Sunday, December 30, 2007

Call it What you Will...

I promised I'd update with her labs from Saturday, so here they are...better late 5than never!

ANC 420...(yep, it can go up and down, but rest assured, we're not going up already)
HBG 8.7
PlTS 81,000

It's been kind of a crazy weekend. The good news is the pain or sores don't seem to be bothering her too badly this weekend. She did fuss over night and I got her some more pain meds, but that's it.

Ryan confessed Saturday morning his cold was only getting worse AND that he had some severe tooth pain he was trying to suffer through. His wisdom teeth are really coming in and they're pushing on the rest of his teeth. Apparently one of his molars was under so much pressure it broke in half while he was eating popcorn! I was so mad at him for hiding it from me. I made him go to a prompt care at Walgreens. They sent him home with an antibiotic, decongestant and a pain med. His tooth isn't infected, but I'm calling the dentist Monday morning and he'll have to have them pulled very soon. Of course he's freaking out about it, but he's going to have accept that he'll have to take some time off of work and just do it. I admire his strength, but I would also like to kick him in the butt. It could have been much worse and he'd be in the hospital just like Chelsea!

When Chelsea took a nap yesterday the boys and I went to eat lunch and then pick up some basics at Target. Logan was being really good...which we all know is very strange. He was quiet the whole time in the car, and I knew something was up. When we got back to the hospital Chelsea was awake (housekeeping went in shortly after we left and woke her up!!!) I took Logan's temp out of curiosity, and it was 102!!! I triple checked it and sure enough he had a fever. We had no choice but to send the boys home. Fortunately Logan hadn't smooched or loved on Chelsea too much since they arrived.

Ryan gave him Tylenol before they headed home and he fell asleep before they hit the highway. His fever never did come back, but now he's got the sniffles. It must be a new cold. Ryan on the other hand was doing even worse today. I called to check in and he had been throwing up all morning. I called his mom and she went to check in on him. We think it was just all the meds that were making him sick, so he stopped the pain medicine for his teeth. I pray he doesn't have a stomach bug, that's the last thing Chelsea and I need. The good thing is he was wearing a mask the whole time he was around us b/c of the cold that won't go away. I'm not sure if they'll come up for New Years, and I'm not sure I want them to! I kind of want them to make sure they're both completely well before they come up here again. Chelsea nor I can afford to be sick right now.

More on Chelsea...today she was crawling quite a bit instead of walking, and she would lay down on the floor (yep the dirty hospital floor, yuck!) She also had some bruises on her face, her bottom and her leg. I suspect that her hemoglobin is so low it's making her tired and her platelets must have dropped since yesterday. I tried to get them to do labs today, but they already scheduled them for Monday morning and said she would be fine until then. I'd put money on it that she'll need transfusions tomorrow!

She also wasn't drinking much today, so I did something that will likely cause our therapists to throw a fit. I hate for her to be on fluids during the day, but we don't have a choice if she doesn't drink enough. I was watching her stumble down the hallway today feeding her doll it's bottle, then she would take the bottle and put it in her mouth and laugh. Then it struck me. Why not put something in a bottle for her to drink? I asked the nurses if I was crazy and if this might be something I'll regret forever, and of course they all said it was up to me. Well, the kid has NEVER even taken a bottle. If you remember, she refused it as a baby, so I decided, what the heck?! The nurse handed it to her and she didn't put it down until bed tonight. She drank 20 ounces of milk in an hour and a half!!! and another 4 ounces of water before bed. She not only met her fluid requirements for the day, but also the night, so little missy isn't hooked up tonight! I know it looks quite odd to see her walking around sucking on a bottle, and some might call me a hypocrite. After all, I'm usually the one saying, "Oh my gosh, look at that 2 year old still taking a bottle!"

Labs in the morning...good night!

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Carey,
I say WHATEVER WORKS!!! Hope everyone gets to feeling better soon!!! You all have been in our thoughts and prayers.
Chris A.

Carey said...

Hey Chris, I wanted to tell you guys THANK YOU so much for everything. The kids loved all their gifts, and it was so amazing what you all did for us. I have to admit I think all of the gifts were a hit with the kids, but I especially got a kick out of Elmo! I kept pushing that button on the box and Ryan couldn't figure out where the sound was coming from. At one point I think he was about to clobber me and Logan and I just looked at each other and laughed b/c we knew it was just a button on the box! Thanks again and Happy New Year to you all!

Anonymous said...

You are VERY welcome!! Well, you will have to thank Eddy for Elmo, he thought you all could use a good laugh, even up there! You guys have a Happy New Year also. You all deserve it!

Michelle said...

Hi Carey! We are finally back from a 10 day Christmas road trip. I've been following your blog when possible but haven't had time to post. My parents and inlaws don't have the most up to date technology!! I hope Ryan and Logan are better soon. Sounds like Chelsea is doing well although I'm sure the sores were not fun. I agree with the bottle, if it works, use it. At least she is getting fluids in her without an IV. I hope you and Chelsea ring in the New Years together without any complications.

Praying for all!

Michelle

The Bryant Family said...

I agree, whatever works to keep them off IV.....do it. Tucker has never taken a bottle either but the other day he was sucking on the nipple-you better believe IF he can take his liquids by mouth, whether it is bottle or straw, I am doing that instead of down the feeding tube. You are completely OK with the bottle, dont even sweat it. I will be anxious to see if she needs a transfusion today. Usually moms know what is going on by instinct and I bet you are CORRECT in saying you think she will need one. Have a good day!!

Anonymous said...

If you are worried about Chelsea becoming hooked on the bottle, try limiting it to just the hospital. For example, leaving it at the nurse's station when you depart and picking it up when you need it on your next visit. Hugs and prayers to all!

Melissa @ Banana Migraine said...

I hope everyone starts feeling better and you and Chelsea stay healthy!

I fear I'm going to be one of those moms with a 2 year old drinking a bottle - but you know what? You have to do what works - my d has to gain weight and the bottle is still the main way she eats. Anyway, it's the same thing (even more important) with Chelsea! Don't worry about it!

Unknown said...

Carey, Don't worry about the bottle. If it means Chelsea is getting her fluids - then who cares what other people think!! Here's to a happy and healthy new year!!

Kristine
p.s. I am finally over my cold so if you need somebody to give you a break tomorrow, give me a call - 542-3364.

Kitty, Nathanael's Mom said...

Hi! After all that little angel's been through, she can have whatever she wants LOL No, seriously I'm glad she got the fluids in her and it mean't one less hookup! ;) what a doll and a trooper. Here's to a very happy new year to you all!

Angel The Alien said...

I'm glad the bottle works! The novelty of it probably makes it easier for her to drink!

Mommy to those Special Ks said...

Hey WHATEVER it takes to make her drink! Seriously! You've come so far without a feeding tube, no point on getting one now if you can help it!