Saturday, December 08, 2007

It's Beginning to Look a Lot Like Christmas...

This weather is just great...that is if you don't have to go anywhere. We're having the perfect, stuck in your house weather. Snow, sleet, cold, but beautiful. I couldn't ask for anything better if I had to be stuck inside. Logan and I are always looking for a good excuse to drink hot chocolate, so this is just perfect! We're setting up our Christmas decorations today. Nothing big, but a small (fake) tree with some decorations, the nativity and a few other odds and ends. Next year we're definately going all out with a great big "real" tree! I've got the kids outfits for Christmas all together and we're ready ... for what I don't know. Even if we're stuck in the hospital for Christmas, at least the kids will look good!

Miss Chelsea is her normal playful self, and you would never know she's sick right now. She's had diahrea since Wednesday and she's thrown up a few times (one being just this morning). Each time she's thrown up it's after she ate something. Other than those few times she really hasn't eaten anything either. We can get her to drink a little bit, her normal favorites, yogurt smoothies, milk, pediasure. Since I'm getting some calories in her I haven't been too worried, but this is day four and it's not getting better. I called her doctor on Wednesday when it started and she acted like it was no big deal, probably just a virus, but I'm starting to wonder what in the heck is going on. She is still having wet diapers, but definately not as many as she usually has. Any of my AML friends...any ideas? Surely this couldn't be a side effect of chemo still? She hasn't had chemo since November 11. We took Logan in to the dr. this morning for his chronic cough (he got a steroid for swelling, no infection though!) and I told the nurse about Chelsea. She said if she's still having 6-8 stools a day that we need to call Monday morning and get her looked at. She said they can weigh her and possibly give fluids if we need to. Well enough poop talk for today, off to decorate!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I assume the doctor you spoke to was Chelsea's Oncologist? If so I'm suprised by his passivness! Roto-virus, can be really bad when counts are down, c-diff....your doctors should have at least asked for a stool sample! four months after Will was done with chemo he had the roto-virus, it got serious very quickly to where he wasn't moving much, I had to rush him in to get fluids for four hours!
It doesn't matter if her counts are up or not, her immnue system has taken a beating from the chemo, so it should be treated differently.

Are all of her bowel movments watery? No fevers i assume (otherwise you'd be on the way to the hospital, right?) To have watery stools and vomiting, isn't good, go with your gutt instinct. It's better to look paranoid and be safe than to just trust the doctors and be sorry.

Not much more to go!!!
sorry for the little venting, hoping she's o.k.!

Anonymous said...

I am so glad you guys go to go home! (I'm a little behind on my blog reading.) The pics are so cute! Chelsea looks great and looks like she had tons of fun in the snow with her big brother. The helmet looked adorable on her too!

I'm really surprised the doc was so casual too. I would be concerned about her immune system being weak, but also about dehydration. Kids can dehydrate so fast, and the dehydration can wreak havoc on blood and enzyme levels. Hope you get it sorted out with no problems!

Have fun decorating!

Stephanie said...

I pray Miss Chelsea starts feeling better soon. I don't have a clue with what you are dealing with so I have no words of wisdom.
Hopefully the decorating will help and all will get better soon. I hope we get to see pics of the little tree and other decorations...I have a lil' tree this year too which I will share this week.

Amy Flege said...

hope miss sweet pea is feeling better. the pukes and the poops are the worst!!! hugs!!