Saturday, April 19, 2008

My Little Monkey

I hope I don't get in trouble for calling her that. I did hear someone got in trouble for calling their kids monkeys, and I'm not sure why, I don't get to watch the news much, so I probably didn't get the whole story. But it is official, my kid is a monkey. We both had the sneaking suspicion this could happen one day, just not this soon.

Last night I was trying to sneak in a shower and Ryan wasn't home yet, so I put Chelsea in her crib with some toys. Logan was in her room playing and I told him to come get me if he needed me. Sure enough, mid shower, he comes running in the bathroom, "Chelsea fell out of her crib!" So out I go, soaking wet, soap everywhere, and no I didn't even grab a towel. My little miss flexible managed to kick her leg up over the side and get out of her crib. When I got in there (no more than 60 seconds after the incident) she was standing up getting a toy out of her toy box! There was a tear in her eye, but she wasn't even crying! I can't imagine falling that far onto hardwood floors wouldn't hurt, just goes to show how tough she is.

We did have a long night last night, she woke up crying quite a bit, and I laid awake most of the night worrying about her. This morning she's fussy, but there's really no visible signs anything could be wrong. I called the doctors office and the nurse said if she had internal bleeding or if she hurt something she would be in a lot of pain. I guess she didn't understand the part about high pain tolerance ... my kid just fell out of a crib onto hardwood floors, and didn't cry. Hmmmm. I guess we'll just watch her and see how the day plays out.

9 comments:

Mommy to those Special Ks said...

Ahhh I hope she's ok!!! Time for a toddler bed?! Kameron got out of his crib once and that was IT! LoL

BTW, I call my kids monkeys too!

Kei said...

My kids are monkeys, and obsessed with them too.

Having had 6 kids, I've had more than my share of falling out of crib & bed stories.

We had gotten William a Little Tikes toddler bed (Noah's ark), low to the floor, when he outgrew his crib. His sister later taught him to climb up onto the roof of his bed (I'll have to find a pic of the bed sometime) and jump off!

I'm sure Miss Chelsea will be fine~ there would have been signs otherwise by now, don't you think?

Hugs

Amanda said...

LOL I swear the things people get in trouble for. Pretty soon, we'll be forced to not give our kids names because that "alienates" them or something. I call my kids monkeys, too. I also call Sarah my little "imp" cause she's a tiny ball of trouble. :D

I'm glad that Chelsea is ok after her fall. I would agree that it's time for a toddler bed. We were kinda forced to after Katie was born, but Sarah got switched out of the crib when she was about Chelsea's age. She did really well with the transition. But I find it funny that Chelsea decided that they toys you'd given her weren't good enough and she had to go find some more suited to her liking. :D

Kari said...

Yes I think almost all 3 of my kids have fallen out of the crib at least once. My oldest started jumping out of the crib onto the bed near by at 12 months. T fell out of his around his 2nd Birthday and I bought him a toddler bed. I had to gate his room as he will not stay in bed or even in the room. He climbs the gate. So he now sleeps with me. I wish you luck, sounds like your going to be adventuring in big girl bed territory. Hope it goes well and I hope your sweet girl didn't hurt anything!

Becca said...

Wow! That's scary and exciting all at the same time! I hope she's okay--I think kids do this kind of thing all the time, though. I'm pretty sure that our day is right around the corner... I still think about how amazing it would be for Sammi to put her pants on by herself like Chelsea did recently. Has Chelsea repeated that wonderful feat again yet?

Sustenance Scout said...

Carey, so glad I found your blog via a few I've visited today! The link just kept popping up, which I took as a definitie sign I needed to visit.

I write a lot about diversity issues and understand why some folks still consider calling anyone a monkey potentially demeaning since it was a negative term used to insult people of African descent for a long time. My kiddos have a mixed-race heritage and I still called my son a monkey because he literally climbed ME all the time. Talk about exhausting! I was corrected once and was careful not to use the term as much, but my son always got a kick out of it. Sorry for the long-winded answer!

As for Chelsea's new talent: If you're not yet ready to put her in a toddler bed, you can sew a piece of fabric between the legs of her pjs so she can't lift one leg high enough to swing herself up and over the rail. I'd also lower the crib mattress just in case she manages to get over anyway. That tips is from my mother-in-law, who used it long ago and still swears it works!

Hope Chelsea's ok and you all get lots of sleep tonight. Karen from Denver

Christina said...

I believe anyone can take any thing out of context and make it into something bad. ey yi yi...that's all I will say about that.

As for your monkey girl...wow! I hope she is doing better today and that you didn't have to take her to the hospital or anything!

Shannon @ Gabi's World said...

I hope there is nothing really wrong. I always worry about when Preston will start doing that.

Beth said...

My girls are monkeys too!! Seriously - I think there are more monkey genes in them with how they climb!!!

I hope everything is ok with Chelsea!!

Beth