Wednesday, October 03, 2007

Chelsea Unplugged

Round One: Win! Chelsea's blood work showed 0 blasts this morning!!! Can you believe it? ZERO!!!! That's great news (the doctors don't act excited about it, but I know it's definitely the right direction). We'll do a bone marrow biopsy again next Friday and that should tell us more information on how well this round of chemo worked.

We met with the infamous Dr. Gammis today. He was very nice, everything I expected. I can tell he's worked with lots of kids with Down syndrome and for me that's very important. Doctors that are well versed in T21 are just exceptional. It's like our pediatrician who caught this leukemia so quickly.

After we met with him they gave Chelsea the okay to come off of her fluids, so...drum roll please....they unhooked her! She's been running around like a maniac since they unplugged her, crawling under the crib, into the cabinets, everywhere! She's walking again, but still wobbly of course. She's taken a few nose dives, but nothing too dangerous.

The little rash on her bottom and face has spread to her tummy, legs and arms. The resident looked at it and thought maybe it was the detergent in the sheets and blankets here and suggested bringing some from home or bringing some of our detergent to wash things in. After he left though I started thinking she's always slept in clothes, and in particular the clothes she's been wearing the past 24 hours are straight from home, never washed here, so there's no reason she should be getting it on her tummy right now. We'll just keep watching, but I think if it gets worse they'll try some benedryl or something.

I talked to the social worker today and she thought that sending Logan to preschool with Grandma sounds logical and assured me he's resilient and she definitely helped calm my fears. More on that later!

20 comments:

Anonymous said...

Carey-

I wish we could do something more to help. If you need anything let me know. You are in our prayers!

Love ya, Vicky Millard & your Jazzercise family

Anonymous said...

Yea Chelsea, I'm so glad she's unhooked. Thank God for small things! Take care, we are praying every day.
Love, Vicki and Emme and family T21

Traci said...

Praise God! I am so happy to hear that she has 0 blasts!!! That is wonderful!! Looking at all of her pictures you can't tell the pretty little angel girl is even sick!! I am so happy that she is feeling so well!!
Traci & Ashlyn

Dori (Aviva's mommy) said...

What great news..I am so glad to hear she is doing better...Continued prayers.

HUGS!

Jacquie said...

What a little fighter you have! Go Chelsea!!

I have a friend who has APL (I can't spell it completely) but it is a form of AML the kind you Chelsea has. My friend had rashes to and since she has started her 2nd round they have come back. She also found it came from a drug called ATRA that she was taking.

Wishing you all the best.

Michelle said...

Doing the HAPPY DANCE!!! Can you hear us cheering from Washington DC??? So happy to hear the news and will continue to hold Chelsea, you, Ryan, Logan and family in our prayers.

Michelle - Matthew's Mom

Kitty, Nathanael's Mom said...

Way to go Chelsea!!!! What a resilient little lady!! I see our prayers are continually being answered yet bummer about the rash. Just the thought of the biopsy makes my thighs ache but I know it has to be done. I'm so thankful she's made it through round one. I can't imagine going through it myself, what a brave little girl and family

Shannon @ Gabi's World said...

Great News! I hope there is much more good news in your future!

Did you get my email about the button yesterday? I scrapped the whole thing and did it to match your site since you had an awesome makeover. Let me know if you like it. Down forget to clear cookies and temp Internet filles that the computer stores to make page uploads faster.

Shannon @ Gabi's World said...

oops thar was supposed to be don't forget

Megan said...

HOORAY!! That's so exciting about 0 blasts!! :)

Niksmom said...

Whew, breathing a huge sigh of relief for you all! Will continue to keep you in my prayers.

mommy to Kaden, Brody and angel Ava said...

Way to go Chelsea!!! You keep on fighting baby. Amy

Anonymous said...

Just letting you know that Chelsea is in my prayers!! Keep Fighting!
(Dana, Micha's friend)

Anonymous said...

What great news!!! When I saw her smile yesterday I thought, "This girl just has to be winning this battle."

I bet there is no holding her back now that she is free!!!! Maybe you can all rest a little better now.

Still praying for you all.

Anonymous said...

YAY for being wireless!!! It's SO much easier, isn't it?! Congrats on the zero blasts, too! Praying hard for that biopsy and 100% remission! You guys are doing great, stay strong!
Renee & Kennedy
www.carepages.com
site name: KennedyGarcia

Anonymous said...

Carey, We are preying for you, Chelsea and the hole family. This is a very dificulty time but you guys are winning!!! I'm very happy with all the good news. With Love

Marli (jazzecersice)

(just known about Chelsea yesterday). Give her a lots of kisses for me.

Angel Gabi's Mommy said...

YEAH CHELSEA!!! I am so glad things are going so well. Prayer works, so we will continue to keep up with that. We found a place today, I cannot believe this is all happening so quickly, but then again that is the story of our lives! Can't wait to see you guys!
BIG HUGS TO ALL!!
Micah

Marilyn said...

Here come cyberhugs your direction. All of you are much stronger than AML so you WILL beat this. Hang in there.

Love,
Marilyn Waugh

Anonymous said...

I'd take it as great news, too! And I'm so glad she got unhooked- WooHoo!

Anonymous said...

Yeah! Great update.

Johnny always gets a hospital skin rash too. From the air and the detergents. We found out (finally) that it can be avoided with his own linens/clothes and aquaphor as a full body slather once per day. If it still starts to flair, we add in a steroid ointment. (is she allowed?) One time they tried benadryl and we found out the hard way he's allergic. Strange med to react to. Keep her cute mama! Johnny knows she's spoken for, but is still interested from afar. :) Love you guys and wish we were closer to visit.