Wednesday, July 02, 2008

What are the chances?

1 in 800: chances my child would be born with Down syndrome
1 in 200: chances my daughter with Down syndrome would get leukemia
1 in 10: chances my daughter with Down syndrome and leukemia will relapse in the first year after treatment

I'm not a big gambler. I don't play the lottery. I think you probably know why. Not trying to be pessimistic, but Chelsea slept 13 1/2 hours last night, and it's all I can think about. Do you remember the last time she slept so long? I think it's just going to be like this. Some days I hardly think about it, other days, it's all I can think about.

14 comments:

Beth said...

I cannot imagine what you go through every day!!!! Thoughts and prayers!

Beth

Jamy Dunbar, Head Coach said...

We are sending good thoughts and lots of prayers your way everyday. My most recent prayer for you is that you are able to relax and enjoy life now that the cancer is gone. I wish for you that you are able to remain ever vigilant to the signs of relapse but that you are able to have peace whenever she does something not quite normal for her.

Maybe her body is resting from all of the trama and the latest illness. Keep an eye and trust those awesome mommy instincts of yours!!!

Michelle said...

I'm sure she's tired - it'll take time for her to catch up on rest. Karly still naps almost every day. AND Chelsea's recovering from her illness.

If you're really concerned, will your doc do bloodwork? Just for peace of mind?

Ballerina Girl said...

I hope she is still stays healthy. Thoughts and prayers.

Michelle said...

I know, honey. Well...no...I don't "know." But, I feel for you. And, I pray daily. I cannot imagine what goes through your head on a daily basis. But, look how far she has come. Look how strong she is, and look how strong YOU are. Sending loads of hugs.

Tamara said...

Not quite the same because the consequences are quite different, but my middle son had congenital glaucoma when he was an infant. I looked at his eyes every day after surgeries to see if they were getting any bigger. I about drove myself crazzzzzy.

Prayers always -

Sandi said...

We have prayed for Chelsea. And we look at your family often thru this blog.

"Cast your cares on the LORD and he will sustain you; he will never let the righteous fall." Psalm 55:22

May you find peace in knowing that whatever the next year brings, there is strength to get thru. God is looking over your blue eyed baby.

"Cast all your anxiety on him because he cares for you." 1 Peter 5:7

It is so hard to place all of our anxiety on Him, but hopefully there is an ability to place some of it with Him so you can find peace in everyday family life.

You are an amazing mom. Have a great husband. And a loving family. Keep strong!

Proud Momma of 3 said...

Try not to think about it even though it is hard. My daughter Sierra passed away from a fungal infection in her lung due to having relapsed ALL. Sierra also had Down Syndrome. I miss her so much even though I feel her so strong inside of me. Enjoy every moment, every second and don't let the ugly "C" word take any of that joy Chelsea brings you. I hate cancer and the fact that children get it. It is just not fair. Chelsea is beautiful. Have faith, be strong and keep praying that cancer away. I will do the same and believe that Chelsea is healed from cancer and will live a long & healthy life from here on.

God bless,

Mary Lynn
proud mama of Sierra Kesler
www.caringbridge.org/visit/sierrakesler

Heather said...

Take a deep breath Carey! You know I know exactly what you are feeling. I would never minimize it you know I was doing the same thing recently but try, please to relax. When things such as these creep up upon me and consume my every thought I have learned to repeat this very simple statement ..."Not Helpful" Try it, it usually works for me.That and praying like crazy. I am sure she is probably just tired. She has a lot of catching up to do.

Love Heather and Zoey
P.S. You just about gave me a freak'n heart attack when I started reading your post!

mommy to Kaden, Brody and angel Ava said...

I couldn't imagine living with that fear every day...but to me it sounds normal. Why would you be scared, right? You have every right to be. I wish I could tell you how to overcome it, but I can't, I wouldn't know where to start. I just pray that things start getting easier each day and that eventually life will be back to normal for you all, completely.

About Logan sounding everything out...especialy s...h...i...t, that is hilarious.

Thinking and praying for you all, always.

My Three Sons said...

While it's okay to worry, don't let it consume you. She is such a strong little girl and I will only think in positive thoughts. That is, she is going to continue to grow stronger every day and live a very long and happy life! Carson was really sick last week and finally on Sunday/Monday he slept for 12 hours straight. That is a record for him. If I'm not mistaken, Chelsea was sick to. It is only natural for the little ones to sleep a lot towards the end of an illness. It's just getting their body back to normal speed. If there is a pattern over the next few weeks, maybe she is low on iron or just needs extra rest? Please don't assume the worst (I know easier said than done). Just enjoy your beautiful kids and we will keep praying for you.

Mommy to those Special Ks said...

Praying she was just REALLY tired. I know the worry!

Kari said...

Only Normal for you to worry please try and not let it consume you though Hun. My heart goes out to you this must be so hard on you. Even though I don't always comment I do always pray for Chelsea and will continue.

Angel Gabi's Mommy said...

Carey you have every reason in the world to feel the way you do, but do not let it get the best of you. Chelsea is a fighter, she has proven time and time again she will beat it and she did! Jason is a survivor of over 13 years now, so it can and will be done! We continue to keep you all in our prayers especially your sweet Chels.
Sending love and prayers...