Please don't stare at me as I walk through Walmart. It's just plain rude. Yes, I realize that I often seem very cheerful and happy, but if you'll notice the sweet little bundle sitting in the front of my cart, you'll know why! And the motherease, well that's just a fancy name for that baby talk we use with our kids, and quite honestly all I'm doing is helping her develop important preliteracy skills. You see when you talk to your kids in 'that voice' you're making language fun. They're more apt to listen and enjoy what you're saying! If you're thinking I'm crazy and there's no reason to talk to your baby that much then let me just tell you why I feel the urgency to do so. You see every time I talk to her I'm helping tiny neurons in her brain make connections. Each time those neurons are connected and reinforced, she gets smarter and smarter. Each time you talk to your baby another connection is made. The urgency comes with the knowledge that by age three the ability to make new connections decreases significantly. Now I don't want you to stop talking to your kids when they turn three, but I hope you understand why I talk so much to my bright little toddler. She may not talk back, but that's okay with me because she finds me quite entertaining.
Do I talk to Chelsea more b/c she has Down syndrome? It's possible.
Do I talk cheesy and goofy a lot b/c I'm lacking some seriously needed sleep? Even more likely.
And to the grouchy lady in Walmart that didn't find my animation funny and didn't think my baby was absolutely adorable...bahumbug. If you're not even going to smile at her when she's attempting to get your attention in the check out line, at least wave back! I wouldn't want her to miss another opportunity to learn 'turn-taking'.
Hello world!
3 years ago
2 comments:
I totally understand where you are coming from. I can't stand it when Gabi says Hello to people in the store and they just look at her like she has 3 heads. I usually say loud enough where the person who just passed by can hear, "Well hello Gabi that is so nice of YOU to be so friendly and since OTHERS don't have the decency to at least say hello back, mommy will!"
You go for it! You are a great mom to understand that what you are doing is far superior to what others are doing! Hang in there! Hopefully what you are doing will catch on!
Post a Comment