Now you see it,
now you don't!
It's been an interesting couple of days. Honestly I've hit a brick wall, emotionally. The frustration in not knowing what's going on with her line and what our plan will be makes the days extremely difficult. I think a large part of it is I just don't understand how all of the medical works. How the cultures grow, how they ID the organisms, and what does it all really mean? It's so complicated.
This morning I asked if they had anything planned for Chelsea b/c I was leaving to go on Logan's field trip (thank you Sharon for watching Chelsea for me!!!) They gave me the go ahead and said they weren't doing anything today, so I left. I called to check in and finally reached the nurse around 1pm and she had the resident call me right back because ... they decided they wanted to pull her line ... today! I got this bit of information while riding on a school bus with a load of 4 and 5 year olds. They asked if I could be there by 3pm ... ummmm ... no. So we compromised on 5 and I headed back to KC right after the field trip (more on the trip later.) I was looking forward to a night at home with Logan, but I needed to be here. Ryan drove up right after work and made it just in time. They put in an IV (the radiology nurse did an excellent job, got it on the first try), then they sedated her and virtually pulled out the Hickman. They saved the part of the catheter that was inside her body to send off for cultures. This is a particularly stubborn organism growing (there were actually THREE different things growing in Wednesday's culture).
The plan now is to continue administering her antibiotic through the IV she has in her arm. With all the meds though, the IV may not last long. They will likely do cultures again tomorrow (which will require another stick b/c they don't want to risk losing this great access they've gotten in her arm). If those cultures are negative for 48 hours then we can talk about what kind of a line to put in her ... but they're strongly recommending a pic line. We'll be here at least 3-4 days, and honestly I think they'll keep us here through the next round, so this could turn into a 40 day + hospital stay ... sigh.
If any of my blog readers have experience w/ a pic, will you please share? Ryan and I are very uneasy about it. The idea of a line coming from her arm while we do 7 days straight of chemo (on a very short cord) scares us to death. She is so extremely active, I would say much more active then typical 2 year olds. She also doesn't have the comprehension that some of the 2 year olds around here have. When we stay stop Chelsea, or stay there, to keep her from pulling her line out, she doesn't stop. She just keeps going. She's just not quite old enough to reason with yet where some of the 2 year olds up here are and have more awareness of the tubes and poles etc. If anyone could share their experiences that would be great, if you would prefer to email my email addy is on the side bar! Thanks, and more updates to come this weekend. It's been a busy two days, so I have lots to share.
Some pre-sedation pix:
showing my new IV.... Ashley did a great job! She said she'd be happy to come up and do it for her again if she needs another one Monday!
Slightly sedated, it's almost time to take out those tubies!
Mommy trying to sing to me ... little does she know, I'm already knocked out!
She's still knocked out, an hour and a half later. They only gave her versed and fentenol, but we think she's just extra tired b/c she hasn't been sleeping well. We turned out the lights and are just going to let her sleep (maybe through the night). Poor kid is pooped! Ryan and are headed to get a bite to eat, so they're putting monitors on her just so they can be sure she's fine while we're gone. Nobody is worried, we just think she's super tired.
Hello world!
3 years ago
13 comments:
We have had a pic line before with Rhett, however it was when he was very very sick, and not moving around alot.
Anyways, I will email you. You gotta tell that sweet pea to quit getting infections. Rhett seems to think he needs to sympathyzie with her, and he gets sick as soon as she does.
What ever happened with her ear? We are STILL battling Rhett's. 6 weeks of 2 different antibiotics, and drops, now another stronger antibiotic.
Anways, just wanted to let you know I was thinking of you.
((HUGS))
Kennedy's had a PICC line too, but she wasn't moving around all that much then... They'll secure it WELL though... I would just make sure that when you put her on the floor, be ready to run right behind her!! Sorry the Hickman had to come out!
I haven't had a lot of experience, but dh is a medic and has done time in the hospital. he's saying that likely they take the tube off and it's only the port that is there 24/7. They'll do the treatment and disconnect the tubing. It will be shorter, but it won't be all the time. I can't guarantee this, but it is how they do it here...
praying mightily!
Now, is the Pic line the IV? Karly had an IV line in her arm for a few days, and then it got a clot. It was after her Hickman fell out (!!! which I didn't even know could happen!) and it would've had to be changed out weekly - but she had another Hickman put in, eventually.
I hope they can things sorted out for Chelsea & get her infections cleared up. She seems like such a tough kid!
Poor baby she needs to stop getting infections. She'll fight it off though we all now that. Wereis Logan when you are at the hospital during chemo? Does he cry for Chelsea? I just want to give him a big hug for staying strong! You too!!!
xoxoxo
Julia
Darn, I was hoping it wouldn't have to come out. From what some of the others are saying is sort of sounds lucky it lasted as long as it did, huh?
I have a couple of beginning microbiology textbooks that you can borrow if you want. They talk alot about cultures and ID of organisms. I also have a friend who is a microbiologist. Matter of fact, she works at the labs there in KC. It is a good chance Chelsea's cultures are processed in her lab. If you want I can put you in contact with her and she can really explain things too you. Maybe even show you.
Just let me know.
I hope you guys are doing well today. I will try to call this weekend.
Hugs to everyone!
Chelsea is beautiful! (I love the 4/21 pics!) I love the pic of Logan from yesterday, too!
I have been praying for Chelsea and your family, and read a couple of scripture passages this morning that made me think of you.
One of my faves...
"Cast your cares on the LORD and he will sustain you; he will never let the righteous fall."
Psalm 55:22
"Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God."
Philippians 4:6
Antalya had a PICC line, but it was when she was in the NICU, so she was too little to mess with it too much. It was much better than the IV. It seemed like they were having to place a new IV every other day until they decided to place the PICC. She had the PICC line for almost a month and it worked great.
Good luck. We are praying all goes well with this last round of chemo. GO Chelsea!!!
Sorry the Hickman had to come out. I was thinking if she has to get a PICC maybe you could get Chelsea one of these backpack safety things (not sure if you have one) then at least she could feel independent and roam but be safe and close to you. http://cgi.ebay.ca/New-Panda-Harness-Buddy-Child-Backpack-Safety-Leash_W0QQitemZ310043251933QQihZ021QQcategoryZ20412QQtcZphotoQQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
Tristan still takes off on me and I am off to toysrus to see if I can find one for him today. I can't keep him in a stroller forever. Anyway I just thought maybe it might help relieve some stress. Your in my prayers!
ok that link didn't copy right
hopefully this one will
http://www.nextag.com/child-backpack-harness/search-html
Aiden has had a PICC line, which he decided to remove...
Bloggy Award for you also.
Tucker had a pick line, the first one grew something so we pulled it. The 2nd one went well. THey are actually sewed to the skin so that they arent easily taken out. Maybe they can tape it around her arm past the actual site for added protection. Poor girl....it seems to always be something. After all this chemo stuff she will probably soar through life without complication....which she will deserve big time. I will continue to pray that all goes well and Chels doenst mess with the pic line.
POOR BABY!! My heart just breaks for her. She is such a brave little girl!!! Thinking of you all, but especially Miss Chelsea!
Post a Comment