Sunday, November 25, 2007

Well I was right on the platelets. They were down to 8 on Saturday! The entire city is having a platelet shortage though, so we didn't get any until noon. By that time she was probably down to zero. I didn't let her out of the room all morning for fear she would fall or bump her head or something. They told us in rounds it would probably be a good idea to get her a helmet, so the PT will come and fit her for one tomorrow. She won't need it for all the time, it will just be good to have when her platelets are super low because she's such a wild one.

She's feeling better each day I think. We're slowly weaning her off the pain meds and she's eating...well...off and on. Until dinner she had only eating dairy products today, yogurt, yogurt smoothies, cheese. It was strange. This is the third night in a row she's drank enough to pass up the fluids at night! She actually slept in her crib all night last night. It was the best (for what it's worth) night of sleep I've had in a week, but I woke up feeling worse this morning, like I was hungover.

They added another antibiotic and are still waiting to learn more about this infection from the Mayo Hospital. She's now on 3 IV antibiotics and the doctors said today that they wouldn't send her home on that many. If it were just one, then maybe, but definately not with three. It's technically not time for her to go home anyways, her ANC is still 0, I am just always asking ahead...'what if???' Of course they always answer with, "we don't know." I'd say we aren't going home anytime soon. Maybe towards the end of the week if we're lucky. That would be nice. Her third round of chemo is supposed to begin on Friday, but we may still have an ANC of 0, and she needs an ANC of 1000 before chemo can start again, so we're quite a ways off track at this point!

Chelsea's hair is falling out like crazy. I bought a pet hair roller at Wal Mart and I've been constantly rolling her blankets, her bed, our shirts. It's a mess. I get it all cleaned up and I turn around and her shirt is covered again or she's just pulled a handful out! I can definately see a lot more scalp on the top of her head than just a couple of days ago. It may be easier to just shave it now instead of dealing with all the shedding, but I just don't think I can do it!!! There is someone that comes and cuts or shaves hair for the patients up here, so I may just have him trim her hair shorter so it's not so messy as it falls out. I just don't see the need to shave it yet when others who don't know she's sick would even notice. They would likely just think she has super thin hair. So my next task is to find the most unique and adorable hats for her little head. We've had some snow this last week, so she'll need something to keep that little head warm. If you know a good place to find the best ... most unique ... cutests hats, please post me a link, you know we only want the best for little miss Chels!

12 comments:

Jen said...

I know the answer to this one! HANNA ANDERSSON. They have the cutest most adorable hats (and clothes I might add). I have to admit that I am addicted to the point that almost every piece of Maeve's wardorbe is pretty much a "hanna." The material is an organic cotton that is simply the softest. Here is a link: http://www.hannaandersson.com/

You can look at "hats and mittens" under baby or girls.

If I find any other adorable hats, I will let you know.

Jamy Dunbar, Head Coach said...

Hey Carey,

I just did some research on hats and found several sites for you. I agree with the other post, the stuff at Hanna Andersson was cute. I also discovered a few others.

Here you go:

www.komfykids.com this site has a doll that you can get with a matching hat.

www.heavenlyhats.com It is a non-profit that you can request a hat package. I think they are free!

www.cottontail-heirloomquilts.com Look at the bonnets for babes link on the left hand side of the screen. They say that they supply for Children's Mercy so you might check with the nurses.

www.4women.com They had some cute scarves

www.bevscountrycottage.com/cancerpas.html I thought you might like this one as it has several types of patterns crochet, knitting and sewing for making your own caps.

www.thebeaubeau.com

I just did a quick google search using "hats for children with cancer" as the search. I came up with lots of stuff.

You might check with the hospital because I got the sense that several of the sites donated hats to hospitals to pass out to children with cancer. I bet Children's Mercy has something along those lines.

I will keep my eye out and see if I can see any others. I am heading home tomorrow so will call you probably tomorrow night after the kiddos go to bed.

Give Chelsea a squeeze for us!

Jamy Dunbar, Head Coach said...

Hey Carey,

I just did some research on hats and found several sites for you. I agree with the other post, the stuff at Hanna Andersson was cute. I also discovered a few others.

