Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Home Sweet Home

Well here I am, on 4 Henson once again. Chelsea and I have accepted that this is our second home these days. Let me clarify though, I'm updating from 4 Henson, but b/c of Chelsea's RSV, she's not staying on this oncology floor. It's too risky for the other patients, but she's right across the hall, still on the 4th floor, and the same doctors are looking after her. You're probably wondering though why we're at the Children's hospital now, so let me back track a bit.

When we arrived at our local hospital yesterday they did new blood cultures and drew labs (one set from her hickman and one from her arm, urgh, I hate it when they stick her!) They were in close contact with her oncologist and they collaborated on which antibiotic to start her on until the cultures grow out. Once this happens, usually in 48 hours, they will be able to identify which antibiotics her bug will respond to. With the antibiotic that they started, the had to do more labs at the beginning and in the middle of her third dose, which of course was super early this morning. Rise and shine! Once again, the people at SV insisted that in order for this all to be accurate they had to do both sets in her arm again. Let's just say it was quite a rude awakening for my sleeping beauty. It was obvious she was still feeling yucky though b/c she went right back to sleep!

When the doctor arrived this morning she noted that Chelsea's white blood count had dropped significantly from 5.1 to 2.5 overnight. White blood cells are the cells that fight off infections. If you're not familiar w/ the numbers, 2.5 is super low for typical people, but actually for Chelsea it's usually the point at which they start chemo again, so it's not too bad for her. Understandably though the pediatrician in the hospital was concerned that if Chelsea did start feeling worse again she wouldn't have the resources to care for her at their hospital. So we agreed to watch her, and within 10 minutes, Chelsea threw up all her meds. The nurse said, I'll be right back and went to talk to the doctor. Thirty minutes later I tracked the nurse down...and just as I suspected, they were making plans to transfer her to Children's. It was just a precautionary measure on their part, they have no pediatric intensive care unit, so this really is a better place for her to be. In all fairness, it's not everyday you see a two year old come in who is being treated for chemo and then has RSV, pneumonia, vomiting, diarrhea and an infection in her central line. I look back now though and I just wish we would have come here in the first place. Well we know now for next time (which hopefully there won't be a next time!)

We have lots of theories as to why her numbers have been so wacky, but there's really no right answer. My mom suggested she was hemoconcentrated which basically means she was dehydrated for so many days her blood was showing that her numbers were significantly higher than they truly were. Another possibility is that her body was working so hard to fight the infection she was getting, her white blood count was very high, and once they started the antibiotics it dropped back down again. Dr. Gamis' (our oncologist) just told me that's what their counts just do. He (like the others on the hemoc team) wasn't surprised at all and still believes that it's not abnormal for her counts to fluctuate after the chemo she has received, her bone marrow is still recovering after all.

Children's Mercy sent an ambulance to pick up Chelsea this afternoon, and quite frankly I think they were probably surprised to see such a healthy looking girl being transported to their hospital. By the time they arrived she was feeling good, fighting me for a nap, and ready to play. Did you know they have DVD players in the ambulances now? Chelsea had a good time entertaining the paramedics and taught them a little sign language as they all watched Baby Signing Times together! I followed in my car.

Of course a new hospital means going through the 'admit' process AGAIN...sigh. So that's twice in the ER, once at SV and once at Childrens: 4 admissions in 6 days. Whew! I never knew I could memorize such a long list of medications, and symptoms, and blood counts, etc....but I have now. Amazing how much information our brains can hold. I'm wondering if I can just take that 'little' test and go ahead and get my license to practice medicine. Sheesh I might as well be making some money off of all this knowledge I've got!

The resident has been in contact with SV, where we were admitted yesterday and SF, the hospital whose ER we went to on Monday night. She discovered tonight that although they both did blood cultures on the same child, they've both got different 'bugs' growing in her central line specimens. Can you believe it?! They said the second culture from SV is one that could possibly be contaminated, but if not, it could just mean she truly has two infections going on in her little body. As I've said a million times though, she's still the healthiest little sick kid you'll meet. Children's took a third blood culture tonight, but it may show nothing since she's already been on antibiotics for 24 hours. They also took yet another blood count which shows her ANC is at 800. That's pretty low, but fortunately it's above the super scary 500, neutropenic low.

What do I need? Prayers. Although she looks great, please pray that there's not more than one infection growing and that whatever it is that was making her so sick responds well to the antibiotics. I really don't want to find too many bugs in her line, or they may opt to replace the whole Hickman...which means surgery. Let's not even go there!

My angel is wiped out now, sleeping like a log. They're monitoring everything tonight, her oxygen, heart rate, etc.,... just because. They're not particularly worried about her breathing or heart, they just want to keep her monitored for a while. As soon as I know something I'll update, I'm hoping to get it figured out and go home Thurs. or Friday on IV antibiotics.

