Wednesday, November 14, 2007

One Wish

You know what they say, no news is good news. There's really not a lot going on with Chelsea, but I thought you might find my overly emotional day interesting if not humorous. No, I'm not pregnant, just emotional. It could be because I can't harp on Ryan like I normally do, so it just builds up on me...sorry hon, but he'd probably agree!

We headed to the playroom bright and early this morning to visit with some friends and get into some mischief. There is a volunteer who mans the playroom every week day, Granny. She's not overly friendly and has been known to tell kids 'no' a time or two. Today Chelsea climbed onto the bottom shelf of a light weight Barbie house (she loves to climb into and hide into small spaces) while she's awaiting everyone to notice how cute she was, Granny heads over to her, "oh no no no, you can't do that," and she picks her up pulls her out and brings her to me. Then they tell me how dangerous that could be, a child died recently you know b/c a piece of furniture fell on him (wasn't it a dresser?). Just so you know, the Barbie house weighs a whopping 3 pounds max and if by chance it did fall, it wouldn't even leave a bruise (she got platelets yesterday)!!! So I wasn't being a neglectful mother. So next Chelsea starts playing with the kitchen set and Granny immediately comes over and says, "don't let her play with the food in here, b/c I just wiped it all down and she always puts it in her mouth." Well duh she puts it in her mouth, she's 1!!!! And part of having a one year old is you have to wipe toys down all the time. From my point of view, yes toys have germs, but we just keep them clean, she needs to mouth toys, it's great for her learning as long as they're not a choking hazard. So I reply, "come on Chelsea, evidently there's nothing in here that you can play with," and we returned to our room. We didn't go to the playroom for the rest of the day and we intend to stay away during the day from now on when that volunteer is there. That's the last straw for me.

Chels didn't go to sleep until 11pm so we were both very tired and I thought I'd try to take a nap with her this afternoon. She went down easily and I turned on our music and laid down. Well we've got some crazy heating / cooling issues in our room (it's either blasting cold air or hot air constantly), so it took me a while to fall asleep. Sure enough as soon as I fell asleep here comes Granny over the intercom, "movie and game check out in the playroom." And she talks soooo darned loud! The intercom runs through all of the rooms, so Chelsea sits straight up, as do I, then thankfully lays back down, but I'm up and I've got a migraine at this point. You can imagine I'm fuming, but decide to take a couple of pills for my headache and attempt sleep again. What do you know but as soon as I fall back asleep, I learn that Cindy has a phone call on line 6. Why the heck do I care???? This time Chelsea was really freaked out and started crying, so I decided to take up this intercom crap with the front desk. Of course they said there was nothing they could do, and they can't turn off the intercom in just one room. I asked them if they could please try to be respectful of the afternoon hours when many children are trying to nap and they reminded me of their quiet time of 3-4pm. I asked her if she thought that was realistic for kids to take naps that late in the day, and she agreed it wasn't. They suggested taping a towel to the wall over the intercom, so my nurse came in and did that. It had fallen off the wall by the time Chelsea awoke. Maybe we need to super glue it tomorrow.

This afternoon wasn't quite as bad, Chelsea only drank 4 ounces all day so after nap the nurse hooked her up to fluids and we were back to chasing her around with the pole. I did however teach her how to sit on the base of the pole while I pushed and she got a kick out of that and we cruised the halls for a while. I decided to blow off some steam by taking a walk around the hospital. I was on guard I'll admit because quite frankly the hospital is in the middle of the "hood". In fact when getting directions here from our ped. he warned about missing our exit. If you miss it by just one exit you'll end up in the worst parts of KC! Hmmm, great place for a children's hospital right? Well, I wasn't mugged, and I did feel refreshed after my walk, so I will complain no more.

Tonight Ryan called me on his way home to tell me that Logan met with the counselor at school today. I didn't get a lot of details about his conversation, but he did tell me that the counselor asked him at the end, "if there was one wish you could have, what would it be?" Logan answered, "that my mommy would come home." I couldn't talk for a few minutes because I was just bawling. I can hardly type his response because it just tears my heart up to think about it. I miss him so much and I hate that he's so affected by this. He's really looking forward to visiting though and he told me tonight, he misses Chelsea and he loves her so much. He's quite mature for being only four years old. I can't wait to hold him on Friday!

Chelsea fought sleep tonight, but she was so exhausted she was fussing and wouldn't play. I caught the maintenance guys on our floor a minute ago and asked them to look at our thermostat. I've been trying to get a work order in for four days now with no luck, so hopefully they're peeking at it now.

We'll draw labs in the morning. Chels had platelets yesterday morning, so I don't anticipate any transfusions. I'm guessing her ANC will be bottomed out though. Will update when I have details!
Carey

11 comments:

SunflowerStories said...

I haven't left a comment in awhile, but I am still reading and keeping you in my thoughts. Sorry you had a crummy day. You are doing a wonderful job handling so much difficulty. I'm sure Logan feels your love every minute you are gone.

Oh, and it sounds like Granny needs to be transferred to the library!

Jamy Dunbar, Head Coach said...

