Friday, January 04, 2008

I cannot tell you how thrilled I am right now that Ryan and Logan are here! For now, they're both healthy. Ryan gave Chelsea her bath and put her to bed for me tonight. It was such a nice change. Last night she didn't go to bed until 11:45 and it was a nurse who finally got her down. Whew! Then she was up bright and early at 8am which is a little early for her. I know she's extremely tired, so hopefully she'll get in her full 12 hours tonight.

Today after lunch I had to change her clothes and I noticed my finger slipped inside of her dressing where her Hickman is. Then of course she goes in with her little sticky fingers and I immediately pulled them out. My first thought was to tape it closed, but I thought I ought to show the nurses first. Of course that was a welcoming for bacteria...which with her counts low, means infection. The nurse opted to do a complete dressing change, so I prepared for the wrestling match. She's getting much better at tolerating us pulling tape off of her but when we clean her sensitive skin with the alcohol based cleaner she still screams. I imagine I'd probably have something to say about it too! So for now we watch her for fevers, cause you know what that means...yep, infection. I pray it wasn't open long enough for anything to get in there. We could really use some of that luck we've been lacking lately.

Labs tomorrow. Maybe, ... just maybe, we'll be able to see what her trend is. Are her counts falling or rising?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Carey,
FYI: our hospital had adhessive remover pads (just like the rubbing alcohol pads, but not as harsh to the skin. It smells like oranges) plus if her skin is getting irritated from the line touching her skin, it did for Will too, so a nurse had a great idea, we cutt small strips of folded gauze (for protection and cushioning )and would put that under the line between the skin and the line and would put the tape over that, his skin was no longer irritated. hope this helps!

Jamy Dunbar, Head Coach said...

I am so glad the boys are healthy and there with you. It must be a welcome relief to see them walk through the door.

I hope you are able to get some good rest while the extra hands are there.

Anonymous said...

I am glad your family is together, Enjoy the rest of the week end.
Carol & abigail

Mommy to those Special Ks said...

Praying for NO NO NO infections!!!