Tuesday, October 02, 2007

Speechless

Before I update on Chelsea's chemo treatment today, I have to brag. She is definitely using the "m" sound, something we've been working on for months. She's definitely using "maba" as a word for me now, and it wasn't just a fluke. I've seen her verbal language just blossom since we've been here at the hospital and it's the one happy thing I have while we're stuck here. She's been saying I Love you when she hugs you (it's sounds like "ah la lu" but it's always at the appropriate time and usually comes with a hug or kiss, so I know that's what she's saying. She also started trying to say milk tonight. She kept pointing to her milk and saying "muh". I was so excited I was speechless!

Chelsea has really done well today. It's as if the chemo is working and she feels better b/c her cancer is going away, but the chemo doesn't even make her sick or effect her at all. Her blasts (abnormal, immature white blood cells *cancer*) were down from 22% on Thursday to 3% today!!! There's a good chance that most of the cancer will be gone from her body after this first round, but unfortunately there's still some lingering undetected, so we will of course have to continue the chemotherapy regimen until the end. She ate so well today she was almost back to her old self. Not quite the quantity she used to eat, but I was thrilled to see all the food thrown about the floor when she was finished. That's my girl!

I saw just a couple of pimple looking things on her bottom today and asked the nurse about some Desitin and she said we could talk to the doctor when they come on rounds. I didn't really think anything of it, but they like to treat any little sign of diaper rash quickly b/c with the drugs she's on it can turn into something nasty pretty quickly. She also has some of the pimples on her face that we're watching it all very closely. It's likely a side effect of the chemo.

When the doctors did their rounds this morning they thought that Chelsea's chest looked okay where they have the IV line running but this afternoon I noticed it looked goopy, red and swollen. I even noticed it was warm to the touch. I told the nurse she shouldn't have trained me so well, now I'll be letting her know every time I notice anything out of the ordinary. She agreed that it looked bad and called the resident doctor whom had to talk to the attending...(do you see where this is going, ay yi yie!) Finally the attending made the decision to change the dressing again, do another culture (the cultures from 2 nights ago were still negative) and then she wanted to start a new antibiotic. So her dressing looks so much better tonight and I think we've got it all taken care of. Her nurse today is a great nurse, and she does the best job cleaning and dressing it.

Logan is coming to visit tomorrow with my mom. I think he's going to have a little talk about sissy with the child life coordinator. Ryan said he's having a really hard time with the situation and has been following his dad around the house for the last two days. They're sleeping together, so there's a habit that will be hard to break! I miss my baby boy though. The thought of being away from him all this time just breaks my heart, I'm so torn about what will be the best thing for him during this period. It's possible that he may be able to attend my MIL's preschool for both the am and pm sessions. The benefits: it's free, it's all day, it's consistent and it's with grandma. The drawbacks: he would have to be pulled from his new preschool (it would make for transition #3 this year), he would be exposed to a lot more "germs" and probably get sick more this winter, it would be a really long day for a very active 4 year old who's probably not cognitively prepared to be in school all day, and lastly, his selfish mommy isn't ready to send her baby to school all day. I know when I'm home between treatments with Chelsea I'll want to spend as much time with Logan as possible and that will be hard if he has to go to school. Really our only other option though is to shuffle him between grandparents and uncle Davy during the time I'm away from home. I never know where he is going to be the next day. I suppose the perfect situation would be to keep him at his preschool on T/Th morning and find a daycare that could take him on a very flexible schedule. It would be a consistent babysitter, but one that would be flexible and let me keep him at home when I'm home from Chelsea's treatments. To all my readers, will you please do me a favor and give me your ideas. What can we do with Logan to keep him in a stable environment throughout such an unstable period in our family's life?

13 comments:

Pam said...

Hee Hee Hee....funny that we were posting about speech milestones at the same time!!!! Right as I posted on T21 I hop over here and see your new post!!

Is Chelsea coming over in the middle of the night and talking to Rhett???? Better keep an eye on her.

I emailed you today about this situation with Logan. I think preschool is healthy for him, but I do still say take off his clothes from school and put clean ones on him before him and Chelsea play toghther.

It's so hard to balance everything, and try to make everything as normal as you can for Logan. Just know that kids adjust fairly easily, my kids have, and know that you are in my thoughts and prayers all the time.

HUGS!!!!

Amy Flege said...

carey, i think consistency is going to be key for logan. i dont know what the answer is but i kind of like your last option you mentioned.
i am thrilled to hear how well chelsea is doing!!!!!! yean on the talking and woo hoo on killing that damn cancer!!!! call me when you have time ok????????

Anonymous said...

Carey,

I agree with everything you have said about Logan. Dad and I are very close to your home and he likes it here with us. At least that is what he says. Dad is willing to pick him up from where ever he is until Ryan can come and get him. The weekends he could visit other people, but he has his own bed here and he slept very well. Grandpa and him ate breakfast every day and talked about any thing and everything. I think consistancy is important, so think about it and know that we are here for all of you. He ate very well and played and was very happy. We always read Mommy's blog and look for pictures of Sissy. Cassie can even be used to pick him up after school and bring him home until either your father or I get home. So think about it and let us know what you both think.

Nora

Anonymous said...

Carey, in this situation no decision will be the perfect one. However, you are looking at all the factors (positive and negative) and that will help you to make the decision that will work best for you, your family, and most of all for Logan. I agree that one of the most important things for Logan right now is probably consistency! If it's any help at all...Alyus (when he was 4) faired very well in an all day program, in fact it was a great "head start" for kindergarten. Although difficult for you, Logan might surprise you at his ability to thrive in that setting. You are a wonderful mommy with a wonderful family supporting you, I'm sure you will make a decision that will work for your little guy!
So glad to hear about Chelsea's progress, and I love the pictures! Can't wait to see you both, Leah

Anonymous said...

