Friday, May 16, 2008

Pass It On

So it's pretty obvious we've got some great friends, and a great community right? Well, I just can't thank my friends enough. Going through this entire journey has made me realize how generous the world is.

I really hope this doesn't sound like I'm tooting my own horn or anything, but I just feel so strongly that we are being looked after by so many people. I tend to reflect out loud, so bear with me, but it is a way for me to share my gratitude with you.

Ryan and I have always routed for the underdog. Especially when it comes to children. I've been known to use grocery money to buy less fortunate kids at my school a winter coat, long pants or even shoes from a second hand store. I've spent many hours calling and visiting my kids at home when I was a teacher, and Ryan understood and accepted the extra hours and the late nights. And as recently as this summer, I drove to Minnesota 3 times to help get my brother in laws kids home to him using money that Ryan had earned for our family. Someone commented that it was wonderful to see me 'passing it on' recently when we gathered clothes and necessity's for the newly diagnosed family who did not speak English. But until reading that comment, I hadn't thought about it at all, it was just the right thing to do, and I couldn't imagine not helping her.

When people around us need help, they always know they can call Ryan and he'll help a friend, a neighbor or a family member in a heartbeat, even if it means climbing atop the chimney on the roof of a house, or helping clean up after your house flooded. And until very recently, he was always the one with the truck, but he never complained about driving across town to help pick up, haul things, or help friends move.

Again, I'm not attempting to sound noble in anyway, I'm hoping that you will see that while we are just a small hardworking family, living paycheck to paycheck, we CAN still help others. While the things we've done in our lifetime are minuscule in comparison to what has been done for us over the past year, they have made a difference to somebody. So if you've been reading our blog for any period of time, and have seen the miracles that take place around here everyday, I hope that you too will feel motivated to make a difference. Remember it's the small things that mean the most. So maybe this week, as a birthday present to me ;), you will do something selfless, like pulling your neighbors trashcan to the curb for them, writing a thank you note to a teacher, nurse, or janitor who is likely under-appreciated for all of their hard work, or maybe you could spend time with a person who lives alone and could use some company. Whatever you do, I'm sure it will be appreciated, and you never know, there may be a time in your life when you yourself will need help too!

So I'll admit, that post turned into way more than I had planned, but my original intention was to highlight an awesome friend of mine who is doing something selfless, for us. My friend Amy, mommy to Mayson (Chelsea's best friend in Iowa), is very talented and she is able to make jewelry. She has made many beautiful bracelets, but the ones that have become her staple are the blue and yellow bracelets which raise awareness for Down syndrome. Can you see where I'm going with this? I'm going to let Amy tell you the rest about her fundraiser, so hop on over to the Flege Farm to read more, and maybe, just maybe you can win yourself something very very special!

1 comment:

Mary said...

I think this is a wonderful post and it is so true! It doesn't take a lot to pass it on.