Sunday, September 23, 2007

My First Baby



Anyone who knows me knows my first baby was Allie. Ryan got her for me right after I graduated from college. I was so excited, I was an adult, and I could finally have my own dog...no one could tell me I couldn't have a pet anymore. Little Allie was babied for quite some time, and was not thrilled when Logan was born. Although she spent the past few years outside of the lime light, she was still spoiled. Her doggy treats were replaced by daily binging on the kids' leftovers (only food that "fell" onto the floor). She lost her place in my bed but got to sleep on Daddy's comfy old shirt, which was fine with her. And instead of taking pictures of her being cute, she was forced to pose in pictures with the kids. She was definately a good sport though b/c she sat still even when the kids pinched, pulled and slobbered on her. Well little miss Allie, being the escape artist that she was, escaped one last time today. In fact we hadn't even realized she had snuck out until we got a knock on our door. Ryan answered the door and I peeked out and got a glimpse of my baby in the street. I ran outside and fell to the ground sobbing. Ryan picked her up and set her on the back of his truck, but she was already gone, and there was nothing we could do. I'm still in shock and I feel awful that we couldn't keep her safe. Thank God she didn't suffer, she died instantly. She was an awesome pet, I couldn't have asked for any better, and I'm glad we had her for the 6 years. She taught our kids so much. I truly believe they are gentler, kinder human beings because of their exposure to this little family pet. She instilled a sense of caring for animals in my kids and I'm thankful for that. Goodbye my little girl. We'll miss you!

 

 

 

 
Posted by Picasa

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh Carey I am crying right now! We loved your little sweetie too and babysitted for her many times. I know how much it hurts and what a hole it leaves in your heart. I am so sorry you have to experience that. We love you.... Eric and Carolyn

Amy Flege said...

ohh carey.. iam soo sad for you. iam sorry you have to go through this. losing a pet is awful....been there - done it. just remember all the great times you had with her... she will forever be with you!! hey our maddie will watch over her up in doggie heaven!

Angel Gabi's Mommy said...

Carey I am so sorry. We will definitely say an extra prayer for Allie tonight. I am sure that she and Gabi will take good care of each other. Hugs to you all!!!

Shannon @ Gabi's World said...

Oh Carey! How sad! I know pets are so much like children especially when you have had them for so long.

At least the person came to your door to tell you. That was the right thing to do.

Kei said...

Oh, Carey!!! I am so sorry! (((HUGS)))

Me said...

Awww Carey...I'm so sorry. It's tough, I know. We lost our dog suddenly a couple months ago too. She was a beautiful dog and you've got some beautiful pictures of her. Especially that first one with her and Chelsea.

Jan Steck Huffman said...

oh Carey, I am so , so sorry. Losing a pet is so horrendous, believe me I know. You might remember us losing Rudy the lab...

hugs! You will see Allie again at Rainbow Bridge where she is waiting with our Rudy for us.

Michelle said...

Allie had a great home and a wonderful famly! Very sorry for the loss. Hugs

Unknown said...

Oh Carey, I'm so very sorry at the loss of Allie........loosing a beloved pet is so very painful.

Allie looks so loved and adored and her master and siblings loved her so very much!

My heart aches for you....as I believe pets are very important members of the family and their loss is so significant.

Lots of hugs for you.

Leah Spring said...
This comment has been removed by the author.