17 comments:

Mommy to those Special Ks said...

Sheesh Chelsea! You're giving everyone a run for their money huh?! We are praying for no more than one infection so you all can get on with this chemo thing and get it overwith! Keep us posted!

Michelle said...

She's in my prayers that the antibiotics kick in and beat this infection (or 2!) and that she gets healthy again!

Michelle said...

Sending prayers of health here too! Carey - your strength is an inspiration to so many. We are praying for you all. Lots of love and sweet dreams to Chelsea!

Anonymous said...

Carey-What an absolute inspiration you are. I can not possibly fathom what kind of strength it would take to endure even a third of what you and your family have gone through! And Chelsea, what a little trooper! Many blessings to you all.
Angie

Anonymous said...

Wow, dvd player in the ambulance.. I'm an emt and we don't have them like that around here! She probably made their day! We love patients like Chelsea. Feel better Chelsea!! Then again it seems like she feels pretty great most of the time, despite her being sick.. what a kid!

Anonymous said...

been there, Will had some pretty persistent fevers going on, they wanted to stick him and I refused to let them because, if it's in the line, once the line is flushed the bacteria will go into the blood stream in her body, so there really isn't any reason to stick a child that has a broviac. I argued with he resisdent doctor in urgent care, then they called Will's doctor who agreed with me.

When you get a chance (sorry to bug you) but I really want to know if Chelsea has received her gift. Let me know when you can. thanks! I hope she likes it! :)

Sounds like she's going to be o.k. thank goodness!!!!Hopefully there won't be a next time, but if there is I'd push to get her in the hospital should anyone get sick while she's at home. At least at the hospital the sick person is in isolation. (at least where we were they were)

Jamy Dunbar, Head Coach said...

And again I say "Yikes!" That sweet little angel. She is one tough cookie, just like her mommy. If I had all of that going on in my body I would probably just collapse from it all. She just keeps bouncing right back though, doesn't she?!! A true inspiration to us all.

You are in a good place with medical staff that knows what they are doing. Rest a little if you can so that when you go home you are ready to go again.

We miss you guys!

The Bryant Family said...

Mercy ROCKS....they will get to the bottom of it and make her feel better!!! You are in the right spot now. I learned, through many experiences, you just pass any other hospitals that are closer and make the trip. When Hunter got sick this last time and we went to SOOOO many different doctors and she still wasnt better, I took her to Mercy. They did a spinal and found out the problem.
I am sorry you are there but I believe it is a place were miracles happen.....you are in my prayers.

Unknown said...

Just yesterday I was thinking that once Chelsea finishes her chemo, you should really think about pharmacy school. Tons of money in the field and I think you have a lot of medical training under your belt by now! Sending more prayers for Chelsea - and you and Ryan and Logan. Speaking of your boys, how are they feeling? Is Ryan back to normal? How about Logan?
Kristine

Amanda said...

Carey,
Sending big hugs & prayers for Chelsea. I can understand the phrase: the healthiest looking sick kid", cause Sarah does that to me all the time. Albeit she isn't dealing with leukemia, but that just proves how strong our kids are!! Chelsea is a trooper, and so are you guys. Prayers for continued strength for you & your family!

Anonymous said...

Praying for precious Chelsea, you , and your family.

amanda mb, sc

Megan said...

We are praying for you precious girl!!

Anonymous said...

All I can say is WOW! We are praying for you Chelsea and you too Carey!

Nicki & Ashlyn
cp: ashlynnichole

Kari said...

Praying for Sweet Chelsea and her Mommy!

mom2noah said...

My goodness, it has been not stop for your family. I'm not surprised that the doctors fell in love with Chelsea. Jeepers, how can anyone resist her Sweetness. I will continue to pray for Chelsea , you , Ryan & Logan . One side note, I had to chuckle when you mentioned the dvd in ambulance. I too had the unfortunate pleasure to take a ride with Noah in a high tech ambulance to CHOP when he was so young. I couldn't believe how comfortable the ride was and the tv/dvd they had.
Hang in there girl, sending lots of hugs. Terry

Angel Gabi's Mommy said...

You have definitely been busy! We are praying for a quick recovery from the uckies! Poor Chelsea, it's always something, but at least you know she is getting the best care!
Give her a big hug from us!
Love and Prayers!

Angel The Alien said...

Dude, I was in an ambulance a few months ago and it so totally did not have a DVD player! Plus the mean paramedic dude didn't know how to do an IV and stabbed me about forty times!
Your kiddo can charm the pants off anyone, can't she!