My angel had a follow up appointment at the ENT this afternoon. Once again, it turned out to be quite the traumatic clinic visit.
She DOES NOT like these appointments, it takes three people to hold her still so the doctor can work on her tiny little ear.
Everything the doctor sees is magnified on a TV screen. I had to take pictures, because it's fascinating to see. They are able to magnify her ear so close I could see the tube.
Here they are working on cleaning the gunk and dead skin out. There was once again a lot to clean out, but not quite as bad as it was Monday. So we'll take any improvement we can get. Chelsea ... not HAPPY!
Once again we saw a different doctor. It seems that each doctor only works once a week, so it's next to impossible to get the same doctor twice. She did clean her ear very thoroughly, it took more than 10 minutes. That's a long time when Chelsea is screaming, arching and crying. Once this doctor got that last stubborn piece of gunk out, she got a better view of the tube in Chelsea's ear. I guess the other doctors never got this clear of a view, b/c we were surprised to hear that the tube wasn't even in anymore, it was trying to come out on it's own! It's normal for ear tubes to fall out in 6 months to 3 years. She's had hers a little over a year. The doctor recommended us letting her just remove the tube and she assured us it would be easy to do. She said it might cause a little pain at first, but she was confident it would make all of this infection / mold clear up quicker. Of course I wanted the okay from our oncologist first. It seems I can't blow my nose anymore without the approval of the oncologist! Dr. Guest agreed it would be the best thing to do since we were already in the office. Surprisingly the tube was a cinch to get out! Way less traumatic than cleaning the ear. Of course there was more goo and gunk to clean out once the tube was out.
Here's the tiny little tube that was in her right ear! (Ignore all the gunk! Ewwww!)
Now here's the kicker. While we were there they looked up her files on the computer to see what her counts were today (her ANC was 238 by the way, platlets and hemoglobin are recovering well and white blood count was 1.4). They found more than her lab results in the computer though. Apparently the culture they took of Chelsea's ear on Monday before we left, has grown mold! This just happened today, nothing had grown yesterday that's why we hadn't heard from the oncologists. This isn't what we were hoping for, but it is what it is, so we need to figure out what to do next. Her counts ARE recovering, but slowly. My main concern is starting the next round of chemo and having this ear problem come back and haunt us. While she's not showing signs that the mold has spread, i would feel more comfortable with more difinitive tests. I made that clear with our oncologists. No, I'm not a doctor, but it seems to me it would be very hard for the mold not to have spread since her counts were ... well NOTHING ... for so long. I don't know how it could have stayed contained in the ear. Again, I'm not a doctor though, I just want the ENT people to have a good understanding of the oncology aspect of the situation. The ENT doctors keep telling me they see this all the time, and it can be cleared up with ear drops ... well that's probably true, but how often do they see it in kiddos with an ANC of ZERO? Yeah, can you see why I'm worried? Our oncologist is going to meet with the team and the infectious disease doctors tomorrow and call me to let me know what our "plan" will be. I hope to have an update for you tomorrow night!
Finally, here's some of what I've been seeing in my princess lately. I hate seeing her this way, but I know this will all be behind us soon. I just have to keep telling myself, we can do this!
Hello world!
3 years ago
16 comments:
aww those pictures of her screaming make me sad..:( poor baby! At least she got them clean out! Hoping this mold thing takes a hike too!!!!!
i love that first picture....gorgeous!
sending lots of love and strength from one of your cheering teams ( in switzerland )... tekeal
Chelsea,
I know just how yucky that ear cleaning stuff is. I scream about it too when they hold me down like that. Hope you feel much better very soon!
Love, Braska
Poor Chelsea (and poor mom having to see her so miserable). I hope you are feeling better and they can figure out what is going on with your ear.
Hang in there Carey....keep doing what you are doing and that is advocating for Chels. Making sure they do EVERYTHING to ensure all precausions are taken.
These kiddos are strong arent they...it is amazing when they are upset how strong they are.
Hugs--Karen
Poor Chelsea!! Sending you guys more thoughts and prayers!!
Beth
Ok, I'm finally caught up on your blog. I left a post a few minutes ago but it was on an entry a few days back. Just wanted to tell you I'm thinking of you all and sending big kisses to Chelsea. I loved the pictures of Logan at school. He is going to love school.
Oh the poor dear. Chelsea really is a trooper! So is her family!
Hi Branam Family,
Talk about Daryn's hair look at Chels! Is it me or is she a red head now? One more round. YA! Hope all is well with the family. Forever in my prayers.
Florine
Continued prayers, Carey - That's a very familiar experience -- I've had to help hold Shawen down to get all the ear wax out quite a few times. Not fun. One time the ped was just washing them out while Shawen was sitting on the table, and he got a bad kick! :-)
Prayers that they come up with a good plan to fight that mold -
Tamara
Ugh, they did this every day we were in the hospital, and then we go up on Monday to have it done again. Blah!!!
Rhett had some type of fungus growing in his. He is on ear drops now as well as an oral antibiotic, and it seems to be clearing up.
We don't have the low or no ANC though, so as much as I am freaking out about a fungus growing in his ear, I can imagine how you are feeling.
I guess Rhett just didn't want his girlfriend to go through the ear problems alone!!
This morning when he woke up, I pulled out a big bloody mucousy glob out of his ear with white gunk all over it too. (Sorry TMI)
But man, it's so yucky, and you feel so bad seeing all that stuff coming out of such a tiny ear!!
I will have to take a picture of Rhett's tube and show it to you. It was even tinier than Chelsea's!! I am amazed we even saw it when it came out.
Anyways, just wanted to let you know I feel your pain.
Oh, and we don't do anything without the cardiologists approval, just like you and the oncologist!! I laughed when I read that.
Anyways, love you guys, and thanks again for the blankie that you sent a while back. Rhett slept with it the whole time we were in the hospital.
I had to sneak it away from him when we got home so I could wash all of the cooties off!!
Loves to you guys......
Pam and Rhett
You know, I think if the docs were doing that to me I would scream too! Poor baby! I hope she is feeling better and that you guys are enjoying being home.
There is some good weather forecasted for next week.....maybe a playdate if counts are up?
I'll call you guys soon!
Love to you all!
Your daughter is an angel! What a trooper.
Sorry to hear about the traumatic visit to the clinic. :( Love the pix and descriptions though! Hope she is feeling much better today. :)
Chelsea is beautiful. I have her in my thoughts and prayers.
The first picture of her, her head looks like it's covered with angel feathers-so pretty! Poor baby-She will be in my prayers along with her mommy and family;)
Post a Comment