Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Vaccinations?

Maybe I'm completely off, but Chelsea's not at the top of her game the past couple of days and I'm thinking she may have ... chicken pox.

Not the chicken pox you and I remember from our childhood, broken out in red blisters, fighting the urge to itch with all our might. It would be considered chicken pox in it's mildest form, but nonetheless, it's super contagious.

She's had a diaper rash that simply won't disappear. Little red bumps on her bottom, for about a week now, that aren't effected by super dooper diaper doo. Even antibiotic butt was helped with diaper doo! She's also had a few bumps come and go over the past week, and today, a couple of pimple looking spots on her back. Maybe they are just pimples. Maybe they're ingrown hairs as Ryan guessed.

My suspicions are also on the rise due to a low grade fever the past couple of days, slight lethargy and a decrease in appetite. Has the kid stopped eating, not a chance, just slowed down a bit. And when I say slight lethargy, that means longer naps, cranky nights, and trouble getting out of the "fog" when she awakes. Other than that, she still goes, goes, goes.

I also have to wonder if her vaccination has been depleted because of the chemotherapy. Children who receive higher doses of chemo than Chelsea, or bone marrow transplants often have to repeat their vaccinations when they are well. I believe they said Chelsea's vaccinations didn't need to be repeated. Her immune system still isn't quite up to par, so she has less of a defense to the virus than the rest of us.

I suppose it warrants a call to the nurse. And to think I was doing so well, I hadn't called one time this month, and we're coming up on our monthly clinic visit in one week. Will the day come that I go an entire month without calling?

4 comments:

My Three Sons said...

Well it's possible that she can still get chicken pox even with the vaccination. My oldest son DID get it but a very mild form. Sorry to give you the bad news but it is a reliable one considering I have seen it firsthand.

Good luck

Anonymous said...

Sorry to here Chelsea isn't on her top game. With each day, week, month away from treatment things do get better.
Blessings- Amy Stapp

Jamy Dunbar, Head Coach said...

What!!!????? Poor baby!! I agree with the above comment. Our pediatrician reminded us when we got the vacacine that it may not prevent them completely from gettng the chicken pox, but if they got them if would be a mild case. Sounds like that is what the little lady might have.

Sorry they missed you last night. Maybe we can try again soon?

Talk to you later!

Mommy to those Special Ks said...

Kennedy has to get her vaccinations all over. They said hers were completely wiped out by the chemo. And it's finny to read this post tonight... Kennedy has the SAME pimples in her diaper area right now! It's so odd! I just found them as I was putting her night time diaper on. I'm pretty sure they weren't there this morning, but she's not wearing diapers during the day so I'm not exactly sure when they popped up, but she has about 20 of them. And a low grade fever. And she hasn't had her vaccinations done yet either *sigh*. Keep me posted on Chels. I'm taking Kenn in tomorrow unless the spots miraculously go away! They are VERY tender to the touch, so she definitely needs them looked at!