Sunday, October 21, 2007

A Couple of Thoughts

I taught Jazzercise this morning...whew, that felt good! Thanks to all the wonderful students who attended and didn't go too hard on me! While I was there I was talking to a friend and telling her about Ryan and his situation, and I thought, why not just post on my blog about this?! You never know who is reading. So here it goes.

Most of you know that Ryan is self-employed ... Straight-Line Construction. He does just about anything, and he really does a phenomenal job, not that I'm biased or anything, but he's never left a job with an unhappy home owner. What you don't know though is the stresses of being self-employed are a little too much for us right now and he's been looking for a job. With me not working full time anymore, he really wants something stable that provides the basics... health insurance (not for Chels,that's already covered ;) ), retirement, and maybe even some vacation time. We've been trying to follow leads at AT&T, Weststar, and even with the city (he'd love to do inspections etc.), but to no avail. We keep running into these companies hiring within, or hiring someone with a connection. The reason I'm telling the world about this, is because maybe one of you have a connection, or ARE the connection we've been looking for. I know for a fact that if any company would just give him the opportunity they would be floored at his dedication. He's been told by so many of his customers what a hard worker he is, he is really the best at what he does. (If you're a customer reading, you can vouch for this by leaving a comment!) So, do you have a connection, or do you just have a lead that we're missing? Obviously we want to stay close to where we are, but of course he's willing to drive up to an hour. Either post a comment with your ideas or email me enseno153@aol.com Everyone is asking what we need, and I'd say at this point a job would be the best thing that could happen to us right now.

I hope he doesn't get mad at me for this, but he mentioned looking into going back to school for nursing. I guess all of this medical stuff has peaked his interest. It would be hard, but if he decides that's what he wants to do, of course we'll make it work.

One last thing, I had a Mary Kay customer call me today with an order and she said she held off on calling because she wasn't sure it was a good time...well, just so you know, I am still selling Mary Kay! Please don't hesitate to place an order because you think it would be bothersome, I can get it to you even if we're in the hospital, just call or email. And if you're interested in being a silent hostess for me, I've got free stuff for you, just let me know and I'll send you details...you don't have to be local either, MK ships in the mail just fine!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

My husband is a charge nurse in a psychiatric unit for children ages 5 to 12. He enjoys having the opportunity to be a part of those children's lives and hopefully helping them a little during their stay (they're supposed to get evaluated and properly medicated then have a plan made up of where they're going).

There are shortages of nurses everywhere so work possibilities are endless. The pay isn't anything phenomenal, but it's good.
My dad is self employed. He designs log homes on the computer, that was his transition from carpentry. He's quite good at it because he understands logs and and what looks good rather than just applying the same principles of regular home design to logs. When there are medical needs for himself or my mom he just pays for them out of pocket--there is no insurance, or retirement. My sister who has high medical expenses has her own coverage, as you said Chelsea does.

I hope Ryan finds something that suits him. As Darren was going through nursing school he found out that he can't stand nurses ... or wearing scrubs! ha!
That's what you get from going from farming to hospital stuff. Thankfully he found this psychiatric place in Vermont where he doesn't have to wear scrubs and is the only nurse on the unit.

Best wishes...and sorry for the extra long comment.
Sorry to overload you with family stories!

Niksmom said...

Carey, I don't live anywhere in your are and don't have any contacts for Ryan...Sorry! :-( But I did want you to know that I am thinking of you all and praying for something to come along.

Anonymous said...

I am posting as one of Ryan's "clients". Last year, CArey auctioned him off for one hour of work to raise money for Chelsea's Choice and I was lucky enough to have the winning bid. He came and helped my husband hang some sheetrock in the basement along with some mudding and taping. And the honest truth is it is the best looking wall in the basement. It is very professionally done and Ryan was an absolute joy to work with!
Kristine