Remember this?
Yeah, that nasty rash we finally figured out Chelsea gets with the chemo drug Ara-C. Well one of the residents decided a few days ago that although we've managed to prevent the rash with IV benedryl for the past 5 rounds, the IV was unnecessary and the orders were switched to oral benedryl. Less potent, yes, according to one resident. Well poor kid has red marks down her cheeks that appear to come from her tears. Yes, her tears. Chemo effects your bodily fluids, which is why we are supposed to wear gloves everytime we change her diaper, and often kids can get burns on their bottoms from their own urine. So it makes sense that this is what is happening. It appeared more red this afternoon after she cried when she awoke from her nap.
We're frustrated to say the least that they have changed her orders on something that was working well for so long. Why all of a sudden is the oral benedryl safer or better for her? Have we been harming her by giving her IV benedryl for the past 8 months? Is there something else going on with Chelsea that they're not telling us? Does it have to do with the PICC line vs. her Hickman? These are all questions we'll address tomorrow with the doctors. For now, our hands are tied. The resident said no, and asked the attending on call, who backed her and said no also. We have to wake her up to administer her benedryl. The other option is to skip it and let her rash flourish, which is unfair to her. So as far as waking her up in the middle of the night to give her oral meds, um, yeah, I'm not so happy. You already know her sleeping habits are a mess. I asked the resident what will we do if she won't go back to sleep, let her (the resident) and the nursing staff get her back to sleep? I don't think she likes me very much anymore.
Here's what Chelsea looked like this evening after dinner. Yep that's a little bit of milk shake around her lips and the flaky stuff on her cheeks is the steroid cream they've been (inconsistently) putting on to try and help the redness. It's not working so well. Like I said, I'm confident giving her consistent IV benedryl as we have in the past would take care of the problem. You can see the redness all around her eyes and the red streaks running down her cheeks in the exact spot her tears fall when she cries (which isn't very often). I know the picture is kind of sad, but that's what she looks like right now, and yes, it makes me very sad. We all know she's got an extremely high pain tolerence so while something like this might bother us as it burnt our skin, she doesn't seem to bee too bothered. Don't be fooled, she hasn't slowed down much, in fact a friend of mine visited today and said, "gosh, I can't wait to see Chelsea when she's not so 'run down' from the chemo," as she trotted down the hall pulling the blood pressure machine with me following behind with her IV pole. Haha, run down, yeah right!
Ryan and I went round and round all night with the nurse and the resident with no success. We'll be speaking with our attending tomorrow and a patient advocate. You know me, I'm not afraid to voice my concerns, and believe you me, I'm concerned. Ryan was really getting upset. I almost had to pull him in as he kept going round and round even though it was obvious we weren't getting anywhere!
Well more tomorrow, the nurse is hanging her LAST BAG OF CHEMO right now!!!!! I better get my camera!!! I'm so excited, I'm tickled!!!
Hello world!
3 years ago
15 comments:
California is thrilled beyond words for Miss Chelsea's last bag of chemo!We are so proud of this strong, resilient, amazing little girl.The rash does look heartbreaking but it is good to know it is not bothering her. That child does not deserve one more moment of discomfort .... for the rest of her life!
Man Carey..that is just upsetting. I don't understand why if the IV benedryl was working why suddenly on the last round it needs to be changed. I am so happy this is her last bag of chemo and pray for forever remission for your little angel. God Bless.
UGH what is WRONG with these docs?! Residents never cease to baffle me. Some are fabulous and others? They could care less about the patients. GRRR I can come make signs for you if you'd like! Good luck with the patient advocate. I'm on a first name basis with ours! haha Give Chels a hug from us.
LAST bag of chemo is SO exciting!!
Too bad the moment was ruined by the resident. That makes NO sense, to change her orders NOW, when the IV benadryl was obviously working. Definitely not in Chelsea's best interest!! Good luck getting that cleared up today.
Last bag of chemo!! Carey, I think I can speak for all of your blog readers when I type, I AM SO PROUD OF YOU!!! Just to read those 4 words brought tears to my eyes, "...LAST BAG OF CHEMO." Thank you for inviting us all to tag along with you on your journey. I think you've opened more eyes than you realize to so many different things. You're great!
OMG! How does that child sleep with that rash? No wonder she has had sleeping issues.
WooHoo for the last bag of chemo!! You have stayed so strong for both of your babies. What an awesome day for you!
What a strong bunch of emotions must hit you when you realize it is the "last bag of chemo"! No wonder you are feeling more emotionally this time.
You all have amazed all of us through this journey. I realize that this last bag does not mean the journey is over, but I will be saying prayers from here on out that you know how many lives have been touched by Little Miss. Her life is going to hold so many wonderful things. What a lucky mommy you are to be a part of that!
Can't wait to get her to the park again! I just called today and the train is up and running!!!
I can tell you as a nurse that I would not stand for that in one of my patients especially if we know that the iv benadryl is working. I would ask to speak to the charge nurse and then ask to speak to the chief resident and then I would ask that the attending come in or call me and tell me why that after all this time that they are discontinuing the benadryl IV and making my child suffer. If that does not help I would take it up the chain of command. The nurse knows who that is. Absolutely uncalled for. And the fact that they are not listening just makes me madder. And I would not wait until tomorrow. I would make them answer your concerns tonight. so that child does not need to suffer all night long. pain tolerance or not. Waking her up to adminster something they can give in the IV. If they have a good reason ok but if they can't explain after all this time.
I am sorry to get fired up but the nurse in me is just hopping mad. Make the biggest stink you can and someone will fix it.
Ginger
i hope that my above comment was not taken wrong. I am so sorry for you and that you are not finding a way to help little Chelsea because the docs won't budge. So if it sounded rude that was not my intention at all. I was just hoping that something I said might help get someone doing something. A little inside knowledge never hurt anyone ! hahah I am so glad that this is the final round for your sweet baby girl. She is so beautiful. Hate to see that nasty rash and how the chemo ravages her little body. We continue to pray for you, chelsea and your family
Keep fighting for what you think is right. Those pictures make me hurt. I hope she isn't experiencing more then she should because of the doctor's lack of listening.
You tell them!! If we can't advocate for our kids then who will. I am so excited that this is Chelsea's last bag. Way to go Chelsea!!
That is just horrible in my opinion! There is something that they know works and they won't "allow" you to use it!! Ridiculous in my opinion - you give them ____ - as Isabella said, if we can't advocate for our own kids then who will? GOOD LUCK!!!
How exciting that she's on her last bag!!! She is such an amazing little girl!!!!
We are thinking and praying that things continue to go well and you get some resolution to this rash!
Cary, Darn Darn Darn those doctors! I knew I should have sent that yard stick a while back. It just breaks my heart that your voice is not heard and Chelsea may be put through unneccesary pain. Oh the picture with her tear is just heart wrenching. I hope your advocate truly is just that.
Last bag of chemo is music to my ears. Please know we are sending angels your way to look after you all. Hugs & Kisses - Terry
I can't imaging how horrible she feels. Just seeing that makes me want to scratch!
Hooray for the last bag of Chemo!
Boo for the resident taking her off IV benedryl...
Post a Comment