Sunday, June 15, 2008

Happy Father's Day!

Happy Father's Day to all of those special Dad's out there, especially, Ryan, the best father I could have chosen for my kiddos. Also, to my father, Ryan's dad David, and his stepdad Eric, I hope you had a wonderful day today. We were so thrilled that you could all be here to spend the day with us. We both agreed this was the best Fathers Day ever. It was almost like a re-do mother's day for me, since we spent that (along with every other holiday in the past 9 months) in the hospital. Our hearts are heavy for the many friends we have spending this father's day in the hospital. We feel so incredibly blessed to have made it through this past year. Ryan's fatherhood was put to the test this year, and he stepped up to the plate like no other. Surviving the struggles our family has faced made this Father's Day so much sweeter.

We were expecting storms early this afternoon, so we called everyone and asked them to come over a little early so the kids could play outside before the storms hit. The kids did get some outside time, then the storms came. We ate our lunch out on the covered porch watching the rain (and hail) come and go. By the time we were ready for ice cream and cake the sun was shining and it had turned into one of the most beautiful days of the summer. There were 22 people at our house today, and our house isn't very big! We couldn't have been happier though. Almost everyone we loved was there, and especially meaningful was the fact that Chelsea was here. She was here and she is healthy. Really, does life get any better than that?

Are you wondering how we entertained 11 kids ages 1-14 all day? Well ... our kids have a very special grandma ... well all their grandma's are very special, but today, Grandma Karen came to the rescue! She bought a blow up 10 foot tall water slide this summer and offered to bring it today for the kids to play on. We had the perfect spot in our backyard (we may have a small house, but we do live on an acre, so plenty of yard space!) There just aren't words to describe the fun the kids had, so I'll have to show you with pictures. Some of the kids didn't bring swim suits for fear we wouldn't be able to swim b/c of the rain, so we had to improvise. Pieced together swim clothes and all, the day was a success! We had very few time outs, Grandma Karen did a great job supervising and life guarding. She wasn't going to let those kids get too crazy. In fact the only blood we saw all day wasn't from a water slide accident, it was from my 3 year old nephew. Logan said that Aaron punched him in the face, but later tonight explained that it was a head butt that caused his bloody nose and fat lip. He'll survive, Logan is tough. Ryan and I were talking tonight about how we would love to do it again (not the bloody nose, ... the party) for the 4th of July (with everyone ... mom, Hannah and Laura!), so keep your calendars open cousins and grandparents!

As the families were packing up leaving I had to throw Chelsea in the tub b/c she messed in her swim suit. By the time I had her cleaned up she was screaming from exhaustion, so I put her in bed. I knew it was a little late for a nap at 3:30, but there was no way she would stay awake any longer. We tried to wake her up around 4:30 for a little dinner and so that she would sleep through the night, but she wasn't having it. She was zonked. Ryan held her, played with her, and Logan even tried to arouse her, but she was completely out. All of the lights on, the TV on, Logan playing the piano and she wouldn't even open her eyes. We were able to force a spoonful of her awful medicine in her mouth before we laid her back in bed. I just heard a little cry from her, I sure hope she sleeps through the night.

Can you tell my daughter's a little bit double jointed?!!! She just laughed when she got to the bottom!


Here's the "before the storm" crew.


And here's the big dawg water slide!!! It left a big spot in the yard, but nothing that won't go away in a day or two! Definitely worth it!



The girls changed swimming suits after lunch since their first suits were still wet in case you're wondering why Chelsea's wearing red in some and pink in other pictures. P.S. the pink suit is a Grandma Karen special, it's supposed to be a suit with a built in diaper, hmmm, ;)

There are a couple of other very special Dad's I don't want to forget to mention. For my stepdad, Doug, we miss you very much and wish you were here. There weren't nearly enough Fathers Days in your lifetime, and I hope you know your girls are in good hands!

And another INCREDIBLE dad that deserves recognition this year is Ryan's brother, Davy. It was just over a year ago he moved to Kansas with two of his five children. While we were fighting cancer, he was fighting his ex, and as of last week, his divorce is final ... and he has full custody of all FIVE children. Five kids sounds daunting doesn't it? Well, he is doing an excellent job, I don't know many men that can raise 5 young children on their own. The kids all looked wonderful today, we have hardly seen them over the past year. They are healthy and happy and adjusting to their new life in Kansas beautifully. I am so proud of their Dad! (I do wish he would shave and get cleaned up more often ... but I guess he probably doesn't have time for that!)

No comments: