Thursday, April 10, 2008

Kindergarten Round Up!

I'd say Kindergarten roundup was a success. We got there on time (believe it or not). Oh, I guess I should mention, we timed the trip and it took a full 60 seconds to drive to his school! How awesome is that, as I'm sure we'll miss the bus more than once during his elementary career! We went straight to the K room and the kids had activities at their assigned tables and we were supposed to go to the gym to do paperwork and meet the principal. Well, Logan wouldn't even sit down at the table. The tears started to flow and he dug his head into my leg and cried, "I don't want to go to Kindergarten!" Hello?!!! Can you say mommy tears?! If it's this bad at round up, just imagine the first day of school!

The teacher came and told him she didn't know anyone either, so she was a little scared too. Then I asked a couple of the kids at his table how old they were and what their names were, and that helped him feel a little more comfortable. Especially when the boy next to him said he was four and then I asked when his birthday was and the boy replied without a worry, "I dunno." Logan looked up at me and said, "I know my birthday, April 23rd." It was so cute, I think that made him feel a little more comfortable. Before I knew it he was writing his name on his paper and looking around checking out his surroundings and didn't even notice us leave. Of course when we were down the hall we heard a kid screaming, so we turned around to check on him. The people up front said, don't worry, they'll take care of him, but I knew I couldn't handle leaving him if he was upset. Typically, I'm all about tough love, but since I've been gone and Chelsea has been sick, I didn't want to leave him upset. He's been through enough lately and he needs to know I'm there for him. We went back to check and to our surprise it wasn't him! We made eye contact with the teacher though and she came out to talk with us. I briefly told her he's been through a lot lately, his sister has cancer, so please come get us if he gets upset. She assured us she would and we headed to the gym.

After paperwork, we all took a bus ride around the block (yep, we drove right past our house which is 60 seconds away, that was thrilling for him!)


On our bus ride around the block. Does he look excited or what?!!!



After the bus ride we went back to the room for cookies and punch and a small gift bag. His teacher introduced herself to everyone and gave us a little of her background. This will be her 3rd year teaching, but her first year at this school. While she was listing her credentials, I thought she was talking about me. She graduated with a BS in elementary ed at the same university as me (Go Wildcats!) then she got her minor in Spanish (ditto) AND she has her ESL endorsement (hello? check!) How strange is that. Poor kid, he'll be going to school, but it won't feel like he's getting away from me very much!



"MOM!!!" (I really do feel sorry for my kids, I chase them around with the camera all the time!)

2 comments:

Amy Flege said...

wow.. kindergarten round up. he is growing up!! that on picture of him on the bus looks like his mommy!! his smile is beautiful!

amanda said...

Aww-he's a cutie!