Isn't it sad I've already lost track of time, I guess because it doesn't really matter. All that matters right now is getting Chelsea better and I don't really care how long it takes. Well we had a bit of a misunderstanding today and apparently when your child is diagnosed with cancer on a Friday, you don't get the official sit down with the team that will be treating her. To make a long story short, we were told that would happen today, but the doctors felt they did that on Friday. All we heard on Friday is, she's got AML, but we'll find out what subcategory it is on Monday and then make a road map from there. Then they spent an hour talking about a study we could participate in for her chemotherapy treatment. Everyone was confused today and figured we had already had that "your child has cancer" talk, and the doctor who's "on" this week even argued with us about it. Oh and did I mention that exceptional doctor that we were so excited to have because he is "the main man" in regards to AML and DS...well he's not our doctor. I guess Ryan, Grandma Carolyn, Micah, Jason, and I all MISUNDERSTOOD the two doctors last week when they said "Dr. Gammis will be your primary oncologist." Hmmm isn't that weird. We're extremely frustrated to say the least and I have calmed down enough now that I'll call the patient advocate in the morning. I'm sure there's nothing they can do about it b/c everyone has reassured us over and over again that all the doctors are doing the same thing. They follow a set protocol and follow the same book. They act as if it's cut and dry, AML in a patient w/ Ds. I suppose it is, but I'm sure there's not a single person out there reading this blog that wouldn't want the best of the best to be in complete control of their child's cancer treatment. Deep breathe....I'm not wanting to get worked up about it again. Just stay tuned.
On another note, here is what we know about Chelsea. This is all information we picked up from the fabulous nurses this weekend. We did meet with our real doctor (I guess you could say) and her nurse practitioner. Our doctor is called a fellow and she's studying under Dr. Gammis. She doesn't always know the answers immediately, but I feel good about her and I'm sure she'll find out any answers she doesn't know off hand.
Chelsea will have 6 treatments of chemotherapy. It's scheduled to take place over the next six months, but will likely take a little longer depending on how she handles it and how healthy we can keep her. Each treatment is a little bit different, but after each one, we'll have to stay in the hospital until her counts begin to recover. After chemo her immune system basically is wiped out and we have to wait until she's at least on her way back up before she can come home. She'll finish this first round tomorrow night and they're guessing it will be two to three weeks before we'll head home. Then we'll probably only be home for a week before it's time to start again! I'll explain how the chemo treatments are different when we get to them.
It will be VERY important to keep her healthy this winter. The little time she'll spend at home she still won't be up to par and will be very susceptible to catching bugs. While we're at the hospital she'll be exceptionally vulnerable and that's why we have to stay here, in case she gets a fever, infection etc. We hate to limit visitors, but we know you'll understand this and realize how EXTREMELY important it is to stay away if you are or have been sick, or if someone in your family has been sick lately, even if you think you didn't catch it. We'll also try and keep most her away from large crowds, lots of kids etc. Anyone who works around kids or around sick people should also probably wear a mask around her while her counts are low. And of course we'll all be practicing exceptional hand washing skills!
Today her red blood count was very low, so she had her first blood transfusion. I was nervous of course, but it went very well. Before the transfusion she was even weaker than yesterday, not walking at all and took a three hour nap this afternoon (during the transfusion!) After she got her rest and her new blood, she was up and rearing to go. She even did some walking this evening! It was so good to see her bounce back like that. Micah and Jason came to see us and she took a couple of pictures for us. Since we've been here Daddy has taught Chelsea how to make faces at all those nurses that kept poking her. It's okay though, they still think she's super cute!
Okay I'm soooo tired. Chelsea didn't want to go to sleep tonight b/c she was feeling so good AND she probably thinks midnight is her new bedtime! We'll have our work cut out for us when we try to go back to a schedule at home.
Hello world!
3 years ago
27 comments:
It was so good to see you all! Chelsea looks great, and her piggies...oh you know how I feel about those! Glad to see you got the pics, she is a great with the camera...not a flirt at all!
Carey - I love the pictures of Chelsea. She looks so happy! Keep advocating for Chelsea as you know more than anyone she needs the best treatment (sounds like she is getting it). You are doing a super job. Ryan teaching Chelsea faces is hysterical:)
Chelsea looks as adorable as ever. I LOVE that smile.
I'm sorry to hear you had a bad day. I hope that today is better. I also hope you were able to get some sleep.
Hugs from Elainah and I.
are you sure she is sick? haah!!
love the faces!!! and its nice to see a smile on mamas face too!!! :)
It is so good to see a smiling baby. Well if you don't know, we are friends of Micah and Jason. So anyways, we are coming to CMH tomorrow for an appointment for Isabella. I have somethings for Chelsea and for your family and we would like to be able to give them to you all. If this will work, let me know. My email address is megangudde@hotmail.com
Our Prayers are with you
Megan
hello
i have been reading your blog for a while..i get you.. i would be REALLY mad toooo if they give me a a hassle about my kids health..As a mom of a 25 year battle with doctors...i learned one lesson.. you are your childs number one advocate...and what i say goes...
feel free to cantact me.. iwork in the medical field.. i am a child avocate for hemohiliacs and aids....
my e-mail is irenekegel@hotmail.com
or call me at 1800-937-0050 x346..anytime..i would love to help you or just give you a soundboard...
have a blessed day
She is TOO dang cute! I didn't realize you had to stay there that long! YUCK! I was thinking just for the chemo. I'm so sorry honey. I wish I was close by to help. We love you all and will pray constantly!
