Sunday, February 10, 2008

Weekend Update

I'm back! Ryan and I had a great time this weekend. The actual seminar during the day on Saturday was focused towards couples who have problems in their marriage, and we didn't really feel like it applied to us too much, so we sat in the back row whispering and passing notes like teenagers. Afterwards we went to eat at a nice restaurant on the plaza and ate more than we should have. We even splurged and picked up a piece of cheesecake to go...which Ryan insisted we eat as soon as we got back to the hotel. I wanted to wait, because I was afraid I would make myself sick, ... and I did! I woke up sick in the middle of the night. Oops! My friend Chandra put it well, I was well fed, well loved, and in a five star hotel, is there a better place to get sick? ;)

We returned this morning to find Miss Chelsea happy as ever. She completely wore my mom down, and as usual didn't sleep much; only 9 1/2 hours last night, much shorter than her typical 12 hour nights. Her rash is back, but because we've been giving her benedryl around the clock, it hasn't gotten too bad. I did see the doctors today on rounds. Although I've been in my room awaiting their visit all week (I don't even go tot the bathroom between 10 and 12!) I haven't seen them round since we arrived on Tuesday. I guess they figure we've done this so many times they don't really need to stop in, or maybe it's because they don't like to suit up in their coody gear. I've been wanting to ask a doctor about her heart.

On Thursday, our nurse asked me if Chelsea had a heart murmur. "UH, no, ... why?" She said she thought she heard a murmur, so she listened again, then she said she might just be hearing her breathing funny. I explained that she was born with a hole in her heart, but at 10 months our cardiologist gave us the all clear. Although her hole hadn't closed completely, it had shrunk significantly, and she couldn't even hear a murmur anymore. She assured us this tiny hole would not cause any cardiac problems later in life, and she was hopeful it would completely close in the future. In fact no doctor we've seen has been able to hear a murmur since she was a baby, and we've seen many doctors since then!

So the nurse listened again and didn't hear it, but of course I was still worried. When we began chemo we were warned of all the side effects, and we knew the toxicity of the drugs can cause some individuals with Down syndrome to need heart transplants later in life. So each nurse we've had since then I've asked them to listen to her very carefully, and none of them has been able to hear the "murmur". I explained everything to the attending this morning and he listened to her and he too, heard nothing. Whew...I was sure it had to be something else that one nurse heard. Then I was extremely relieved to hear the attending explain that when chemotherapy effects your heart, it doesn't usually show up in the form of a heart murmur. ***sigh*** That was great news. To be honest, I can't even remember what he said after that. They did an echocardiogram before we began chemo and we will do another one at some point during her treatment, but I'm not sure when. I'll check with the doctors this week, but I think it isn't until after round 5, or possibly after our final round.

Tonight I talked to Logan on the phone, *I miss that kid so much* and he was so sweet. He asked me if I could call Grandma Barb and have her go to the hospital and stay with Chelsea and I could go home, then drive back to the hospital tomorrow. Bless his heart, he just wants me to come home for one night...he'd be happy with just ONE night (sniff sniff). Oh how I wish I could just pop in and out, I wish we lived just a little big closer. Ryan has a busy couple of days at the first of the week, but if things slow down at work, he's going to try and bring my little guy up here to visit one night. Oh how I would love that!

So tomorrow we begin a new work week, which means a new attending rounding on 4 Henson. Hopefully they'll stop in a little more often this week, if nothing more than to just say hello! One more week of isolation, she'll be released next Monday, Feb. 18...just about the time her counts should be bottoming out and she'll be feeling super yucky. So no we begin 'count recovery'.... Of course her counts haven't even had a chance to drop yet, so we have to watch them fall before they'll recover, and so starts the waiting game, round 4.

5 comments:

Mommy to those Special Ks said...

LOVE the diaper dance! Kennedy got several echos done during chemo just to check on everything. She was like Chels... small hole at birth that almost completely closed and they said she'd be fine... so birth girl dodged the heart issues only to have chemo possibly cause them later. Amazing! Glad you had a nice time away, even if the cheescake DID make you sick!

Melissa @ Banana Migraine said...

I'm glad the doctor was able to put the heart worries to rest.

I'm also glad that you had a fun night out even if it didn't end in the most fun way :)

Anonymous said...

She's looking as cute as ever! Love the video!!! Will danced his way through chemo too!!! BTW, he had his echo after he was done with his sixth cycle and has to have one every year now, I scheduled the echo during his nap time...he acually fell asleep and continued during the whole process, It helped that I laid down on the hospital bed next to him. You're almost done!!!! You're going to have a delightful summer this year!!! And this Christmas is definently something to llok forward too, everything takes on even more meaning after going throught this kind of thing!!! Try to have some zen moments to your self WHENEVER possible!!! (spa music, coffee, good book! I did that everyday when Will took a nap at the hospital)

mom2noah said...

So nice to hear you were able to spend some time with the hubby. What can I say about Chelsea, without repeating myself. She is the honey in my tea! Her smile makes my heart flutter everytime. She makes Noah flaps his arms in glee each and everytime he see a picture of her.
Logan is sooo sweet. I hope you get to see him soon as well.

Michelle said...

So glad to hear you were able to have a nice weekend getaway with Ryan - I'm sure you both really needed it!

Sorry to hear Logan's been missing you; I'm sure that must be so hard and not living close enough to the hotel to just run on home. Looks like he really enjoyed his Valentine gift!