Chelsea made me a little nervous today, she slept until 11am! That's a record for sure. I think she's probably trying to catch up after being so sick. Today she's completely refusing all her meds which is making the nurses job a little more difficult. I hate holding her down to get them in her. She just screams like we're abusing her. She ate a little bit, but not back to normal yet. Are you ready for some news? Her nurse practicioner thinks she may be ready to go home tomorrow! I know, it shocked me too. She's got to prove that she's feeling better, and her counts have to show a rise in the morning. Today her ANC was still only 20, but she has a lot more neutrophils and her platelets rose on their own, so those are both good signs that her bone marrow is recovering. This might also be why she's extra tired, and could explain her restlessness and moaning overnight.
She's already had speech this morning and is getting PT right now. These are likely our last sessions with our hospital therapists, so it's really sad to say goodbye. I absolutely love her speech therapist, she studied in NY and worked there for a while with some very well known therapists, and she also has a lot of experience with Down syndrome. We'll really miss her. When we said our goodbyes, she told me some of the things she thinks Chelsea needs to work on next so I can keep practicing and pass them on to her therapists at home. She also told me something I've been questioning for some time. She said she thought we should take an apraxia approach with Chelsea. She didn't come right out and say it, probably b/c she's too young to actually diagnose, but in not so many words, she thinks Chelsea has apraxia. We agreed it's not severe by any means, and the great thing about Chelsea is she doesn't have the low tone issues that often go along with apraxia. This doesn't mean she won't talk, the therapist assured me she will and she will speak well, it will just take longer to get there and we need to be sure we plan her therapy accordingly. Not exactly what I wanted to hear, but like I said, I've had a feeling she might have apraxia for some time. Here is another apraxia link if you're interested.
Hello world!
3 years ago
4 comments:
I hope you guys get to go home tomorrow. That would be terrific!!! I am sure it will be a bitter-sweet moment...probably way more sweet. It is pretty hard to say good-bye to people you have grown so close to...I know, but what better place to be then home? Well, good luck tomorrow.
I hope you guys get to go home tomorrow. That would be terrific!!! I am sure it will be a bitter-sweet moment...probably way more sweet. It is pretty hard to say good-bye to people you have grown so close to...I know, but what better place to be then home? Well, good luck tomorrow.
When Zoey was in the NICU they always referred to home as Disneyland. You know," The happiest place on earth". The thought behind it was to not mention the word home as to not jinx it and or get everybodies hopes up. I thought it was cute. So, my point. I sure home you all are off to" Disneyland "tomorrow and if not tomorrow then very soon after that. And if you ever find your way out to California, we would LOVE to treat you ALL to the real , deal Disneyland. I am 100% serious about that too!!!
Check on you soon, Zoey and Crew
Got caught up in all that home talk, Correcting a typo, with: I sure HOPE you all are off to ........
Post a Comment