I can't imagine being stuck in the hospital for so long trying to entertain a 1 year old. That is just a special sort of torture isn't it?!!

Logan, Logan, Logan. That boy just has a way doesn't he. I am sure he misses you and Chelsea. You are doing all you can do though. Don't forget that. I think he is a reflection of what a strong family you all are.

Abby told me the other day that Logan and her will wait to get married until Chelsea is better so that Chelsea can be at the wedding. Don't know about you but the fact that the kiddos are now planning the wedding is a bit scary to me!!

Call if you need anything!

Give that girl a hug for me.

Michelle said...

Carey - your post on Logan made me cry too! He's a gerat big brother and has tough as this is on him, he will shine through. I love reading your updates and the Granny story made me smile. Wishing we were there to walk with you in the hood for relaxation and give you hugs when you need them.

Praying Chelsea continues to do well and is able to go home soon.

Michelle - Matthew's Mom

Me said...

Carey, I think about you and Chelsea all the time. I'm sorry you're having such a hard time lately. I think I would be complaining a bit about Granny. She shouldn't be working on the children's oncology ward if she doesn't have a friendlier attitude. It's not fair that you feel you have to keep Chelsea from the playroom because of her. And Logan, the poor guy, he's going through so much at such a young age. I hope you guys have a good visit this weekend.

Anonymous said...

Wow! an intercom system! I can imagine how annoying that would be, I was grumpy from the nurses being loud at 11pm at night, ugh! I had a cranky old woman on our floor too, she brought me to tears a couple times, (she called Will annoying!) I spoke to the head nurse about her, that helped alittle, It's very upsetting to be stressed out with the situation your in and it's even more upsetting (to say the least) when there is someone that works on the oncology floor who isn't sensitive nor supportive, but just seems to aggitate! Sorry, now I'm going off, having flash backs! Don't worry, soon it will be done and you won't have to see "granny" anymore! sorry your having such a crappy time at it, hey, this sounds weird, but would an egg carton help muffle the sound, if you put that over the intercom? I hope your next week is better!

The Bryant Family said...

I had to shake my head in agreement about the intercom in Childrens Mercy. It is loud and they use it at the most inappropriate times. My heart goes out to you and your family. Hospital stays are so very hard. Tucker always liked taking rides in the wagon. It is difficult to keep them entertained. If you need anything, company or toys for her to play with...we have a few(yeah right we have a room full of toys and then some) things that we could bring down for you to use... I live close and would love to help.

Mommy to those Special Ks said...

Just catching up on Miss Chelsea! Man that intercom thing sounds REALLY annoying! Our hospital had one but it was in the hallway, not in the rooms. Thank God! Oh and we had a "Granny" too LOL, she didn't work in the playroom though, she worked at the front desk and decided who got to come in and who didn't. We called her the 6A natzi. LOL

I seriously laughed out loud about the tongue! TOOO funny! Kennedy is the same way with her tongue lol.

I'm glad Logan is talking to the school counsellor, ours REALLY helped Kassidy and Kameron. It was good for them to be able to get their thoughts out to someone besides mom, dad and grandma. It's so hard for the siblings, they're worried about their sister, missing mom like crazy and even though they know she's sick, it's hard for them to REALLY understand. Cancer truly affects the whole family. It sucks!

OK now that I've rambled on and on I am off to snuggle with Kennedy who just woke up.

Hang in there, you guys are doing just GREAT! :) We pray for Chelsea every day!

Renee & Kennedy
www.carepages.com
site name: KennedyGarcia

Lisa said...

HUGS Carey...wish we lived closer and Cori could come entertain Chelsea for awhile and you could get some rest. UGH about the intercom and the grouchy granny. You are always in our thoughts and prayers!

Lisa, Cori and Jamie

Angel The Alien said...

That Granny lady sounds like a
BEE-YATCH! What are the toys there for if kids can only play with them in certain, Granny-approved ways? One unfortunate thing I've noticed though is that certain volunteers who have volunteered in a place for a long time, and volunteer often, end up thinking they RUN the place!

Shannon @ Gabi's World said...

Even volunteers have bosses. I'd check into hers for sure. They are supposed to encourage all children to play. The email address for Stacey Koenig (director of the childlife department and Volunteers) is skoenig@cmh.edu (Sorry, but I felt for you and thought maybe you needed to at least make some recommendations to her.)

Also, contact Linda Taloney ltaloney@cmh.edu she is a patient advocate in that hospital. Maybe she can help out regarding the noicy speaker issues.

There was an area in our hospital that used to use speakers in the rooms, and enough people complained and they got rid of them. I think they are very insensitive personally. It's hard enough to get any rest at night in a hospital, let alone to make it impossible to nap during the day. That area uses a pager system now for the nurses and PCA's. And activities can be posted and child life volunteers should visit each room daily, as long as the patient isn't sleeping, to encourage play and activities. That's how it was done whenever any of my kids were hospitalized in the past.

I feel for you, and I think you have every right to be upset about these things.

Jacquie said...

Sounds as if "Granny" is volunteering in the wrong area! And a 1 year old who puts toys in their mouth? Imagine that? Granny sounds like she needs to just stay home and volunteer thier.