then I received an email today telling me I need not return for my last two classes this week.
I'm not going to bash or say anymore, I'm sure you're forming your own opinion here. I will say I'm sad that I'll miss those good byes. At least I don't have to worry about crying now. Oh, and all the treats, goodies and prizes I bought for my students (to give away at the last class I'll never have) will just have to go to Logan's Kindergarten class. I'm sure there won't be any objections coming from him! If you're a student of my Tuesday / Thursday morning class, I will miss you, and please feel free to keep reading our blog, and email me anytime! I still plan to pop in for a class from time to time, and don't worry, I'll bring my side kick with me. She too, will miss Jazzercise.
Hello world!
3 years ago
7 comments:
WOW! I can't believe the powers to be at jazzercize! What a bunch of jerks! (There, I said it for you!) That's like when I got fired from MOPS after Kennedy was born. Some people need to grow a heart!
Wow, you certainly do have changes going on! I feel like we're in such a state of flux right now, here - figuring out what to do first, if our time's not filled by cancer treatment.
I'm so, so happy to hear about Ryan's conversation with his teacher! That's awesome.
I'm glad you'll have more free time to spend with Chelsea - but very sorry to hear you'll miss your last couple classes. That must be such a letdown.
Okay Carey, I think between Pam at Rhett's journey, Renee at My special K's, Tammy at Parker and myself, we all have had a plateful with hurtful people!!! What is it with all of these rude people?
I have said it before that I own my own business and with everything I go through with Carson's medical issues and Coltan and Cody with all of the soccer, family has to come first. If my employees acted like they were put out by me talking about my kids, I'm not sure how I would handle it. Carson has pretty much grown up in my salon because I work half days around his dr. appts. For the most part, we are one big happy family.
You can come work for me anytime and bring your little Chelsea with you. She would probably build my business up:-)
As far as Ryan, good job standing up for your family. I know that as hard as it was to hold off, it was probably more effective to wait it out and then talk to her. Well done.
And about the CNA, I started as an EMT and had to work my way up as well. CNA's are just as important to me as a RN. If anything, you will have more patient contact and it will be you that the patient remembers. Congrads on all your hardwork for youself and your family.
Take care and I will pray that you will have a great week.
Hugs honey, how unfair to your students, whose feelings you'd think they would still consider. ugh.
Lots of changes for you guys! Lots of prayers too!
WHAT!!!???? They just never cease to amaze me. Did they give you a reason why you didn't need to come? The signs that you made the right decision just keep piling up, don't they?
Go Ryan, we are so proud of him and all you guys are doing to try to make this dream a reality for you guys. I am so glad he had the talk and it went well. Chalk that up to another person educated!
How is Chelsea feeling?
You're kidding, right? That is the craziest thing I have ever heard of! The first thing I couldn't believe is that you would be asked to stop talking about your kids...huh? I always love to hear the instructors talk. It takes my mind of my "work." Then, why are they being jerks and asking you not to teach your last classes? And in an email? How immature and unprofessional! I'm speechless. I'm so sorry that happened. At least I will still get to see you!! That reminds me..I think we need to set a date.
Your right, life is full of changes which are not always fair. Your decision to stay home and spend more time with your daughter is admirable.
Post a Comment