Here you go:

www.komfykids.com this site has a doll that you can get with a matching hat.

www.heavenlyhats.com It is a non-profit that you can request a hat package. I think they are free!

www.cottontail-heirloomquilts.com Look at the bonnets for babes link on the left hand side of the screen. They say that they supply for Children's Mercy so you might check with the nurses.

www.4women.com They had some cute scarves

www.bevscountrycottage.com/cancerpas.html I thought you might like this one as it has several types of patterns crochet, knitting and sewing for making your own caps.

www.thebeaubeau.com

I just did a quick google search using "hats for children with cancer" as the search. I came up with lots of stuff.

You might check with the hospital because I got the sense that several of the sites donated hats to hospitals to pass out to children with cancer. I bet Children's Mercy has something along those lines.

I will keep my eye out and see if I can see any others. I am heading home tomorrow so will call you probably tomorrow night after the kiddos go to bed.

Give Chelsea a squeeze for us!

Jen said...

Okay, I know you have a ton of links now but I had to give you just two more. They are from etsy.com (made by moms). Some of these are darling!

http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=96642

http://www.etsy.com/view_listing.php?listing_id=7819814

Have fun hat shopping!

Amy Flege said...

hey girl! i finally got to hop on here for update!! we are in rochester right now at mayo.. i will have them get on chelseas bacteria thing...pronto! haha
so glad to hear she is eating and starting to feel better. sorry about her hair falling out. she will look cute no matter what!!!
hugs to you'
love ya!

Michelle said...

Hi Carey! Praying you receive answers soon on the infection. I'm not a big help on hats as I have 2 boys that even refuse to wear baseball caps most of the time. Girls look adorable in hats! Chelsea will for sure. We said prayers for Chelsea and the whole family over the weekend. It's hard to imagine you have been on this journey for 2 months. We will continue to walk the journey with you until Chelsea is cancer free.

Lots of love!

Anonymous said...

Hi Carey, I'm glad to hear you had a special T-day with your family.

Chelsea is a strong little girl and she continues to surprise us all with her bravery and kind hearted spirit. Hair or no hair she will continue to put a sparkle in my eye as she is beautiful regardless. If Noah had any hair to shave, I know he would want to join Chelsea in the head shaving party. As he is truly adores her. Please let me know if there is anything we can do to help in anyway. Praying continues . Hugs & Kisses Terry

Anonymous said...

http://www.bippityboppitybaby.com/hats.htm really cute hats

Anonymous said...

Hi I came across your blog while researching leukemia. Your little girl reminds me so much of mine!! my Cameron(2) has light blond hair and she started treatment for ALL in June. As her hair started thinning, I would use the small goodie barrettes and pull it all up into a little pony tail - it really worked for a long time. Finally I cut the little pont tail off right after Halloween.

I found head bands in the wall-mart baby section that are nylon headbands that have the cutest bows! I get complements all the time on her hair? of which she has none. They have a whole bunch out for Christmas right now and they're reaaly cheep at three for 2.96. Hope it helps, I KNOW what you are going through and I so enjoy your blog.

Nancy in NJ

Anonymous said...

Glad to hear Chelsea's feeling better! I hope they can give you some answers on the infection soon, too. I'm sure you'll find some cute hats, but she will definitely be adorable no matter what.

Praying things get better soon!

Anonymous said...

Carey,
Melissa has forwarded your blog to me and it has been a huge inspiration to me. Everytime I feel like complaining about my life or my very rambunctious little girl, I read your blog and remind myself how fortunate I am. Actually, Madeleine reminds me alot of Chelsea-same blond hair and big eyes. Anyway, after reading that Chelsea needs some hats, I decided to make her one. I love to knit and hats take me no time at all. So I will get your address from Melissa and send it to you hopefully before Christmas. You, Chelsea, Ryan, and Logan are in my thoughts and prayers often. Hope Chelsea's numbers come up soon. Hang in there.
Michelle Erps

Angel Gabi's Mommy said...

I just checked another site and they don't have a lot, but there are a few really cute ones.

www.thepolkadotplatypus.com

I have been searching high and low and about the only thing I can find in Indy are stocking cap, so are really cute, but I have trying to help find variety!

Take care!
We miss you all,
Micah