Tuesday, January 01, 2008

Make Mama Happy

So it's been a whirlwind of emotions and frustrations the past couple of days. We woke up yesterday to find Chelsea's labs had taken a huge leap...

ANC 1,000
Hemoglobin 8.8
Plts 32,000

We were obviously taken back to see her ANC had jumped up so high, it's supposed to be dropping and bottoming out here soon. I did notice she had been acting better all weekend, less drooling, sleeping better, and not fussing or in pain any longer. Surprisingly she didn't need blood like I had thought, but they did go ahead and give her platelets.

No one really knew why her ANC went up instead of down and the nurse practitioner insisted she was still dropping, and not to get excited, it's just a fluke. She said they would redraw the labs Wednesday or Thursday. The more I started contemplating the labs though, the more questions I had. Who knows, maybe her counts bottomed out at 400 and were already on the rise. Although it was only day 12 and they insisted that wasn't possible, I reminded them not to underestimate this little girl. They told me again and again no, no, no, she's not going up. I reminded them that everytime someone has made a generalization about this little girl, she has proved them wrong. I also reminded the doctor that she is the first child on this study at our hospital, so no one really knows exactly how they will react to the protocol. He answered, "but she's not the only child with Down syndrome and AML that has ever received chemo." I insisted that they recheck her labs today. I didn't want them to eliminate the possibility she could be going up. He was reluctant, but agreed to keep me happy.

I also started thinking about the fact that her WBC had gone up and the way that she was acting the day before, not walking, a little weak, etc. It was eerily similar to her behaviors when she was first diagnosed. Of course it crossed my mind that maybe the cancer was back, or the chemo wasn't working and didn't knock her counts down like they should have. The doctor admitted that the cancer could come back, today, tomorrow, or next week, but nothing that we see on her labs is going to change what they do right now. Oh yes, and he also told me I have some anxiety issues ... the nerve!

So, in order to make mama happy, we redrew labs this morning:

ANC 110 (quite a drop from 1,000!)
PlTS 124,000 (thanks to the transfusion)
Hemoglobin 8.0 (she'll probably need blood soon)

We really don't know what happened with her labs on Monday. There's no explanation for all of her counts rising. Maybe they got them mixed up and it wasn't even Chelsea's labs. We'll never know. What we do know is that she is dropping, I'll admit it, they were right (isn't that why they get paid the big bucks?)

I really wasn't doubting the doctor, I just wanted him to entertain the idea that Chelsea isn't like every other AML patient. Really, don't underestimate this kid because as soon as you do, she'll prove you wrong!

9 comments:

Angel Gabi's Mommy said...

Carey, for your own sanity I am so glad you were so persistant to redraw labs. It is so important we make sure these doc's have all the explaination when it comes to our babies. Chelsea is one amazing little girl and she expect you to stay on top of things...
Afterall, momma knows best, don't ever doubt yourself:)

Love and Prayers!!!

Anonymous said...

Don't worry Carey, Will's counts did the same exact thing. He would go down like normal and then shoot up, only to go down the next day. It was a consistent pattern for him, I learned to ignore the first rise and wait for the counts to go up the second time. Hope that helps!

Amy Flege said...

good job fighting for your kid carey!! glad you got them to retest! They cannot under estimate her or YOU! happy new year!!!

Unknown said...

Good Job Carey for insisting that the doctors listen to you and do what you feel is best for Chelsea!! Do you remember Nurse Cheryl from the breastfeeding support group? She was huge on patient's rights and would remind me all the time to be vocal to doctors and nurses about what I expected for me and my kids and to never feel bad about that. It sounds like you are doing exactly that!

Kristine

Jamy Dunbar, Head Coach said...

Way to go, looking out for Chels that way! You are doing a terrific job! Just remember, you are her advocate. If something doesn't feel right to you, trust yourself. Mommy knows best!

Anonymous said...

Always go with you instincts. You know your baby better than the doctors and nurses.

You have an anxiety issues? My guess is the doctor would develop the same "anxiety issues" very quickly if he was in your shoes.

I think you're doing a great job looking out for Chelsea. And remembering what doctors sometimes forget - every patient is different!

Anonymous said...

Oh my word! The nerve of that doctor!

Keep up the good work, Mom. You're doing great, "anxiety issues" and all! ;)

Mommy to those Special Ks said...

Kennedy's counts did the same thing. I remember one time we got her counts and I was like "WOW they're going up... we haven't even been here 2 weeks yet!" The nurses laughed at me. LOL Needless to say they were back down the next day. It happens. BUT I totally wouldn't have been surprised if Chels WAS on her way back up! I'd never underestimate her and you have EVERY right to ask for those counts whenever you want! :)

Shannon @ Gabi's World said...

Gee, who wouldn't have anxiety issues dealing with what you have had to deal with (especially you child having Leukemia)? I know that doctor would, too! My thought when you said she was going up was exactly what you thought too. I thought what if it's not working? I am glad to see you insisted the redraw. I am actually relieved to see her ANC drop. I bet it was a mix-up with another child's blood!