I think we've finally made some meaningful revelations about our new life. I don't mean to be pessimistic all the time, but I think I've finally figured out why things seem so difficult to adjust to. Let me explain. If you're a parent, I think you'll understand.
Imagine your child as a baby, just before he/she is able to walk, maybe 10 months old. They're crawling and beginning to explore their world. Still a baby, but trying so hard to be a toddler. Now think about your child a year later. Full fledged toddler mode. Entering that terrible two stage, tearing into everything, throwing fits and rearing their independence. Two completely different stages right?
Just like your child, Chelsea made this transition from baby to toddlerhood also. The difference ... her transition happened overnight. We left last September with a baby, just beginning to walk. We came home this summer with an ornery independent toddler. It was like we woke up at home one day in early June and our family was back, things were supposed to be great, but we weren't ready. We weren't ready for this new child. She's gone from baby, to sick child, to healthy, outgoing vibrant child when we weren't looking.
Logan is doing his best to handle this transition as well. If you have more than one child you've probably seen your older child behave like the younger, reverting to baby talk and such. Logan has been doing this a lot. I'm sure he has seen all the attention his sister has received in her short life, so it only makes sense that he would want to act like her. It's not fun for me though. He's not acting like a two year old, he's acting like a two year old with a disability. There's nothing cute, or fun about listening to TWO children in the backseat grunting and screaming, kicking the seats, chewing on books. It's just not fun.
And if you're wondering what I mean by 'two year old with a disability' it's the grunting and noises. Yes, she signs, but when you can't see her, signing isn't very effective, so her form of communication consists of grunts and repetitive sounds. Now, if we could get Logan back to acting like a five year old, and modeling good behavior and speech, maybe Chelsea will have the opportunity to pick up on it!
Hello world!
3 years ago
6 comments:
Carey,
Just give it time. School is starting and maybe Logan will start acting like a 5 year old again. As for Chelsea she will start talking just don't push or give up. My daughter was about 3 1/2 before she started talking and she just woke up one morning with a whole mouth full of words.
Donna
You have been tagged for an MEME from Karen at bryantfamilynews.blogspot.com. Visit my site for details.... :)
oh girl i know EXACTLY what you're talking about..the grunting screaming noises are soooo frustrating! I can't imagine if they were compounded by what you've all gone through. Give it time with Logan, he'll come through. As for you...well my bottle of wine opens very early haha, just kidding ;)
I wish I could help out with some great advice, but I had all of my kids 7 years apart from each other so I never experienced this. I am sure he will be back to himself soon though, and Chelsea will eventually be talking your ear off.
Sorry you are going through this . Hopefully it will soon pass. Like someone else said I think it may have so0mething to do with going to school.Carol&Abigail
This to shall pass. They both are just testing the waters and finding their way independently.Just the way we want it,even if we are at our last wits end watching it and listening to it!Deep breathe.
Post a Comment