Wednesday, April 23, 2008

I KNEW IT ...

I was completely freaked out when they called last night shortly after 11. I knew it had to be bad if they were calling that late. Sure enough, a gram positive infection, in both lines that grew very quickly. Remember we weren't supposed to hear anything until at least tomorrow. I just knew her counts were too extreme to be real. Before they called Chelsea was flirting with a fever, she had gotten up to 100.3 and I had moved her into our room. Ryan and I packed up the car quickly and I got on the road with her awake. She stayed awake until halfway there. I felt better with her awake because then I knew she was okay. Once she fell asleep, I kept reaching back to feel her tummy moving and to feel the warmth of her legs. It may have been exhaustion setting in, but a fear set inside of me that something was going to happen before we even got to the hospital.

So here we sit on 4 Henson once again. Not where we wanted to be on Logan's birthday. We arrived around 1:30 am and they had to get all of her info, height, weight, blood pressure (6 times) and temperature. By the time that was done she was awake and ready to play. I couldn't get her to sleep for the life of me. She did eventually crash and I got a a good 4 hours of sleep. They gave her a bolus of fluids in case she was dehydrated, and then started her on on antibiotics right away. Because she's acting so well, they've moved her to Vancomycin only, every 6 hours. The resident that checked on her when we arrived told me this morning she was thinking her cultures surely had to be a mistake because she's so incredibly well. I told her, no, that's just Chelsea for you. She has a hunger for life that's hard for any of us to understand. She doesn't feel pain like we do. She loves to explore, play, be social, even when she feels crummy. Someone must have told her when she was born, "live every day of your life to the fullest," because that's exactly what she does, ... every single day!

We really don't know what the plan is right now. They'll talk during rounds and make some decisions. Last round our doctor said if she grew any infections or had any more problems with her line, they would pull it and put in a pic. Not my first choice. But what do I know? Ryan and I are hoping they can just clear up the infection with antibiotics and her HIckman can get her through her last round of chemo. A pic line is a line would be put in her arm, it's more temporary than a Hickman, but more secure than a standard IV. For your typical (older) kiddo, it could easily get you through one round of chemo. For Chelsea though, the thought of chasing her down the hall while she pulls an IV pole with chemotherapy by her arm ... well, scares me at the least. So let's hope they don't go that route. I would hate to have to say this again:

I TOLD YOU SO!!!

(okay, that was just for fun since you all know I would never say that to our ARNP or our doctor ... and they don't read my blog. But it does make me feel a little better!)

3 comments:

Beth said...

Oh poor Chelsea - and poor you guys too!!! That kid is just amazing and an inspiration to us all!!! We are certainly keeping you all close in thought and prayer!!!

Hugs,
Beth

momtojesse said...

Poor Chelsea. You guys are all in our continued prayers. Hugs.

The Bryant Family said...

OMG. The comment about living every day to the fullest just made me tear up. What an inspiration she is, even when she isnt feeling well she wants to make everyone feel she is OK, nothing wrong, just another day. I think of you all often and check every day. Hang in there...prayers to you