Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Rules are Meant to Be Broken

Some days I just love therapy sessions. I'm sure I was just beaming by the time the occupational therapist left today, how could I not be thrilled? She had seen Chelsea once before upon admission the first round and it was right after Chelsea began walking. She was telling her student intern how good Chelsea's muscle tone is, and how impressed she is with everything she does. They were super impressed that she can eat well w/ utensils, I'll admit I'm impressed at how well she's eating lately too. I'm pretty sure she does better than Logan when it comes to using a spoon and fork!

Chelsea slept better last night. She was awake and ready to play at 7am. I guess I should go to bed earlier. I was up late working on a Valentine present for Ryan (I'll post pix later). I gave her a bath this morning b/c she was asking me all day yesterday for a bath. She slipped and bumped her head, but not too badly, it left a little red mark, but no bruises. Yesterday her platelets were 171, so I wasn't too worried. When I changed her diaper before her nap I noticed some little purple dots on her tummy. The nurse thought they were interesting too, but we couldn't figure out what they would be from. She didn't fall or jab herself with anything, all I can think of was from the tape we use to fasten the plastic wrap over her dressing so it doesn't get wet in the bath. After looking around a little more I saw some more purple dots on her chest just below her chin which is another place the tape was touching, so that must be it. The ARNP came and peeked at her but wasn't concerned. She thought her platelets will probably be pretty low tomorrow when we check labs again. I guess she needs to wear her helmet again! I'll admit I was a little freaked out at first, as I always am, ... is this another weird sign her cancer is back? But the nurses aren't too worried, so we'll just wait and see what the labs say tomorrow and keep an eye on anymore bruising.

Now for the fun part of our day:

How many more days of isolation? HMMM, 4!!! I think being so darned isolated is making me crazy. Today, I almost got into a fight with the crabby lady in the gift shop. I always thought she was nice, but today she wouldn't let her employee sell me 15 stamps. Yep, it's true, there's a 10 stamp minimum she said. "Well good," I replied, "because I need 15." "No," she repeated herself, "there's a 10 minimum." I'm utterly confused at this point as is the poor employee ringing me up. "Do you mean 10 maximum?" "Yes, you can only buy 10." OHHHHHH..... Well that's not going to work for me, you see I'm kind of stuck up here in the stinking hospital with my baby (who has cancer) and I need to send these Valentine's cards out to her brother and daddy, her grandparents and cousins. And what do you know that lady was stubborn as ever. So the lady next to me in line looked at me and said, "I'll buy 5 stamps for you." Awesome. So she did (with my $5 bill). As I left the gift shop with my 15 stamps the lady stopped me to explain for the third time why they have that rule. Honestly, I don't really care. I'm sure they have the rule so people don't come in and buy 50, but seriously, is 5 more stamps going to deplete you?

What is with people and following the rules? Either I am just a big trouble maker or some people in this hospital are such prudes. I'm all about following rules, I try to do what's "right," but I'm not against breaking a rule or two if the benefit out-weighs they consequence. Seriously if it's not going to hurt anyone, then what's the big deal? Maybe I need to go back to school. Maybe this philosophy is why my children are so ornery. Maybe I'm the root of Logan's behavior problems?!!! Yikes, I guess I need to be sent away to a convent.

And just think, the day is only half over! Who knew there could be such excitement up here at the hospital. Logan and Ryan are planning on visiting tonight, I can't wait to see that kid (and my husband too). I got him a super cute gift for Valentine's day, I'll post video of it tonight. Those of you who have been following us for a while will probably find it pretty funny. Let me give you a clue.

4 comments:

Two Shews said...

Um, I see goggles. A pool?

I really, really don't want to go the "Wild Thing" route...

mom2noah said...

Hi Carey, I'm glad you are able to put the gate back up. And no you are not a trouble maker, I just can't believe the "tudes" of the hospital staff. Of all people who should have compassion, for Pete's Sake they are working at a Children's hospital. UGH! I'm so glad you can spend time with the family tonight. Look forward to seeing more pictures of the kids and their Valentine surprise. I took another peek at the Wild thing video and laughed harder than the first time. I think we have a few extra yard sticks hanging around our garage, do you need me to fly out there and use them ? Keep your faith you are doing great considering all that is going on. Give Chelsea a bunch of hugs & Kissers for Noah & I oxox

Anonymous said...

Carey you are too funny. The gift shop here used to sell individual stamp but now will only sell them in books. I was a little irritated when I couldn't just get the ONE stamp that I needed to send out a card. Thankfully one of the nurses was nice enough to give me one.

Nicki & Ashlyn
cp: ashlynnichole

Unknown said...

Maybe you should go to mapquest and get directions from the Gift Shop to the nearest post office and give it to that crazy old lady. What a stupid rule!

Happy Valentine's Day!
Kristine