I found your blog through Micah. Chelsea is just gorgeous! She looks so happy and full of life, I just can't help smiling when looking at her pictures. I am so sorry that your family has to go through this ordeal. I will be praying for Chelsea's recovery and for your strength during this challenging time.
Alison
Carey - your daughter is absolutely beautiful! I want you to know all of the Anderson side of the family is thinking of you and most of us are checking your updates. You have grown to be an amazing woman and mother! I would love to visit! However, we just battled MRSA and the flu and I would never want to put her in danger! We will pray for your family everyday and if you need anything please call me! 785-640-3048 Roxi, Craig, Bailey and Dalton Burchett
18123 S. Ratner
Overbrook, KS 66524
I have been reading your blog about Chelsea every day. She is such a beautiful little girl. It is obivous that she has a wonderful family who loves her so much. I know this has to be stressful for all of you. You are such an amazing mother! I am going to try to get some stuff and take over this weekend. I know this is also hard on Ryan and Logan. I am praying for Chelsea everyday and also for the rest of you.
Linda
I forgot to leave my whole name. I signed it just Linda. I am sure you know alot of Linda's. Once again let me say I am praying for all of you.
Linda Harmon
Such a beautiful girlie! I wish I could smooch her cheeks- and give you a HUGE hug.
Carey, the pictures of Chelsea are priceless. She knows she safe with her MaBa nearby. Sending hugs and tickles.
Terry ( Noah's Mom)
The pictures look great. She always have such a great smile. Abigail sends hugs and kisses.
Carol&Abigail You are in our prayers.
Beautiful to see the smiles on both your faces. Absolutely call that patient advocate. They need to make things right not only for your family but for any other family that's experienced that whole scenario over a weekend! Hope you get some rest. Praying for you all, especially Chelsea. Niksmom
Chelsea,
Hi it is Grandma Nora and I love you! Those new faces made me smile and I know we are going to get you better and home for good.
Brother misses you and says Hi Sissy.
Love Grandma
We are friends of the Dunbars and have been asked to pray for Chelsea and her family. We will do so and keep checking your blog for updates. Although we have never met, we will be close with our hearts.
The David Snyder Family
I just wanted to let you know about a little girl who just finished her chemo for AML. Talking to her Mom might help you greatly.
http://www.caringbridge.org/tn/kennedyjean/
Carey,
My wife is Kathy Robinson and she teaches at Hillcrest. She wanted me to look at the blog about Chelsea. I want you to know that I have contacted some friends of mine that raised a little boy just like Chelsea that had downs and had cancer. I want you to know that Kathy and I will be praying for Chelsea and your family.
Dane Robinson
angryyardgnome@yahoo.com
P.s. if you need anything please let us know.
Your sweet Chelsea and your family will be in my prayers. God performs miracles.
http://tonsofsons.wordpress.com/
I would be honored to put her on my blog.
Carrie,
Mike and I are thinking about you all. We are only a short distance away, so call us if you need anything.
Cathy Hausheer
That picture is too darn cute! Chelsea and your whole family are in our thoughts and prayers.
It's so great to see those pics of little Miss Chelsea smiling and making her faces!! Chris and I are praying and hoping for your 6 months to be up soon.
Please let us know if you need anything!!
Love & hugs,
Chris, Peggy & Cason
T21 Online
Geez Carey, Those pictures are adorable! She is the cutest thing. My prayers always!
I'm a new reader to your blog and have no idea how I found it, but those pictures you posted today pulled me out of lurkdom...oh my word you have one stinking cute daughter!! Praying for you as you go down this road. :)
d
CUTE, CUTE, CUTE. Did I say CUTE! Chelsea, you are one beautiful little girl and I love the silly faces!!! I agree with you about the doctors. We went through the same thing when Kaden was in the hospital. It was a different doctor every other week or so (at least that is how it felt), so then you get into the whole miscommunication mess. I am so proud of you for already getting in contact with the patient advocate about it...my husband and I waited and waited before we talked to anyone and by that time we were just fuming. So, good for you. We have been told numerous times that we as parents are his biggest advocate...these words are so true. Who wouldn't want what is best for their baby. I hope you get some much needed rest. I continue to keep you all in my prayers. Good night, Amy
Carey
What a great MaBa you are!! Traci is very excited to hear about all the words! The pictures are wonderful! It is great to see Chelsea (and you) smiling! I bet Chelsea will enjoy using that face dad taught with any PT in her life as well :)
We missed seeing you today but know our thoughts and prayers are with you.
Kim, Traci, and Sheryl
Post a Comment