Clearly we didn't get out of here today. Early this morning the nurse came in and told us that the doctor had already ordered labs for tomorrow, so she didn't think we were going home. She was right. They told me when they came on rounds that we can't go home until her ANC shows some number other than zero. While everything else is rising nicely, platelets, hemoglobin, monocyte, her ANC is still zero. Once it shows a number they will be confident it will continue rising an she can go home safely. Right now though she still has zero defenses against any bacterial infections and it would be unsafe for her to leave the hospital. So....all of our prayers tonight are for some segs and bands to show up on her labs in the morning ... those segs and bands are part of the formula that give her ANC a number, I know it's extremely confusing, but I don't make the rules!
We had a rough night last night. Chelsea was up every hour after 1am. I thought it would be a good night since she was asleep by 10:00, but she just kept waking up crying. A couple of times it was just on her own and then a couple of times I just think she was awoken when the nurse was trying to change her or draw labs. Then this afternoon she was extremely tired. I got her to sleep and rocked her for a while, then laid her in the crib and dashed to the bathroom. I was hoping to run down to the cafeteria and grab some lunch before they closed at 2:00. As soon as I sat down to pee, I heard a man's voice, "knock knock, is your mom here?" I hurried out, but by that time he was gone...and Chelsea was awake! I was fuming...I'm telling you, this was not the day to get on my bad side! At this point in the day, I was disappointed we weren't leaving, I was homesick, hungry, tired, and may I mention had the PMS bug...and here some man walks into our room and wakes my sleeping baby!!! So I marched out into the hallway in search of this mystery man, I wanted to know what was so important he couldn't wait. Turns out he was just some delivery guy from the home health department delivering our supplies for our discharge. Luckily for him he was gone and didn't have to endure the wrath of Carey. We spent the rest of the day trying to stay cheerful, but Chelsea and I both were rather grumpy. By 4:00 she wasn't playing and mostly just crying because she was tired, so I tried to lay down with her in my bed. She of course wasn't having it, so out of desperation I asked the nurse for some relief so I could close my eyes for a while. She gladly took her up to the nurses station and I got some shut eye. It was exactly what I needed! By the time I woke up it was dinner time, some volunteers had made a home cooked meal for the parents and it was delicious! So the day ended on a little happier note! Now my angel sleeps peacefully in her bed....she is OUT! I flushed her lines tonight (all by myself) and she didn't even move a muscle. I've had to practice doing some of her care the past couple of days so I will feel comfortable when we get home. Yesterday I even did my first dressing change! A little traumatizing, but I did it! And if I must say so myself, it looks pretty darn good!
Hello world!
3 years ago
14 comments:
Hang in there you are so close to getting out of the hospital you can taste it. Keep your spirits up by knowing you have wonderful support around you. You and chelsea are very lucky in that respect.
Praying for you release,
Love Dad
I'm sorry you don't get to go home yet, but it sounds like it will be soon.
I'm glad she's sleeping and that you got some practice in.
Darn it! I bet you are disappointed. Home is near though, which is probably what makes waiting so much harder. I am glad you got a little rest and hopefully you had a pretty good night.
We will be praying for good numbers!
Ugh! I hope tomorrow is the day you get to go home. I am glad you are getting some practice before you leave though.
Best,
Kristine
Continue to pray Chelsea's ANC numbers go up and is given the green light to sleep in her own bed and the family can get some well deserved shut eye.
I'm sorry things are not progressing as you had hoped. Please give Chelsea a hug and kiss from The Wanta's. Noah sends lots of tickles as well.
WOW! What an amazing person you are! As always, prayers for Chelsea's recovery. Also, in the midst of all of this, I certainly hope that you don't lose sight of what a strong, inspirational, and truly remarkable mommy you are. I can barely survive the mere thought of having to endure what your family has to, and yet, here you are living it every minute of everyday. Truly inspirational!
oops, hit enter too quick.
Angie^^^^^
(quote)I heard a man's voice, "knock knock, is your mom here?"(quote)
OMG, can I open a can of whoopa$$ for you? You rebounded much better than I would of! I'm glad your day ended better & hope C got some good zzz's last night.
Carey,
Hang on, you are almost home. I recommend that you put a sign on the door do not disturb. How about playing some music in the background, no words and that can mask the noises around you all.
Sorry she wasn't able to go home yet, but it's probably better than getting home and she ends up catching something. Hope you all get better sleep tonight.
Praying for your speedy journey home!
Praying today brings good news about going home soon. I hope Chelsea is resting more comfortably as well. We just called the prayer pager...this time following the instructions more carefully:)
Can't wait to see pictures of the homecoming. It will happen soon!
Lots of love,
Michelle - Matthew's Mom
She probably enjoyed hanging out at the nurse's station and getting all sorts of extra attention, huh! Soon she'll be sleeping much easier, in her OWN bed!
Those darn neutrophils! They can be very stubborn! I don't know if this will help, but we made Kennedy a "Kennedy's Sleeping" sign (to get the point across we took a picture of her sleeping and put the caption "SHHHHHH Kennedy's SLEEPING!" over it) and whenever she was asleep we would tape it to her door. It helped sometimes but with a delivery guy it probably wouldn't have made a difference. *sigh* I'm glad the nurses there were willing to take her. Kennedy LOVES her nurses at Vandy. She is so spoiled! LOL
Congrats on flushing the line and changing the dressing! I was a nervous wreck the first few times but it didn't take long before it was second nature. Be sure to check and double check your home health supplies. After round one they brought us the wrong stuff FOUR times. GRRRRR Just be sure you have everything you need!
Praying you are home SOON!!!!
Renee & Kennedy
Post a Comment