Wednesday, October 31, 2007

Down Syndrome Awareness Month

October is Down Syndrome Awareness Month...did you know that? Well, inspired by some of my friends I wanted to share 21 things I LOVE about Chelsea before the end of the month. 21 being the magic number because it is the 21st chromosome that is tripled in Chelsea's genetic make up. I feel so lucky to have her, you know you can't special order these kids, it's like we just won the lottery, she's such a blessing, and here's why!

1. I LOVE her slobbery kisses. Lately she only kisses while wiggling her tongue.
2. I LOVE when she pats me on the back while she hugs me.
3. I LOVE the way she bobs her head and bounces when she dances (she's also added a little foot stamp to her dance here lately).
4. I LOVE the big gap between her big toe and the second toe, putting that pulse ox monitor on her toe is a breeze!
5. I LOVE the way she's always been able to smile at me with her enormous blueberry eyes, even before she could smile.
6. I LOVE when she says my name; Maba!
7. I LOVE the way she forgives me without a second thought when I'm cranky.
8. I LOVE her persistence to do ANYTHING she puts her mind to (well before they said she would ... roll over, sit up, crawl, walk, climb, use sign language...).
9. I LOVE the way she sleeps in her bed at night, mouth open, snoring, arms out to the sides, legs bent an open like a frog.
10. I LOVE rocking her to sleep, sometimes I just can't bring myself to put her in bed, I just have to hold her a little bit longer.
11. I LOVE her empathy. When someone is upset, hurt, or in trouble, she can sense it and she immediately reaches out to give "lovies".
12. I LOVE to squeeze her buns!!! They are by far the fairest of them all!
13. I LOVE when she waves and smiles at EVERYONE. It's hard to have a bad day when you're in Miss Chelsea's presence.
14. I LOVE her contagious laughter, she has the sweetest giggles.
15. I LOVE to watch her steal the purses of any visitors that come to see us. She loves toting around bags and it's pretty smart of her!
16. I LOVE how she reaches her arms out for me to pick her up. She loves to be held. 17. I LOVE that she uses her hands to talk. She's brilliant with over 40 words in her sign language vocabulary!
18. I LOVE singing with her! Some of her favorites, If You're Happy and You Know It, The Itsy Bitsy Spider, and You are My Sunshine.
19. I LOVE her silky, golden, fine hair. Absolutely gorgeous.
20. I LOVE that crazy tongue! In, out, ... we don't really care anymore, it's so darned cute!
21. I LOVE her ability to bring people closer together. She creates a bond between persons you would have never imagined even talking to one another. We have made so many phenomenal friends since her birth!

I could go on and on. Want to add something you love about a child w/ T21 to my list? Leave a comment!

5 comments:

Amy Flege said...

i love everything about her!! thanks for sharing those great things!!!! good luck friday!

Anonymous said...

I LOVE the happy feeling I get when I look into her eyes!! And of course, my absolute favorite is her wonderful hug.....Grandma C.

Anonymous said...

While I have not met Miss Chelsea in person, I can easily see through your blog and her pictures..that she is the most adorable child...ever!! I so look
forward to your daily updates. When she smiles her whole face lights up!!
Good luck Friday.
Love and prayers
Aunt Kathy

Anonymous said...

Hey, I'm posting this on my Myspace crediting you. I love it!!

The Bryant Family said...

I have been following you and your family for a few months now. It is amazing how many things you love about your daughter, are alot of the same things I love about my son.