Thursday, August 21, 2008

Growing Up

My dear friend Renee, who knows all too well everything we've been going through, sent this poem for Logan. I couldn't resist posting it to share with everyone. Renee, I'm in tears. I'm so emotional lately, this poem is beautiful. Yessterrday I cried all the way to the hospital. Chelsea was sleeping and I was left alone with my thoughts. I'm not sure that is a trip that will ever be easy to make.

Happy First Day Logan!!!

He started school this morning, and he seemed so very small
As I waited here beside him in the kindergarten hall.
And as he took his place beside the others in his class,
I realized how too soon those first few years can pass.

Remembering that I saw him as he first began to walk,
The words that we sounded out when he began to talk.
This little boy is much absorbed in learning how to write
It seems that he must have grown into boyhood overnight!

My eyes were blurred, but hastily I brushed the tears away,
Lest by some word or sign of mine I mar this big first day.
Oh, how I longed to stay with him and hold him by the hand,
To lead him through the places that he may not understand.

And something closely kin to fear was mingled with my pride.
I knew that he'd no longer be the baby at my side.
But he must have a chance to live, to work his problems out,
The privilege to grow and learn what life is all about.
And I must share my little boy with friends at home, at work and play.
He's not a baby anymore, Logan started school today.

And how about some pictures of my big boy riding the school bus by himself for the very first time last Friday.

1 comment:

Mommy to those Special Ks said...

I'm glad you liked it! It makes me cry every time I read it too! We're praying that Logan has a WONDERFUL year!