Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Transfusions, Helmets, and Leukemia Questions Answered

Ryan came home last night after putting Chelsea to bed and my mom arrived at the hospital shortly after. When Chelsea woke up this morning she cried for quite a while. I think she was worried that she went to bed with Daddy and then woke up and neither of us were there. She warmed up to my mom again quickly though and is doing fine now.

Looks like Chelsea will be needing platelets and blood today. We're still waiting on the doctors to round to find out what the plan is. It seems like it takes 12 or more hours to get those things going so it may not be until tomorrow anyways. I had my mom put her helmet on knowing what a little crazy kid she can be and that can be dangerous when your platelets are low.

ANC - 189 (we're getting there!)
PLT - 22
HGB - 7.7

I wanted to address a question someone emailed me:
Why does Chelsea have to receive more chemotherapy if her bone marrow tests showed she is in remission?

First, the bone marrow aspiration is only a small sample of bone marrow, it's only a small piece of the whole picture. It is possible that there are just a few leukemia cells hiding in her bone marrow. It's highly unlikely after four full rounds of chemotherapy and two bone marrows showing her remission, but it is possible.

IF, by some chance there was even a few cancer cells left in her body, they would be SUPER cells that were able to hang on after all the chemo she's already received, they would be the strongest of the strong cells. SO, if we stopped the chemo now, and they survived, and multiplied, we would no longer be able to use this chemo. That would be worst case scenario of course AND it's something we have no need to worry about because we are continuing with the last two rounds of chemo. I am confident NO leukemia cells will survive all of this chemo ... once we are finished with her treatments, she will remain in remission FOREVER! (Positive thinking guys!)

Lastly, I must have led some of you to believe that she is finished with chemo for good, but she's only finished her 5th round. She still has one more round. Yep, crazy huh? I'm thinking the same thing, ... will this ever end? If things go well we should be finished by the end of May, just in time for summer!

I hope that clarifies for any of you who were confused.

5 comments:

Beth said...

Poor Chelsea! I'm sure Grandma will have her back to herself in no time - Grandma's have that way about them!!!

We are keeping Chelsea in our thoughts and prayers that everything goes smoothly with the last round of chemo!! Such a brave little fighter she is!!!

Thinking of you ALL,
Beth

Beth said...

I meant to add that I love the new "look" to the blog and the new header picture!

Michelle said...

Hooray for another round done! Karly's finishing her 5th (of 6) round today, too! But then she has radiation. But still - done with chemo will be great.

Glad Chelsea's doing well with your mom - and hope you're feeling better today, too!

Debra said...

This is my first time at your site and I just wanted to let you know that I will be praying for Chelsea and the rest of your family. Chelsea is such a beautiful little girl and I am so sorry that she is having to endure so much.

Hugs,
Debbie

Mommy to those Special Ks said...

Ahhh yep I read that wrong too! I thought she was done! OK one more round!!! YAY!