Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Good Morning

We've had quite a rough night last night. Not rough in terms of her being super sick, it's more so mommy who's having a rough time. It started yesterday evening when we had our 'hotel' room door open. Chelsea loves to watch people in the hall (although there weren't any) and there is a nurses station across the way she can see. She was babbling like crazy (can you say speech therapy???) and being her normal spunky self when our nurse came and closed the door. "I was told to close the door because she's on isolation," she explained. Well this was news to us for a few reasons:

1. We had a baby gate up this weekend and Chelsea's door was open...nobody said anything.
2. One nurse came by and told us that was the best idea ever (the baby gate)!!!
3. Sombody else (I can't remember who, wink wink) told us that they put a gate up for another child who didn't have parents with him and was on isolation, so he could see everyone in the hall.
4. And finally, our little buddy Brandon was in isolation for a long time when he first came here and he and his mommy used to sit right in the doorway all the time talking and watching people near the main nurses' station.

So I was extremely frustrated last night, and my response to that is shutting down. I just didn't even want to talk to anyone for fear I might say something I'd regret. After I went to get my dinner my nurse had to ask what was wrong, she knew something was up. What I wanted to say? "Whoever told us to shut the door needs to worry more about what's up her ... than what Chelsea's doing. Obviously that person doesn't know the benefits of social interaction for a young child with a disability (or any child for that matter.)" What I did say? "I just find it ridiculous that we have to shut the door on Chelsea when her RSV test was negative and there was nobody in the hall anyways to catch her 'coodies'." Of course there were two other nurses sitting up there and they all had something to say about it....blah blah blah, I don't care what they say, she doesn't have RSV!!! Then the more I started thinking about it, I'm now wondering if they even have positive RSV test results for her. That test was done in the ER in our home town and I seriously doubt they sent the results to Children's Mercy, I could be wrong, but I doubt it. They're probably just going on the fact that I said...she tested positive for RSV. So wonderful, I told on myself!

And things didn't get better once we went to bed. The good news was she went to sleep fairly quickly (only 18 minutes of fierce back and forth rocking mixed with a constant contraction of my arms keeping her in a straight jacket hold). We ended up with the same care assistant from the night before, and I'm starting to notice a trend about her. She wakes Chelsea up, and then leaves! The night before, around 4 am, I looked over and asked, "is she awake?" The CA answered, "yes, she's awake" and then turned around. I threw my arms up like, what the heck?!!! Then at 1am Chelsea woke up crying in her sleep and I look over and her crib rail was down!!! I about flipped out, in fact I thought I was dreaming, like surely not! Yep, so I jumped up, snuggled her for a minute then closed her in. Then at 6:30 my baby doll woke up crying again, so by this point I'm guessing she's likely in pain (today's day 8, just about the time she starts to feel ucky from the chemo). I asked the nurse for some pain med and was trying to unravel Chelsea as she was wrapped in her tubing from fluids. I just couldn't figure out where the tubing was headed, and I realized the CA had ran the tubing through her diaper when she changed her over night! Geesh. I asked if we could not have her again. I don't request not to have a nurse or CA very often, but I can't handle another night like that.

Fast forward to this morning, my little goofball Chelsea wakes me up by flipping the lights on and off, pulling the nurses call button out of the wall, chewing on her tubing ... and the nurse comes in and asks what's wrong? Rude awakening I guess. We're now watching Baby Signing Times for the 372nd time this round. Our nurse practicioner has already been in and admitted that the door closed thing seems ridiculous. She's also going to check and see if Chelsea and I can go outside tomorrow since it will be somewhat nice and her counts are still above 500. Our nurse for today also said she didn't think it was right that we had to keep the door shut, and she's going to check on that for us. Let's keep our fingers crossed that they allow us to get some air here in a little bit and open the door!

9 comments:

Sarah said...

Ugg I hate infection control and all there corhorts at CM. They suck!!!!

My son will always be in isolation now because he picked up VRE from KUMED and it's like the kiss of death. He no longer has it but they don't care.

Sorry you had a nazi nurse, hope you don't have to deal with her again.

When my son was in isolation for 10 days I didn't go outside the hospital for 7 of them and nearly lost my mind.

((Big hugs)), hope things go better today.

Anonymous said...

Hi Carey

They wouldn't even try to shut our door cause I would have to tell them right where to stick it.
Sorry they are being butts about it. Oh I had someone leave Ashlyn's side down ONCE and I freaked out and it has never happened again :)
I will be sending you an email in just a bit.

Nicki & Ashlyn
cp: ashlynnichole

Unknown said...

Carey,
I am so sorry to hear the bad news. Only 5 more days of isolation. Easy for me to say, huh?! Sending lots of calming prayers your way! Stay strong.
Kristine

Jamy Dunbar, Head Coach said...

Yikes! When do the install the bars and locks? Are you starting to feel like you broke some law and ended up in maximum security prison? Just a few more days. Someday this will make a great story to tell, huh???

Sending freeing thoughts your way!

Mommy to those Special Ks said...

Ohhhh Carey, I SOOO feel your pain... it's seriously bringing back flashbacks of our chicken pox isolation. It DOES suck. I told the nurses I felt like we'd been kicked off the island LOL. *sigh* I'm so sorry you're going through this... as if it's not bad enough that Chels is in there for CHEMO then they make you feel like you have the plague. I hope the NP can fix it for you and I hope you don't get the same CP tonight. I "fired" a few of them myself!

Melissa said...

Oh, Carey...what a lousy day/night! I'm hoping that today is going much better for you. I wouldn't have been as nice as you were...and Bill will tell ya, I would have been storming out there kicking butt and taking names (I have quite a short temper). Give that cutie a big sloppy kiss from Garrett!

The Bryant Family said...

wishing you a better day and a day full of sitting at the door, gate up, yelling and making a bunch of noise. :) Hang in there. Love the Valeninte pics of Chels...she looks great0.

Pam said...

Oh Carey! That just plain is stupid. When Rhett had Rotavirus we were on isolation, and I'll be damned if I was going to let them keep our door shut! I mean I am sure that there are different rules for your floor, where children have cancer, but still. What it wrong with a stupid gate? I say BRILLIANT!!

Anyways, off my soap box now, I just feel so bad for you guys!

Hopefully you can go out tomorrow. Give Chelsea a huge hug for me, and a big ol' lick (kiss) from Rhett.

Chelsea is looking absoutley beautiful as ever.

((HUGS!!))

Izzy, Emmy 'N Alexander said...

i am out of breath just reading that post. it's such a bummer that they are so picky about the door thing. i can't imagine my girls being shut in a room. its hard enough keeping them contained in my home! and the nurse thing, kudos to you for requesting another.