Monday, March 10, 2008

Tongue Tricks

If I had a dollar for everytime I heard about how cute Chelsea's tongue is!!!!!!!!!! I'd be a millionaire. For those of you who don't know, it's pretty common for kiddos w/ Down syndrome to spend a lot of time with their tongue out. Theory has it that because they have low muscle tone, it takes less work for their mouth muscles to leave the mouth in an open position with the tongue hanging out. Well Chelsea does a little more than just leave her tongue hanging out. Her tongue has become a genuine circus act. This kid can curl it, fold it and pick her nose with it. It's the craziest thing I've ever seen. To tell you the honest truth, I believe all of her tongue maneuvers take more muscle work than simply closing her mouth and keeping her tongue in. We're working on this. You might think it's so cute now and we should just go with it, but honestly, at 35 years old, the tongue hanging out past her chin won't be so cute. So next time you get ready to tell me how cute her tongue is hanging out, think about what you're saying first.

Photobucket

Tomorrow I will post the best picture I have ever taken of Logan. It's an amazing photo. Pure luck, but amazing nonetheless.

Good night!

7 comments:

Stacy said...

I stumbled onto your blog from a bloglines search. I work in early intervention, and I think your daughter is precious.

Melissa @ Banana Migraine said...

We get that comment ALL the time too!!

Chelsea is such a sweetheart!

Beth said...

While I see where you are coming from - she is still cute with her tongue out (for now at least)!!

She is such an adorable little girl!

Beth

Smurfy said...

It is cute for now, but I do agree with you about the tongue hanging out. My husband and I had to work hard at getting our daughter to learn to keep her tongue in her mouth. I don't think her husband was ever taught that because I constantly remind him to put it back in. So yes when they are in their 30's it's not so cute.

Mommy to those Special Ks said...

haha Kennedy can do amazing things with her tongue too! She does keep her mouth closed for the most part... when she was little whenever her tongue was out we'd wipe sour licorice over it and she'd close her mouth... she loves sour candy now! haha

Kari said...

I agree! Tristan likes to put his tongue out but usually when he is sick, upset or scared. It is heartbreaking the way he does it so I find it hard to teach him not to do it. Your right though it will not be so cute at 35. I am not finding it so cute at 4 to be honest.
This is a beautiful photo of Chelsea her eyes are gorgeous!!

Jan Steck Huffman said...

oh I have a different perspective my gal. A low tone, floppy tongue is one of pre-intervention days. Now, with all the therapies, our kids have these amazingly strong tongues, albeit too large for their smaller mouth cavities, so they have to do something with it!

BTW I still believe in genetics too. I still have my "stupid mom trick" of sticking my tongue up my nose, which Nash is taking after, so maybe Chels is taking after mom? hee hee