Monday, January 07, 2008

Confirmed...My Daughter has a Disability

Saturday morning I was taking a load to the car and I ran into another mother cruising the halls of the hospital with her little boy. We smiled and she said that she had seen my little girl running around quite a bit. She told me how cute she was and then pointed to her son and said, "I think they're about the same age." I replied in interest, "oh really, she'll be two next week." Her eyes got big and she answered, "oh really, oh I guess they're not." Okay, now she had really caught my attention, so I took the bait, "how old is he?" Her answer..."13 months." My heart skipped a beat. ***sigh*** So nice to know people think my daughter is half her age. What a slap in the face. I resisted commenting and continued walking. Some people. Seriously!!!! I was furious, but I'm over it now.

Revisiting the New Year's Resolution: for the ease of things I've decided to start a Live Healthy America team (www.livehealthyamerica.org) instead of reinventing the wheel. So far I have Michelle, Karen and Sharon ready to join our team...a couple of others mentioned it, but please comment or email again so I can get you on the list now that I'm home. Chandra, Jen and Rene??? I thought Dream Big would be a perfect team name since it's my little lady's blog that connected us in the first place! It's not too late to join, I'll hold off on registering the team. The cost is $15 and we'll be tracking weight loss and activity, so be ready to get moving! You also get a tshirt and free subscription to a fitness magazine. Please let me know by Sunday, January 13.

9 comments:

Mommy to those Special Ks said...

Carey, people think Kennedy is 1 all the time... and she's 3 1/2! LOL It's just because she's so small. I've get the comment "oh wow she talks really well for being so young!" I just say thank you and move on LOL.

I'm thinking about the fitness thing. I HAVE to lose weight before Frank comes home for R&R. I'm just chicken. LOL

Angel Gabi's Mommy said...

Don't let other people's comments get to you. Sometimes I just wish people would keep their thoughts to themselves, sure would be better on the emotions.

I cannot wait to get my picture from you. We will be in town Wed. next week. We will pick up Gracie from school on friday around 3:30, maybe we could get together then since we will be in Topeka??? Let's keep in touch and see if that will work. Gracie would love to play with both of the kiddos!!!

And sorry, but I will be unable to partcipate in your weight lose team, I have to gain:)

HugS!!!

The Bryant Family said...

I am ready...just let me know what I need to do.! YEA, maybe I can get motivated with others doing it with me. Great team name...I love it. Also, I agree with Micah, dont let them bother you. I know it does, it does me too sometimes, then all I have to do is look at Tucker and his smile melts my heart. Chels is the same way, I bet that lady doesnt get wet kisses on the mouth like you do...hee hee. We , our families, are so blessed! Dont let anyone make you feel less than just that.

Anonymous said...

Hi Carey, sorry for your run, hopefully she was just trying to be friendly but flat out blew it. Needless to say, not something you needed to deal with or hear. Hugs! I just joined weight watchers with a few gals at work, otherwise I would have loved to join Dream Big. Give Cutie a few hugs for me.

Angel The Alien said...

Once a guy on a train commented that my niece talked very well for her age, and said he had a nephew the same age who didn't talk nearly as well. Then he mentioned that his nephew was 2! I said Abby was actually four, and he looked embarassed and said, "Oh, well I guess they make girls smaller!"

The Foley Five said...

Don't worry about what other people say. Kali is super small and people can't believe that she's walking and talking... they think in size that she's more like 9 or 10 months... she's almost 18 months old! All that matters is how you feel about Chelsea and what she is achieving!

Unknown said...

We are praying for Chelsea and you all! I love your prayer pager thing. Very cool! I hope to have a link to your page from ours soon. Caden is back at CMH with a fever of 104.8. He arrived on Sunday when you were coming home. :) He is down to a low grade fever now. Anyway, blessing and peace to you!
www.cadenwhite.com
darin, shannon, noel & caden white

Anonymous said...

I think that it is the size. I got ot with my other daugher.She would get mad and tell them "I am not a baby I am .... " She 9 now people think she alot younger. 1 person thought Abigail was 18 months. She was 3 then. I am short and when I was a kid people always thought my sister who was 2 years younger then me was older. Carol&Abigail

Shannon @ Gabi's World said...

Maybe she's just a bad judge of age like me! I'm horrible at guessing people's ages.

I would love to do the Live Healthy America. It doesn't matter if I've already been dieting does it? I started just before the holidays and am down 19 pounds. I just joined the YMCA, too!