Monday, June 09, 2008

Thank You Booze Fighters!



The Poker Run was a huge success. I cannot thank all who participated and organized enough. I have been attempting to post pictures for the last two days, but for some reason blogger is not allowing it. I will keep trying, it is a great video and I would love to share it. As you may have guessed, the poker run ended at a bar. Yes, we took our children to a bar this weekend. It was actually great fun. We arrived early so we could see all the motorcycles pulling into town, so we spent about 2 hours at the bar before hand. There were a couple of bikers who had gotten lost and were awaiting the crew with us, and they spent the time enjoying Chelsea.

When the entire group arrived, they were all over her, she was a super star. Fortunately she had no stranger anxiety and was happy as ever being passed from one bandana and leather jacket wearing man to another. She was all smiles and gave her signature princess wave for the crew as they pulled into town. I loved seeing the smiles on everyones face when they met Chelsea. It was a far cry from the straight faced, bad-boy type I may have imagined. Chelsea has a way with melting even the toughest guys. Once they all arrived, the bar filled up quickly, but our little star showed no fear and veered in and out of any empty space she could find, being picked up, hugged, kissed, and high-fived from every angle. Once they all had a drink or two and finished their last hand of poker, the bar emptied out pretty quickly, so we were able to keep Chelsea with us the entire time. So she was exposed to a little second hand smoke, I know, bad mom, but it was a very short time, and it was certainly a once in a lifetime occasion.

They raised an unbelievable amount of money. Half of the money was to go to the 'winner' of the poker game in the end, but he quickly threw the money back into the pot for our family. It was spectacular, such kind strangers, all coming together for one little girl. I think she has forever captured a small piece of each of their hearts, and I can say with honesty, they will be forever remembered in mine. Our entire family will always be grateful for their generosity.


11 comments:

My Three Sons said...

That top picture needs to be blown up and hung on the wall She looks like a little biker babe. The middle picture reminds me of a picture you'd find in People Magazine where your famous and everyone wants to get your picture. And the last picture, priceless. She looks like she might want a motorcycle when she is older. Great pictures!! Hope you have a good week and remember, Carson and I will be at Childrens on Wednesday for the asthma clinic. Our appointment is at 10:00AM. What time is Chelsea's appointment?

Smurfy said...

I am so glad they were able to raise money to help with things. Most people do not realize that the biker community is not a bunch of BAD folks. And I am very proud to say I am a member of that community just a different state.

Hope Chelsea is doing great and her doctor appointment goes great.
Wishing you all the best.

Carey said...

hey! our appointment is at 12:15. I'll talk to my husband, but maybe we can come early and if you're done the kids can play on the playground?

Jacquie said...

Look at those "rebel bikers" in the last picture! Awesome.

Such kind hearted people! It's nice to know in this day and age there are still people who care about others.

Anonymous said...

I read your blog alot and I just have to say this biker here is in tears. What a wonderful day for Chelsea!! She is a beautiful girl!!

Jennifer

Anonymous said...

Bikers have the biggest hearts! Great pictures! We're having a bike run for Joey's best buddy in July and I can't wait!

Jamy Dunbar, Head Coach said...

No there is a girl who needs a motorcycle!!!! I can't wait to see the video.

I know it is nerve wracking thinking about tomorrow. We will be praying that she continues to amaze us all and everything is fine. Try to have a great day and we will talk to you soon!

Becca said...

How amazing! The photos are wonderful. Big men (and women!) with even bigger hearts. I love this. Chelsea's a little wild woman!

bloggingdown said...

It's like a day of victory and what a way to celebrate. What a great group of people!

Unknown said...

I have read Chelsea's blog for a while now and I have to tell you, this post just brought tears to my eyes. Well, this one and the video too. What a precious little girl you have. She is in my daily thoughts and prayers. I am so thankful that you were blessed in this way - what a wonderful group of people!

Leah Spring said...

A friend of mine sent me to your blog to watch the video. I'm mom to 12 year old Angela who has DS, and we're also a biker family. You won't find a better group of people than a bunch if bikers! Our biker friends would go to the ends of the world for Angela. I'm so glad they stepped in to help out Chelsea. Know that in that group, you now have friends for life! ~Leah~
www.gardenofeagan.blogspot.com