Saturday, March 22, 2008

Happy World Down Syndrome Day! (a little late)

VIDEO UNDER CONSTRUCTION ... VISIT LATER TO VIEW!

A couple of people were correct that World Down Syndrome Day was 3-21 representing Trisomy 21 (the triplicate of the 21st chromosome.) My hopes for individuals with Down syndrome? That others will see the potential that we, as parents do. I have nothing but the highest of expectations for Chelsea, she is capable of anything she sets her mind to. I can't even imagine what she'll grow up to do, ... great things I'm sure!

Now for some things floating around in my head since I have a captive audience ;)

Did you know:

* 1 in 700 babies are born with Ds
* over 90% of women who learn their fetus has Ds (Trisomy21) terminates the pregnancy
* most babies with Down syndrome are born to mothers under the age of 35 (there's a lot more of us young mothers having babies!)
* Down syndrome doesn't usually occur b/c it 'runs in the family'. Our geneticist explained it as a simple and random case of a 'sticky' egg ... as the cells began dividing at conception that chromosome 21 stuck together and therefore was copied as a triplicate in each cell of Chelsea's body.
* I can't stand it when people (especially medical staff ... doctors/nurses wink wink ...) refer to Chelsea as a Downs baby, I am a big believer in PEOPLE first language. Down syndrome doesn't define her ... she's a kid first, so I prefer, 'a child with Down syndrome.' Would you ever say, "wheelchair kids are so happy." ??? Probably not.
* Down syndrome is not a DISEASE ... hello?!!! God knew exactly what he was doing. Cancer is a disease!
* One more thing I can't stand? The R word! When you hear people use it, will you please remind them it's rude, ignorant and inappropriate to use that word to describe something that is ugly, annoying or unlikable. Please choose another word, as I see nothing ugly, annoying or unlikable about Chelsea!

I'm done, thanks for listening!

Please know that I enjoyed making this so much!!! I don't think I've ever seen a cuter bunch of kids, they are absolutely beautiful! Thank you for sharing your children with us!

19 comments:

Mommy to those Special Ks said...

That was awesome Carey! Thanks for including Kennedy!

Melissa @ Banana Migraine said...

Wonderful montage! What a lovely surprise you created. I hope you feel better!

Peggy said...

That was definitely worth the wait, Carey!! Thanks for including Cason. He'll be so excited to watch the video!!

Prayers and positive thoughts are still coming from us here in Indiana. Hang in there, you guys are doing a great job and you're almost done!!

Love & hugs,
Peggy, Cason's mommy

Ballerina Girl said...

I luv your suprise. It brought tears to my eyes. It wasn't sad, it was BEAUTIFUL. i also luv that poem on the side. a word that makes me mad is Bored. This is kinda wierd but I looked it up in the dictionary and it mean, dumb, do not know what to do. Unsmart.
Julia

Christina said...

That was so awesome! Thanks so much for including Kallie in it! And...I liked your own personal notes, it's like you were in my head! LOL

Michelle said...

Oh Carey, that was wonderful, honey! Thanks for including Wee E. I too hope you are feeling better soon. Hugs to all of you!

Michelle said...

what a beautiful montage you put together!

Anonymous said...

Beautiful!!!

We all watched at our house.

hugs, rebecca

mommy to Kaden, Brody and angel Ava said...

That was so sweet. I loved it. Thank you for sharing your thoughts and knowledge. Some of it really shocked me and made me sad. Well, I hope you guys have a wonderful Easter!!! Love, Amy

Shannon @ Gabi's World said...

Loved the video! I recognized so many faces including my precious Gabi! Thanks!

tekeal said...

hmmm... how wonderful. between WDSD and livia's 2nd birthday today, i appreciate what you've created with a deep and open heart. thanks you!

tekeal & livia

Michelle said...

Great video! I love the new button for Dream Big too.

Michelle & Matthew.

Angel Gabi's Mommy said...

Love the new button! And what can I say about the video...PERFECT in every way, just like our babies:)
Thank you so much for iuncluding our special little angel.

We love you!

MammaMayMiller said...

That's beautiful and so moving!! We are a big family aren't we?! :) Thank you for putting this together for us all.
Rachel, Thomas (the one with the horse and knight...) and family

Becca said...

Beautiful video! Your thoughts were all spot-on. I hope you're all feeling better!

Amy Flege said...

wow. it turned out awesome girl!!! i love it!! thanks for making it!! i will pass it on!!!!
hope you are feeling better and wow did rebecca do an awesome job or what???????????????

Lauri St.Pierre said...

Thank you for including our little guy, Gunnar! You did a fantastic job! You are always in our thoughts!

Lauri St.Pierre said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Beth said...

That was great and your "thoughts" were great as well!! I hope you are feeling better and that Chelsea is doing well also! P.S. - I got my mom to order mascara!!!

Beth