Saturday, September 29, 2007

Day 4, Joyously Uneventful!

This is the first day since arriving at the hospital we haven't faced blood draws, IV's, x-rays, tests, test results and hospital staff all day long. Chelsea woke up with a soaking wet bed. I think I scared the nurse assistant on the first night b/c I insisted she didn't wake Chelsea to change her diaper, but that was before she even had an IV! Now she's got fluids and chemo running all day and night, so her diaper is soaked every hour! I stressed that they need to change it hourly tonight if possible.

Logan came up here with Grandpa and we had a great afternoon together. We ate lunch with Aunt Jen, Uncle Rene, Lizzy and Aaron and I felt like a real human being again. At lunch there was a pickle on my plate and for just a moment I thought, I bet Chelsea would like this...then I remembered she wasn't with us. That will be a hard truth to face over the next few months as we continue to provide Logan with some normalcy all the while protect Chelsea from the outside world. It was a beautiful day though, just perfect for an outside rendezvous. The hospital has a great play area and the most unique "piano". It's made into the side walk and as you walk across the giant "keys" the music comes from speakers in the tree above.

Chelsea was so excited to see her brother. She lit up like the old Chelsea, and said "duh, duh, duh" when he came in the room. She was reaching for him with both arms and when he approached she gave him the biggest bear hug around his neck and wouldn't let go! He was excited to see her too, but he soon got distracted by all the new gadgets in the room. After lunch and playing we tried to entertain him in the hospital room, but it was next to impossible. He was being too wild. We decided he would have to go back home with Grandma and Grandpa tonight. It's just still too new for us to try and deal with him in the small confined place. We had wanted him to spend the night with me in the Ronald McDonald house and stay until Monday night, but we decided he wasn't ready for that and maybe we weren't either. It seems like all day long we're learning tidbits of information about the cancer and chemo, and with him there we can't read up on the notebook they gave us. I think once we get better at this it won't be a big deal for him to sleep over. It crushed me to say good bye to him tonight. I wanted him to come into the house and curl up in bed with me all night. He's the best snuggler and I miss him like crazy already. I can tell this will be a major strain on our entire family and I hope Logan can pull through, be strong and have faith that we still love him and aren't trying to push him away right now. Our intentions are to continue to make all of our time together very meaningful and focus on him as much as possible.

I did notice this evening Chelsea felt a little warm on her forehead. Her temperature was a little higher then it typically runs for her, 98.2. I took it again in an hour and it was 99.3. While they don't consider it a fever until it hits 101.5, I know that she's running warmer than normal. I've asked that they check on her more often tonight, and tonight's nurse did tell me that one of the side effects of the chemo she has now is a fever. Whew!!! Still if it got up to 101.5 they would treat with antibiotics b/c there's no way to know for sure if it's because of a side effect or b/c of an infection. Everyone stresses how dangerous a fever is though, so we'll keep a close eye on this!

8 comments:

Angel Gabi's Mommy said...

I am sure they have told you this, but once it is 101.5 they run cultures, which then take approx. 48 hrs. to develop if it is any sort of bug. Unfortunately her body is adjusting to alot of new stuff being pushed in and I am sure this will happen somedays. All we can do is pray that it does not become any more serious than that.
I am so glad you were able tyo spend time with Logan. If he gets a chance to come up this next week, be sure to have child life paged, so they can help explain what is going on with his sissy, not to mention he can go to a play group!
Stay strong, be true to your emotions! You have every right to feel any way you want. Just remember Chelsea is a fighter and she will get through these trying times!
Love, Hugs, and Prayers
Micah, Jason, Gracie, Angel Gabi, and Baby Acker

Anonymous said...

I am so glad Logan got to come up today and that you got to spend some family time. I have been thinking about him so much since you called me the other day. I can't imagine how torn you must be feeling right now. He is a tough kid, too and he knows how much he is loved. Maybe that is one of the blessings of the Down's. Logan is already such a caring and compassionate little man. I just know he will adjust to all of this and become an even better person. He really will make a great son-in-law! :)

We love you guys! Have a restful night and we will check in with you in the morning.

Anonymous said...

Thinking of your family in Indiana! Many hugs from Miss E and I.

Anonymous said...

Carey- What a wonderful treat to have Logan come visit! He's such a great kid, with a wonderful mommy! Thinking about you constantly, get your rest! I will keep checking in with you, Leah

Anonymous said...

I'm glad to hear that you got to have some quality family time and just be together. :-)

KATY

Anonymous said...

Sounds like just what the doctor orders for mom, dad and Logan---a day out in the sunshine. I know Grandma Carolyn and Grandpa Eric took excellent care of Chelsea while you were out! Love, Grandma Barb

Anonymous said...

We are thinking of you and still praying for you all.
With parents and the support team you have for Logan he will be fine and Carey you can feel the love you have in your heart for your kids when you read your words. Logan knows too.....
Hugs...

Anonymous said...

Carey and family - I just wanted you to know that me and Lily are praying for Chelsea everyday!!!! And also keeping you and your family in our prayers to give you strength to get through all of this. I can only imagine how difficult and scarey this must all be, please know we are thinking of you!!!!

And give lots of hugs to that beautfiful girl from me and Lily!

Lisa and Lily (T21 board)