Friday, September 28, 2007

Day 3, The Fight Begins

Okay, I'll admit it, I lost it. I've done so well just trying to soak in all the information this week. It is happening so fast and I know the cure rates are good, so I just focus on that, but tonight, it's here, it's in my face. Reality has actually hit me as we're preparing to give Chelsea her chemo. It will be on her IV for 4 entire days. We were talking to the nurse about how it happens. She told us about how they take all the precautions as it's so powerful. They "suit up" just to get the IV bag of chemo ready. They have to be very careful none of it leaks out b/c it would burn someones skin. I was also reading the papers that tell what the drugs are and the side effects are as well. I finally just said it out loud. I am so scared. And then the tears began flowing. I can't explain this feeling. Yes I've been scared all week, but when I'm actually faced with injecting this poison into my baby's body, I just can't handle it. Maybe it's because I've seen others who have been through awful situations at the hospital and I'm just extra cautious and scared. There are two little buddies of Chelsea who's story's keep replaying in my mind. One baby was overdosed w/ pain medicine and barely survived. He know has lifelong problems b/c of the overdose. The other little one of course is our little angel Gabi. How do we know when we hand our children over that we're making the right decision? How do we know that we're not making a decision we'll regret for the rest of our lives? I just fear that if something happened after giving her this toxic medication I would never forgive myself. I would always wish I would have taken her home to live with us in our arms until the end. There's no statistics, no doctors, no literature that can assure me she will be okay. I have to come to the realization that I am putting it all into the Lord's hands. I am handing it all over to Him tonight, my baby, my love, my life.

As I back track through today's events I will try to explain things to the best of my ability. The lab woke us up this morning ... you guessed it they needed more blood. Thank God for Roy! He got it on the first try! It was a calm morning and I finally decided I needed a bath, so of course once I get in there, I hear Ryan through the door, "the doctors are here." I hurried out, barely dressed and they shared some results with us, AML. They determined from her labs that she would need more platelets before she could go into surgery for her Hickman catheter and her spinal tap. After they gave her a unit of platelets, they had to ... yep get more blood. Roy had already gone home, and the lady sent up was pretty sassy with me when I asked her if she was good with babies and people who are hard to stick. She told me she does it everyday. Hmmmm, well I know you do it everyday, but I was trying to tell her Chelsea is a hard stick for the most experienced! Well, she tried twice and no luck, so they called someone else in who got the sample. I honestly can't count all the holes in her body.

While they were taking this sample Ryan, my mom and I met with the two oncologists to discuss the drug treatment we wanted to use with Chelsea. There is a standard treatment they've been using for a few years now w/ children w/ Ds who have AML, but there is also a new study that just began enrolling children at our hospital on Wed. So if we chose this new treatment plan, she would be the first child w/ T21 / AML at this hospital. (AAML0431) The doctor explained to us that the new regimen was put together by a group of doctors who are the best in the field and they are hoping this new plan will decrease the toxicity of the chemo. The standard treatment causes many long term effects. They see a 91% survival rate, but many of the children suffer severe complications from damage to their heart and other organs, so with that toxicity considered, only 89% survive. The damage chemo can do to your heart is even more dangerous to children w/ Ds. Their hearts can be severely damaged whether or not they started with a healthy heart or they have had heart complications since birth. Of course we want to protect Chelsea now and in the future, so because the doctors are optimistic that the prognosis of the new study will be similar but the toxicity will be lessened, we chose this new regimen of chemotherapy.

We went straight down to radiation after the meeting where they explained to us the procedure. I had a slight moment of panic as I envisioned the worst...a lung collapsing, her breathing not working right, I worried she would be intubated and then unable to breathe on her own after the procedure. Fortunately it all went smoothly! When they let us see her in recovery she was screaming frantically. She immediately calmed down when I picked her up, then went into the crying again. She had to sleep some of the medicine off before she was herself again. We took her down to the cafeteria to eat b/c once they start the chemo tonight she won't be able to leave the floor for four days when it is finished.

And that brings us back to now. Waiting for chemo. ETA. 20 minutes. Chelsea is sleeping in Grandma's arms and she may not even wake when they begin. I wish I could explain the inner struggle I have with this. How can something so dangerous help her? It's like fighting the bad guy with another bad guy.

