Saturday, December 01, 2007

The Good and the Bad

Starting with the good, I'm updating from home!!! Yipee, it feels good. Now for the bad, Chelsea's not home with me. It was so hard leaving her last night, but I knew I had to get home or I'd lose my mind and I would only make this darned cough that much harder to get over. She was doing great when I left. She's as happy as can be and I know she's ready to come home. Friday morning our nurse practitioner came in to see her and was excited about her labs from over night.

ANC -20!!!
monos- 1.8(down from 2.2 Thursday)
platelets - 31
HMG - 9.1
WBC - .57

Her ANC and WBC went up and she told me she was going to push for discharge during rounds. She said they can switch her to oral antibiotics for the last few days of it and there's no reason she couldn't go home. So guess who packed up our entire room?!!! Yep, while I was waiting for them to round I was busy. But I waited, and waited, and waited. Apparently they had meetings at noon, so then they left. I was livid. She told us we were probably going home, then we didn't hear from anyone. Around 1:30 I saw her stopping into the room next door and when she left I chased her down the hall to find out what was going on. Her reply, "not today." HUH??? She didn't realized Chelsea's infection was in her line, so they couldn't do oral antibiotics, she needed to finish her antibiotics through IV. She'll be done with this last antibiotic on Monday. Her counts will have a chance to recover more too. So, fingers crossed for Monday!!!

4 comments:

Amy Flege said...

aww man that stinks!!! hopefully she will be home soon.. hope you are feeling better too!

Anonymous said...

Is she having fevers? I'm blown away at how flexible the hospital is when her counts are down. Great when you want to go home, but the risk is dangerous when there is bacterial infections involved. I hope her ANC will start to shoot-up so hopefully her infection will clear. how many more rounds left now? three? just curious. It sounds like things are going well! despite your home-sickness :( .

Jamy Dunbar, Head Coach said...

Thanks for letting us have Logan the other day. We needed a Logan fix. I am glad you are at least home. I just know Chels will be following soon. HAve a restful couple of days.

Miss you!

E Jill Riley said...

My name is Jill and I have a daughter who was diagnosed with ALL at 2 and 1/2. Hang in there! Our thoughts and prayers are with you. There is light at the end of the tunnel. My Brittany is now a healthy 8 years old. God be with you.

www.ejillriley.blogspot.com