I have been following your blog and your beautiful baby girl. As a teacher and former daycare owner, I felt compelled to give you a thought. I would not suggest a daycare setting as you would not have any control over who Logan was around on a daily basis. There is the possibility that Logan would be around alot more exposure to illness with children who go to daycare. You have to think about all of the kids but also everyone else they are around. You would really have to be careful of what germs he may bring home. Of course, all daycares are not "germ ridden" but this is a situation when you have the right to be protective. I know you want to give them as much time together as possible. I have seen children thrive at his age in all-day programs or I would set up a set schedule with family. It really sounds like you have a great support system and everyone wants the best for all of you. Even though we do not know you, our family will be praying for all of you-especially your beautiful sweetheart. M. Paul dmtopaul@aol.com

Anonymous said...

Astragalus is an herb that is great for the immune system. My niece gets pneumonia every winter but with this she hardly gets a cold. Zinc, vitamin C, ect are also great for the immune system. It wouldn't hurt for you to take all of them while Chelsea is in there so you don't get sick.

Good luck.

Anonymous said...

Carey, I know this is a big deal for you guys. I was just trying to help when I suggested it. Yes, he would be around other kids but he would be beside me at all times. I think you know how we feel about Logan. He has a bedroom here and is, and always has been comfortable here. We don't want to cause more stress in your life. If you think he would be happier in another situtation that is fine. We just want Logan to be secure. This has affected all of those who love you guys, and we just want to help. I feel like I did something bad by suggesting it, it was just an option. Grandma Colgrove

Stephanie said...

I hate that you have to make these decisions and it makes me so sad that your son is having a hard time (I will keep him in my prayers as well). But I think the most stable thing for him would be to go full day with his grandma. JMO.

I am so proud of Chelsea and her words...how awesome, she is such a trooper and is an amazing little girl...she will touch so many lives at that hospital.

Chelsea, keep up the good work on the blasts...3% is awesome, can't wait till it is all clear and you are in remission!!!!!

PRAYERS for you and your family everyday, good luck with all your shuffling you have to do during this time in your life...it is difficult now but will make you and your family stronger in the long run!

Anonymous said...

Carey -
What wonderful news today. It sounds as if the prayers are working. How wonderful to hear mama! I can't wait for Olivia to say mama to me.
--Krisitne

The Bryant Family said...

I just got hooked up with your site. How wonderful that Chelsea is doing so great. AND WORDS to boot!!!
I am sorry about the long hospital stays, I know how you are feeling. We were in hospital for the first 4 months of my sons life, heart defects. I knew more than I wanted to on how things worked and pointing out every little thing I thought was different or they were missing-they being the nurses and doctors. You are doing the right thing though, you are her words and her advocate! There were many of times I had to get nasty to be heard.
My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.

Carey said...

Hi, i was sent here from raising joey blog. Thought I would pop on over and say hi, and that i am praying for your family.
By the way...we have the same name..spelled the same way...ive never met anyone who has spelled there name the same as i do...pretty cool!

Michelle said...

Carey - I posted at 230 this morning but I dont' think I saved it write...oh well, I'll try to retype what I wrote earlier.

First, Way to go on the talking!! Chelsea - you impress us every day. I loved to hear the blasts were low which means we are one day closer to the celebration party!!

For Logan - this is a toughy. I can't imagine how hard the entire situation is for all of you including the worry of Logan. Sounds like you have great family in the area which is a true blessing. I agree with others that consistency is the key. I don't think fulltime preschool is too much - my opinion only. Nate is in all day preschool and LOVES it. Every morning he asks about his friends and always tells us about his day when we pick him up. He is learning leaps and bounds and having fun. The downside is the germs. A huge consideration although I would think he would be exposed to germs in general and at his other preschool too. It's a tough decision but in the end you will make the best one like you always do.

Sending lots of hugs today. Matthew sends kisses to Chelsea.

Love to all.

Anonymous said...

Hospital time...
Did I mention Kennedy goes to sleep around 2am and sleeps till noon? Yes hospital time is fun! LOL We've learned to be on Kennedy's schedule over the last 6 months and now we ALL need to be retrained! HA! It's going to be a chore!! The night nurses loved it though because they got someone to play with :o).

Logan - I was just reading the comments, and I agree that consistency is the key. I think the preschool is a good idea. Not only will it be consistent but he'll have family there who is aware what is going on and can cater to his emotional needs as well. My older kids' teachers have been wonderful about this. Also, when you are home for the week, just keep Logan with you, even if it's just for a day or 2. He'll enjoy the break and you will have time with him. I wouldn't keep him home the whole time though, you need to catch up on sleep and get things done! I know I always did!My kids have been living with my mom while we are inpatient and she has made sure to keep them on their schedule. The less bouncing the better!

Diaper rash - ask them to make you some Happy Hiney! That stuff is like gold, I tell ya! It clears up EVERYTHING! If they don't know what I'm talking about let me know and I'll ask our nurses for the ingredients!

Talking - YAY Chelsea on the words! Kennedy has exploded developementally while in the hospital. She started walking here and her vocabulary has increased tons!! Nothing can keep our girls down! :o)

Continuing to pray!!
Renee & Kennedy
www.carepages.com
Site name: KennedyGarcia