Wednesday, September 26, 2007

Day One, Diagnosis

Well it appears that the content of our blog will now take a turn. We are facing by far the worst news we've ever had to hear today. Really, Down syndrome is no big deal, this is what I never wanted to face.

Chelsea had blood work done yesterday because I was a little concerned about her behavior. She was very tired (slept 14 1/2 hours Monday) and she was walking very clumsily (hence all the bruises). Ryan and I also noted that she wasn't eating like normal (she's quite the oinker usually!) Well during her check up the Dr. noted petichiae on her tummy and after checking her all out he ordered some blood work. He called us into his office and sat us down to give us the news this morning. (I knew it was bad as he called me personally on my cell phone.) I asked him if I should bring my husband and he quickly said, "yes".

Diagnosis: leukemia. We really don't have much information right now. He recommended we go right up to the children's hospital and get checked in. They'll redo her blood work tonight and do a bone marrow test in the morning. They will have to sedate her for this, but it will tell us what kind of leukemia we're working with. Once we have that information we can decide on appropriate treatments and we'll also know more about cure rates etc. We appreciate everyones thoughts and prayers and we will of course be updating as much as possible through the blog. Here we go!

22 comments:

Michelle said...

We will be with you every day of this journey. Please know there are so many supporters for Chelsea, you and the family. Lots of prayers, hugs and love for you all!!

Michelle - mom to Matthew

Laura said...

Oh Carey,
Ditto what Michelle said!
Keeping you guys in our thoughts and prayers.

Anonymous said...

Keeping sweet Chelsea in our prayers as you begin a journey you hoped to never have to take. Many hugs to you and your family Carey.

Katrina & Brant and family

Megan said...

I'm praying hard for all of you Carey.

Megan

Jan Steck Huffman said...

thinking of you all............and prayers.

Amanda said...

I'll be keeping Chelsea & the rest of your family in my prayers constantly!!! Please let us know if you need anything!!

Anonymous said...

Carey, Ryan, Chelsea, Logan and everybody- We're praying for you all. The girls are going to have everybody at their schools pray too! Gracie is going to pray too, and I'm about to send Anthony an email so he can have everybody studying abroad in Italy and Italian locals pray. That's a whole bunch of praying! I've been doing research since I talked to you earlier. Sounds pretty positive. You guys can do this. Let us know what we can do to help. :) Hugs and kisses for all. Love, Annie p.s. Love the Chelsea's Champ's movie.

Cynthia said...

Thinking of yall and praying daily. We will all be here with you! Call me anytime day or night.

Cynthia

Anonymous said...

this is every moms fear but Carey you and Chelsea are strong and you won't walk alone, we all love and care for your family.
You are always the one who is giving, well now is the time to take a little. That is what friends do.
We are all praying for you all and want you to know we love you.

Tammy and Parker said...

Carey,

Not the best of adventures to have to undertake, I know.

I hope YOU know that there are so many of us who will be praying for you and we'll be here to help you get through it all.

Let us know what you need.

Many, many, hugs and sweet healing vibes coming your way.

Anonymous said...

Chelsea's spirit is strong. That little one is a walking miracle. How many times have you already been amazed at what she can do and has accomplished? You won't walk through this alone. We are all here anytime day or night for whatever you need. Another pray circle has been started for you with my email buddies. All of our love and prayers are with you all right now. Remember what we talked about this morning. Our home is Logan's home whenever he wants or needs it. Love to you all!

Shannon @ Gabi's World said...

I am praying for each of you. My heart is heavy for you, but my faith is strong! We had a scare with Gabi of the same diagnosis, but everything came back cleared for her. I will be passing the news of Chelsea's diagnosis to my church's prayer group and my bible fellowship class. God Bless! He is in control! As the cliche goes...He brought you to it and He can bring you through it.

Anonymous said...

Carey,
I will be thinking about you and sending lots of prayers your way. You can do this you are strong and so is Chelsea. I know you guys have a lot of fight in you. Let me know if you need anything even if it's just my ear to listen. I will tell everyone to put your family on a prayer list. I will be at Childrens Mercy on Friday for testing with Matt. I will try to stop and visit. I'm sending positive thoughts and prayers your way.

homealonemom said...

My friend's daughter has Down syndrome and had ALL when she was 8. She went into remission and has never had a relapse. She is now 21. We'll pray for you!!

Anonymous said...

Many thoughts & prayers coming your way.

Michelle said...

Dear sweet girl! You are strong and your momma is just as strong! Know that you will be kept close in our hearts in prayer. Carey, please do let me know if you need anything...anything at all! Much love from Elliot, Nora, Isaac and I.

Debra said...

We will be wrapping you up with our thoughts and prayers.

Debra and Hope

Angel Gabi's Mommy said...

Oh Carey!
If there is anything please do not hesitate we are here for you guys 100%. I will add Chelsea to our prayer list. I will call you soon!
We love you guys...huge hugs!
Micah, Jason, Gracie, Angel Gabi, and Baby

Anonymous said...

sending you all of our love.

Anonymous said...

Praying for sweet Chelsea and all of you. I know she will get through this, she is such a blessing. Hang in there!

Anonymous said...

Hi, my name is Renee and my daughter Kennedy is 3 with Ds and just finished chemo for acute myelogenous leukemia. (AML) I am so sorry to hear about Chelsea, we will follow her progress and keep her in our prayers. Please feel free to email me if you have any questions or just need an ear. My email address is CAmommy2KJ@aol.com and Kennedy's page can be found at www.carepages.com and the site name is KennedyGarcia.
God bless!
Renee & Kennedy

Michelle said...

Sending lots of love and prayers your way...
Michelle Adams from Gifts