Lots of people are asking what we need or what they can do right now. I think I may start a list on the side bar of things that she / we may need to make things a little easier on this journey. It's even the simplest inexpensive things that mean a lot to us right now b/c we just don't have the time to do much.

I will leave you with one of my favorite sayings, ~ Having children is like watching your heart walk around outside your body. ~ My heart aches tonight more than I can put into words. I am surrendering everything and walking blindly right now. I will not fall, I will stay standing until the end. I will do anything I need to do for my baby.

And Grandma Carolyn and Grandma Barb say hi to everyone!

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I dont know you-- I just got your link from Rhett's blog. I cant even imagine the struggle you are facing right now and I will pray for your comfort and for Chelsea.

Becky

Anonymous said...

I know you and no truer words have ever been spoken than the ones in your last paragraph. You are terrified and overwhelmed but you will stay standing and you will all walk through this. My prayer for you tonight is that the Lord gives you the strength you need to stand back and trust Him and the doctors. Remember also that no matter how alone you feel right now, we are all here ready to help you and your family stand and fight this disease.

Love to you all!

Anonymous said...

I do not know if you remember me or not, I met you at Leah's babyshower. I will never forget Little Miss Chelsea was ALL smiles the whole time. What a beautiful smile! I am truly sorry that you and your family are going through all of this. Your strength is very admirable. I wish you all the best and my continuous prayers will definately be with Chelsea and family.

Angie

mommy to Kaden, Brody and angel Ava said...

I read about Chelsea through Gabi's blog. I want you to know that my prayers and thoughts are with you and will continue to be with you all. She is truly a beautiful little girl. I am so sorry that your family and Chelsea have to go through such a difficult time. Take care of each other. Amy

Michelle said...

Hugs to you...

Anonymous said...

Vicki N. just asked me to pray for little Chelsea....I did not even realize that she had Down's like Vicki's Emme. They look so physically alike! What a beautiful, innocent, loving child you have who depends on you for it all. You have a tough road ahead, but the best advice I think is not to second guess the decisions you make in choosing treatment. Once you choose from the few horrible choices there are, go with it and remind yourself that you are only human, and being that, you can only do your best and give the rest to God. As a mom, too, I know we tend to say we give to God, but how many of us take it back every day and worry ourselves sick? I can't say don't do that because I lost 2 precious years with my son just researching what he had instead of spending that time with him. He's 26 now and perfect. I pray that God will do that for you, Chelsea and your whole family. As you know, prayer moves mountains!

Mary C.

Angel Gabi's Mommy said...

We are here for you guys every step of the way. If you have not received some of these items by the next time we visit, I will pick them up for you.
Carey, is the hardest thing you have ever dealt with, but you will find strength in yourself you did not know you even had. First and for most she is your precious little girl, that alone gives you your strength you never knew even existed. You will have good days and you will have terrible days, whatever you do do not deny yourself of the good and bad. When our children hurt, we hurt! Prayers for Chlesea are coming from across the nation, God will be with her and he is on your side! Not to mention Chelsea has a pretty special little angel watching over her as well:)
Love to all!!!
Micah, Jason, Gracie, Angel Gabi, and Baby Acker

Amy Flege said...

my heart is aching.....love you guys!

Anonymous said...

Carey,
I can't even begin to imagine all that you and Ryan are feeling right now, but I do know how much my heart is breaking for you. I cry for you as a mother who has to make this very difficult decision and I cry for you as a friend. No parent should ever have to go through this--EVER!!

My heart aches for little Chelsea--I feel such a bond with her after spending time with you all in KC. I love that little girl and am praying everyday for her as well as you, Ryan, & Logan.

Chris and I care about all of you and we want you to know that all of our most positive thoughts and prayers are with you.

If you need anything, don't hesitate to contact me. I'll do whatever I can to help, even if it's just to listen when you need to cry or vent. I'm here.

Please give that sweet girl a hug from me, and tell her that Cason sends smooches also! Take care, Carey--we love you!!

Peggy
T21