Friday, July 11, 2008

New Friends, Old Friends

Last night we were eating dinner on the patio at a small Mexican restaurant near our home. As we were finishing our meal, I noticed a family who was seated next to us. They had an adorable little boy, about Chelsea's age who looked awfully familiar. I already knew, but I asked anyways ... "did you shave his head?" You see we're members of the same club, so I knew it would be okay for me to ask. Looking like they were surprised at my comment, the shook their heads no. I replied in understanding, "oh ... chemo?" They affirmed my suspicions and when I asked what kind of cancer they told me he had leukemia, ALL. At this point I'm sure they thought I was crazy, so I immediately explained that we've been there and I pointed to Chelsea pointing out that she just finished treatment for AML. It's funny because you could see everything clicking now, they're faces showed some relief to know that I wasn't some extremely rude, crazy woman. As we left I gave them our blog and email to check in on Chelsea and crew, and the mother reciprocated. We will be adding little Hunter to our prayers as he finishes his intensification and goes into maintenance for the next couple of years.

I would also like to ask for prayers for another friend, who we met while in the hospital. Baby McKensie was diagnosed with AML 6 months after Chelsea, so I spent a lot of time with her and her mom during those long hospital stays. Parents of kids with AML tend to stick together because we're all stuck in the hospital for such long periods of time. McKensie's family just found out this week that she has relapsed. She was preparing for a bone marrow transplant later this month, but now they must give her a different protocol of chemo in hopes the leukemia will go into remission again. They cannot do the transplant until the cancer is in remission. I know this family would appreciate all your prayers. Their faith remains strong throughout these trying times and I know that McKensie is in the best hands possible!

Here's a picture on one of our last days in the hospital of Chelsea and her little buddy McKensie. It's one of my favorite pictures.

2 comments:

Jamy Dunbar, Head Coach said...

Carey,

Now you want an even stranger story about how small the world is? Remember some time ago, we were talking and I told you about a friend of ours whose nephew was just diagnosed with leukemia as well? Guess what? I just clicked on the link for Hunter and the little boy you met last night is the little boy I told you about several months ago. His aunt and uncle are good friends of ours. Tim, his uncle, flys with Jamy.

I have actually only met Hunter twice but I am just sure it is the same little man.
Strange world isn't it?

Unknown said...

How stinkin cute is that picture?